No medical available

U

Unregistered

A pilot who was under investigation, for lying to the FAA about prescriptions not listed, for many years, scripts that would fall under the " do not issue, do not fly" , had a first class medical. Today, on the airman registry, it says "no medical available" I thought if you left your first class lapse, it goes to second class. What probably happened, if it now says "no medical available"

Could be it's been long enough to have simply expired for all privileges. No way to know for sure without more information but, based on your description of the events, sounds like it was revoked or surrendered.

The pilot in question had till the end of September to get his 6 month medical completed. If not completed, it should just lapse into a second class?

The pilot in question had till the end of September to get his 6 month medical completed. If not completed, it should just lapse into a second class?
It's still a first class but you can only use it for operations requiring a second or third class. Usually the FAA database will show the last medical issued, and it will say "first class" (if it was originally) even if it was issued many years ago. It won't change to saying "second class" after six months.

If it says "no medical available" now, I'd wager that the FAA pulled it and you would too. The 1st class should still be there, right? If it isn't, it means something else happened.

However until the pilot gets confirmation that this has happened, it's all speculation. If it turns out that the FAA did pull the medical, the pilot should look at it this way - they should have been grounded years ago. They got several more years in the air, if at the cost of a higher safety risk. It remains to be seen if there will be any kind of penalty for the infraction to public safety. I've heard the FAA takes these kinds of things pretty seriously, but what do I know.

Hypothetically

Safe to say it's no longer valid... Like Brian said you got (oops - somebody) got more time up there than they would have otherwise had.

A pilot who was under investigation, for lying to the FAA about prescriptions not listed, for many years, scripts that would fall under the " do not issue, do not fly" , had a first class medical. Today, on the airman registry, it says "no medical available" I thought if you left your first class lapse, it goes to second class. What probably happened, if it now says "no medical available"

That is usually your first indication that the FAA revoked the medical for some reason to be determined at a future time.

You were wrong. A medical doesn't transform over time. It just stays a first class medical that the date of the examination was too long to use for first class purposes (but might for the lesser classes).

Note that if they determined he lied or otherwise was found not qualified to hold a medical certificate, they may have rescinded it.

If they did not recind it, the information would still be there with an issue date, even if it was a Class 1 issued in 2005.

That is usually your first indication that the FAA revoked the medical for some reason to be determined at a future time.
:confused:

If you are the pilot in question, your first indication that the FAA revoked the medical is typically something from the FAA to you telling you your medical is revoked and the reason why, not some change in the entry of the publicly-available database.

To the OP: are you saying you are or know the pilot and the pilot doesn't know the current status of his own medical and has received* nothing from the FAA?

[*i guess it's possible to not receive something sent if the pilot doesn't have a current address with the FAA or doesnt pick up his mail]

Last edited:
The first class medical doesn't "change" into anything. The only thing that changes is the privileges

The first class medical doesn't "change" into anything. The only thing that changes is the privileges
Rats! I was so much looking forward to pulling out my second class medical next year and seeing the words on the piece of paper change from "SECOND" to "THIRD". :yes:

Are you sure that won't happen? :dunno:

Rats! I was so much looking forward to pulling out my second class medical next year and seeing the words on the piece of paper change from "SECOND" to "THIRD". :yes:

Are you sure that won't happen? :dunno:

Only if you got it from the ministry of magic rather than the FAA.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back