No obvious place to say Hello...

SubHunter

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SubHunter
Greetings from another "Rusty Pilot" knocking off the oxides...

Today there are about 10x-20x more control towers than when I first started flying...

Highly-controlled airspace is everywhere, and Electronic Flight Bags are all-the-rage, enabled by digital media, bandwidth, (and powered by hopefully non-exploding lithium batteries) eliminating fat, back-breaking chart and manual stuffed flight bags of days gone by...

Hand-held GPS enabled transceivers have eliminated NORDO situations, and the FAA is eliminating hundreds of VOR radio NAVAIDS that cost them ~$110M per year to maintain and operate - fear not GPS will save us all!!!

Ballistic Recovery Systems cover for failed, rivet-less composite airframes and sloppy airmanship - - - today's "air bags of the sky"

...Ahhh wonderful technology protects us (hope the DPRK doesn't give us any EMP "presents.")

It's a brave new aviation world... hmmm... all tongue in cheek of course (or maybe not)...

Technology is the future, even though it's hard for some to accept. Adapt now or be lost in the dark ages.

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome ,as one who comes from the chart and pencil days,I love the new technology.

Greetings from another "Rusty Pilot" knocking off the oxides...

Today there are about 10x-20x more control towers than when I first started flying...

Highly-controlled airspace is everywhere, and Electronic Flight Bags are all-the-rage, enabled by digital media, bandwidth, (and powered by hopefully non-exploding lithium batteries) eliminating fat, back-breaking chart and manual stuffed flight bags of days gone by...

Hand-held GPS enabled transceivers have eliminated NORDO situations, and the FAA is eliminating hundreds of VOR radio NAVAIDS that cost them ~$110M per year to maintain and operate - fear not GPS will save us all!!!

Ballistic Recovery Systems cover for failed, rivet-less composite airframes and sloppy airmanship - - - today's "air bags of the sky"

...Ahhh wonderful technology protects us (hope the DPRK doesn't give us any EMP "presents.")

It's a brave new aviation world... hmmm... all tongue in cheek of course (or maybe not)...
10x-20x more Towers??? Just how old are you? Welcome to the joint.

You must be rusty and old if a P-3 is your avatar, I know because I worked on them many moons ago.

AKBill - Thanks for your efforts to keep the venerable birds flying.

Yes the harsh saying in Navy circles re. the P-8A Poseidon relative to the P-3 Orion is --- "Twice the aircraft, Half the capability." There is a real reason turboprops were used - the technology fit the mission profile well - turbofans in this case was a huge fuel-sucking mistake."

Proud of being rusty and old. Better than being young and inexperienced... ;-)

Aviate, Navigate, Communicate

Welcome ,as one who comes from the chart and pencil days,I love the new technology.

Agree the tech is nice and convenient, just hope the batteries and bandwidth is there when you really need it.

I've worked in info denial for decades, following the sub days. It's amusing to see folks "implode" when the local power grid goes down, and they have no way to charge their smart phones and their wireless links drop... pencils and charts don't have batteries. ;-) AKA what's your "Plan B, C, D"

There is a real reason turboprops were used - the technology fit the mission profile well - turbofans in this case was a huge fuel-sucking mistake."
I agree that the turboprop was a marriage for the mission. Just wondering if the P-8 is going to take on other missions that the P-3 did such as flying into hurricanes to collect weather data.

An odd way to introduce yourself.

My psychic powers tell me this is someone who typically has several trains of thought going on simultaneously so he picked one to focus on, in depth, rather than: "Hi I'm John Doe. I'm x years old and I live in Podunk, USA."

Rich military history with many stories he'd have to kill us if he told us. How 'm I doing?

And about 300,000 less pilots. Interesting isn't it? ;)

Welcome back.

Thank you. Yes - it's sad so many pilots were distracted from flying by family and non-flying career events.

AOPA is trying real hard to get the numbers back up by encouraging "rusty pilots" both male and female to get back into the the cockpit.

The current PPL costs for the young folks w/o military backgrounds are tough to fund.

I agree that the turboprop was a marriage for the mission. Just wondering if the P-8 is going to take on other missions that the P-3 did such as flying into hurricanes to collect weather data.

Don't know. Boeing makes nice aircraft. Lockheed's P-3 Orion/L-188 Electra is a tough, but not so pretty aircraft, it was a real work horse along with the NOAA hurricane hunter roles. ...A classic along with the F-4, C-130, F-14, F-105 Thunderchief, SR-71 and so many many others...

