Non-IFR pilot instructed to intercept LOC

but there is a knowledge expectation about a VFR pilot knowing how to “intercept the ILS”, which was the instruction given to the OP. That carries additional expectations related to altitudes and performance that a VFR pilot is not aware of. As others have noted, the frequency for the localizer is also not on a VFR chart, so where is a VFR pilot to get it in flight.

unable is a fine response.
Or 'what's a localizer?

but there is a knowledge expectation about a VFR pilot knowing how to “intercept the ILS”
ATC has no way of knowing if the pilot of a VFR flight is a "VFR pilot" or if he has the equipment, or knowledge, of how to track a localizer. They expect the pilot to tell them if the pilot is unable to comply with a given instruction.

ATC has no way of knowing if the pilot of a VFR flight is a "VFR pilot" or if he has the equipment, or knowledge, of how to track a localizer. They expect the pilot to tell them if the pilot is unable to comply with a given instruction.

true, but not the context of the comment, which was responding to “it’s not illegal for a VFR pilot to track the ILS”. Not illegal, but well outside the knowledge level.

The OP responded with an unable.

Looking back during my primary training, I don’t think I knew how to dial in an ILS and track it. Probably the same for the OP. Not a huge deal to say unable.
I can’t remember that far back. That’s why I asked. I don’t think it’s a big deal either. Do it if ya can or say unable if ya can’t. Trying to figure out why it’s a big deal.

Back