No more EFB updates for me

ChemGuy

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
ChemGuy
Just did the IFR/VFR charts for life for FlyQ as a present to myself ($429). It was time to renew anyway so if I use it for 2 extra years the rest is gravy.

Did FF or anyone else have some good T-Day/Black Friday sales fro EFB stuff?

Just did the IFR/VFR charts for life for FlyQ as a present to myself ($429). It was time to renew anyway so if I use it for 2 extra years the rest is gravy.

Did FF or anyone else have some good T-Day/Black Friday sales fro EFB stuff?

Who's life - yours or FlyQ's?

I have had lifetime EFB from Anywhere map for the better part of 10 years now. They are still uploading updates for the databases. Lifetime is nice if the company can remain solvent and continue to provide software and database updates. The lifetime fuel price software I paid for with my lifetime AWM has long since been sold off and is no longer provided as a service to me. The software development has stagnated and standard features such as ads-b are not supported.

Yeah they have done this before.
There is a risk they fold but they have been around a long time and I'm betting they make a few more years.
Someone has to make sure FF isn't the only option.
Seems like FlyQ and Wingx are the other real options now.

I always worry that the sale of "lifetime" subscriptions is itself a strong sign that the company is at risk.

Yes they did it last year. I thought about it then but I was already subscribed to FF. I am thinking real hard about moving to FlyQ. I like FF software but I do not like the ADS-B hardware limitations. I want to get a Navworx ads-b and FF does not support it. I have been watching the tutorials and I am impressed. maybe next year

I have been using FlyQ EFB for a couple years. They always come out with interesting new features. My only complaint is the bugs in the software which are apparent within the first couple minutes of using the application. The number of bugs seem to have gone down since the owner committed to hiring more software testers. It's been years since I used FF so I cant really compare the quality. Regardless, I think I'll stick to FlyQ for the time being and only commit to the annual subscription.

I think your thread title is misleading. "No more EFB updates" sounds like you will not need or do any updates. I think you meant no more renewal fees or something to that effect or am I missing something? I do a ForeFlight update every month though I renew yearly.

Back