Non alcoholic beer.....

Piper18O

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Piper18O
Are you required to wait 8 hours after drinking a non-alcoholic beer to fly?

No alcohol, no problem. Doesn't matter what the name of the beverage is.

I do realize that if there is no alcohol there is no problem, my concern is non-alcoholic beer can have very small amounts of alcohol from 0.0 to 0.5% and still be considered non-alcoholic. Does that complicate things?

I do realize that if there is no alcohol there is no problem, my concern is non-alcoholic beer can have very small amounts of alcohol from 0.0 to 0.5% and still be considered non-alcoholic. Does that complicate things?

Only if you drank like 55 gals of it in one sitting. Of course, I'd question your mental state for drinking non-alcoholic beer in the first place....

Its like the people who claim the THC got in their system from a contact buzz...yeah riiiiiiiiight.

Perhaps you (the OP) should simply adopt the safe attitude of "when in doubt, don't do it"

Only if you drank like 55 gals of it in one sitting. Of course, I'd question your mental state for drinking non-alcoholic beer in the first place....

Yeah, I get what you're saying. My only response is that beer tastes really good with some foods, Mexican for example. If I am going to fly and I can't have beer, non-alcoholic would be the only other option.

14 CFR 91.17 (1) Within 8 hours after the consumption of any alcoholic beverage;

So what is an alcoholic beverage by definition:

27 CFR 16.10 => Meaning of Terms => "Alcoholic beverage. Includes any beverage in liquid form which contains not less than one-half of one percent (.5%) of alcohol by volume and is intended for human consumption."

So less than .5% you're good as long as you meet the other requirements of 14 CFR 91.17

Should be pretty easy to do the math for a worst case scenario of 0.5% beer and what it would take to get your BAC to a detectable level. Remember the regulatory limit is 0.04%. That would take a LOT of 0.5% beer.

That said, I have been thoroughly impressed with some of the current NA beers that have been hitting the market. Sam Adams Just The Haze is my personal favorite. That stuff is delicious, goes well with dinner or by the pool, and actually feels like I’m drinking a beer….without the after effects of the alcohol.

Edit to add: Thanks @Martin__ for the added regulation. For reference, a dose of many cough syrups would be exceeding that limit.

14 CFR 91.17 (1) Within 8 hours after the consumption of any alcoholic beverage;

So what is an alcoholic beverage by definition:

27 CFR 16.10 => Meaning of Terms => "Alcoholic beverage. Includes any beverage in liquid form which contains not less than one-half of one percent (.5%) of alcohol by volume and is intended for human consumption."

So less than .5% you're good as long as you meet the other requirements of 14 CFR 91.17

Thanks, that’s a good to know.

BTW orange juice similarly has alcohol between zero and 0.5%.

Got to knock off that sizzurp before flying, I guess.

Nauga,
and a bottle of instant idiot

:vomit: Bleh!!!

I seriously cannot figure out how that’s a thing. I dang near vomit just smelling cough syrup. I couldn’t fathom drinking it on purpose for “fun.”

My 81 year old dad drinks non-alcoholic beer WHILE he drives only - in other words when he is "drinking and driving". Regular beer just before and just after he exits the car. I guess this is one legitimate use of this type of product.

I have my hands full.

We always had N/A Beer when deployed post desert storm…never had an issue drinking and flying…

You actually have to surrender your pilot's certificate altogether if you knowingly drink non-alcoholic beer. It will be returned to you as a drone operator's license.

Lol, you beat me to it, and the drone operator part is an touch I didn’t think of.

That's literally nothing. Kvass is higher than that and you can't get drunk off of it

My 81 year old dad drinks non-alcoholic beer WHILE he drives only - in other words when he is "drinking and driving". Regular beer just before and just after he exits the car. I guess this is one legitimate use of this type of product.

I have my hands full.

I only drink NA beer. I used to drink it while driving, I have since found its illegal in most states I drive in. I don’t see myself getting in trouble for it but its not worth finding out to me.

Athletic Brewing Company makes only non-alcoholic beers, and their IPAs are actually quite good. I enjoy flying into KCDK, having a NA beer with lunch on the deck, then flying back to X60 to hangar up.
NA beers do have their place and time.