My psychic powers tell me this is someone who typically has several trains of thought going on simultaneously so he picked one to focus on, in depth, rather than: "Hi I'm John Doe. I'm x years old and I live in Podunk, USA."

Rich military history with many stories he'd have to kill us if he told us. How 'm I doing?

Rushie - LoL I'm not so much into sea stories - having suffered as a recipient of many myself. ;)

Chasing the Russian subs was work, fun and challenging, sort of like strategic 3-D air & water based Chess. Despicable spies like Walker, and corporate low-lifes like Toshiba selling critical precision milling technology to the bad guys, made it harder.

I do enjoy being a thought stimulator. Many of us do not pause to assess the blessings of technology, and in this case its impact on GA.. I'm just making some fun, irreverent points along the way. I'm not a tech Luddite - I use it when it's relevant and working the EFB tech into my routine. When I went to college they were still issuing/using (logarithmic) slide-rules not calculators. Just thinking about things like electrical buss losses and partial panel, and what do you do when your dee-luxe whiz-bang glass panel technology, or convenient integrated info feeds --- suddenly are not there. ;-)

Re. the suggested "Hi I'm John Doe. I'm x years old and I live in Podunk, USA."

I'm older than dirt, and live in the high-altitude hinterlands of southeast Arizona having exfiltrated from the wacko Peoples Republik of Kalifornia (AKA the other PRK). Does that work sort of? ;-) Thanks for the comment!!!

Lockheed's P-3 Orion/L-188 Electra is a tough, but not so pretty aircraft, it was a real work horse along with the NOAA hurricane hunter roles. ...
Yah definitely an ugly duck, something only a mother could love....:) I must say I really enjoyed working on that duck spent 10 years at VP-90 USNR. Worked on A-4 and T-2 when I was regular NAVY

WELCOME! Grab a cup of coffee, pull up a keyboard, and join in!

There are lots of wonderful, helpful, and knowledgeable people here. Unfortunately, they rarely post. Like you would expect on an aviation forum, this is a fine place to discuss global warming, racism, the economy, Korea's nukes, and tomato sandwiches.

You should plan to throw away a lot of pyrite to find a gold nugget or two, but the mining itself can be fun.

Finally got internet access on the stone tablet? :)

Welcome to POA.

I'm not that old, but when I learned this art as a 20 year old in 1993 it was all paper pencil whiz wheel and ded reckoning. I have to admit, while I'm glad I learned the way I did, I'll take the safety and convenience the newer technology has to offer (provided it's properly implemented).

Welcome aboard, Sub Hunter.
I was in the E-2 Hawkeye back in the 70's and 80's.

Thanks. The E-2 shows no signs of fading away, they have a cool multi-blade props on it now.

LoL re. your NATOPS Manual quote. In the day, we called it the "Big Blue Sleeping Pill" - still smaller than the USAF flight volumes...

Finally got internet access on the stone tablet? :)

Welcome to POA.

I'm not that old, but when I learned this art as a 20 year old in 1993 it was all paper pencil whiz wheel and ded reckoning. I have to admit, while I'm glad I learned the way I did, I'll take the safety and convenience the newer technology has to offer (provided it's properly implemented).

Brad Z - Yeah got the Android dialed into some EFB/Planning apps along with a Stratux receiver feed. Also have the Apple stuff - use it reluctantly but chafe on the ever-present inter-product integration (err.. user restrictions). I'll admit to both IT degrees and an Info Ops/Denial background BTW... Still waiting for that EMP event some day - my '60's classic vehicles will still run - no electronics or microprocessors in them except the AM radios... maybe those 40's-50's-60's antique aircraft aren't so bad after all, only the comm/nav stuff would be fried.

Brad Z - Yeah got the Android dialed into some EFB/Planning apps along with a Stratux receiver feed. Also have the Apple stuff - use it reluctantly but chafe on the ever-present inter-product integration (err.. user restrictions). I'll admit to both IT degrees and an Info Ops/Denial background BTW... Still waiting for that EMP event some day - my '60's classic vehicles will still run - no electronics or microprocessors in them except the AM radios... maybe those 40's-50's-60's antique aircraft aren't so bad after all, only the comm/nav stuff would be fried.

TEMPEST ratings are still all the rage with the kids, I hear. :)

Back