:vomit: Bleh!!!

I seriously cannot figure out how that’s a thing. I dang near vomit just smelling cough syrup. I couldn’t fathom drinking it on purpose for “fun.”
That's why its mixed with Sprite and jolly ranchers. I bet it gets rather delicious with that much sugar content.

Heineken makes a 0.0%. Which apparently is a bit tricky to make. Tastes ‘decent’.
EF7DA691-194C-4949-9F9D-3B624E3BE8B1.jpeg

Non-alcoholic beer? Reminds me of this bit..

Not sure I really care if it’s legal to fly after drinking NA beer or not. So far all I’ve tried - and I’ve tried a few - taste like wheat bread soaked in something unsavory. That said, I may give the Athletic Brewing IPA a try just in case…

IPA's in and of themselves don't taste like beer to me. The NA beers I've tried taste like Sprite combined with something left in the fridge too long. Agree that Mexican food and beer go great together, but I just fly then eat.

Not sure I really care if it’s legal to fly after drinking NA beer or not. So far all I’ve tried - and I’ve tried a few - taste like wheat bread soaked in something unsavory. That said, I may give the Athletic Brewing IPA a try just in case…
So you're saying they taste like beer.

Athletic Brewing Company makes only non-alcoholic beers, and their IPAs are actually quite good. I enjoy flying into KCDK, having a NA beer with lunch on the deck, then flying back to X60 to hangar up.
NA beers do have their place and time.
I admit it, you made me look. HITH can you have a company called "Athletic" AND NOT CALL YOUR AFFINITY CLUB THE ATHLETIC SUPPORTERS?!?!?!@!@??!

Nauga,
who has a lot of free time today

Yeah, I get what you're saying. My only response is that beer tastes really good with some foods, Mexican for example. If I am going to fly and I can't have beer, non-alcoholic would be the only other option.
I don’t eat Mexican before I fly UNLESS I’m flying by myself

Its like the people who claim the THC got in their system from a contact buzz...yeah riiiiiiiiight.

Pine Knob. Van Halen. Pavillion seats. Center section. There were 6 of us there, none of us smoked weed. But we were a hole in a pot donut that was pretty much the whole pavillion for 3+ hours. You do the math.

Pine Knob. Van Halen. Pavillion seats. Center section. There were 6 of us there, none of us smoked weed. But we were a hole in a pot donut that was pretty much the whole pavillion for 3+ hours. You do the math.

1994, Pink Floyd at the Silver Dome. It was a 5 or 6 hour concert if I remember correctly. No math required for that one!

Allman Bros, with my boyfriend down in the front near the stage, general admission (standing). There was more than tobacco being smoked. The air was heavy and the crowd was pressing forward. I decided I didn’t want to be crushed by the crowd or trapped in a fire (my biggest issue with people smoking anything at a concert) so I told my boyfriend I had to move elsewhere, expecting him to come with me. He told me I was crazy and continued boogying to the music.

The Allman Bros were his greatest heroes, and inspiration. He was in a band himself and owned a Les Paul just like Duane’s so I understood what this concert meant to him. Nevertheless I had to get out of there, so I told him I’d meet him at the car after it was over, and I went up to the balcony and stood in one of those doorways where I was much more “socially distant”, and the air was cleaner, and watched the rest of it from there.

Maybe I was a bad girlfriend for doing that. Anyway, I’ve no idea if breathing second hand pot smoke can result in detectable levels of THC but I wouldn’t be at all surprised.

Drinking non alcoholic beer within 50 feet of the aircraft is prohibited. Or was that smoking?

only you rich airplane owners could afford pavilion seats. us poor folks were up on the hill. I actually worked clean up there for a summer in high school. had a great supply of clips, pipes and other "lost" items that summer.

only you rich airplane owners could afford pavilion seats. us poor folks were up on the hill. I actually worked clean up there for a summer in high school. had a great supply of clips, pipes and other "lost" items that summer.

LOL. This was in the below the poverty line years, when you had to camp out at retailers that were ticketmaster outlets.

Back