No License just fly

Seems like their is no end of people that drive a car without a valid drivers license so one would expect some to fly without a cert./license.

I'd bet that the ratio of uncertified pilots and unairworthy airplanes being flown in Alaska to the properly certified and airworthy ones is the same as it is down here in the CONUS. There is plenty of illegal flying going on down here too if people actually look for it.

We need data on unKleenexed pilots, it could be used to show a similar accident rate as Kleenexed pilots and that all the hoops, esp. medical ones, are not quite what we are led to believe.
Seriously.

How many times have you ever been asked to see your cert? If you own your own plane then chances are that it never comes up.

I hear lots of stories of folks in these parts that never renewed or even received their ppl. Some are most likely true but how many is anyone's guess.

Last edited:
Doesn't negate the regulation.
I cannot speak for anyone before my time but I cannot think of a single pilot/airplane nut that would even attempt to fly without their ducks in a row. We seem to be a pretty law abiding bunch, at least in that sense.

Because none of us without a commercial license/cert have ever accepted more than a pro rata share...

I knew of one person in Texas that didn't have a license. His wife had the license and medical and sat in the right seat and navigated and communicated while he flew. He could not get a medical because he had bypass surgery years earlier.

There were times he flew alone, and lots of people knew about it. Of course he is dead now......cancer.

I knew of one person in Texas that didn't have a license. His wife had the license and medical and sat in the right seat and navigated and communicated while he flew. He could not get a medical because he had bypass surgery years earlier.

There were times he flew alone, and lots of people knew about it. Of course he is dead now......cancer.
Well, that's how they get ya...

Couple of guys at my airport in PA when I was learning were in this boat... that is flew with no license... as one of them said, "the government found me competent enough to fly an airplane from England to Berlin and back...... I think I can handle a grasshopper just fine"

Nobody I know goes around telling anyone how they don't have a pilot cert or current medical. I snicker when guys tell stories about how many guys they know....

Lake Hood requires anyone with a tiedown to provide a copy of a current medical. When that policy was adopted a few guys moved off airport to private tiedowns. Don't think the airport and the FAA weren't paying attention. There's no rule that requires an owner to have either a cert or a medical so no law against owning an airplane. There are rules about flying them.

Anyone around aviation in Alaska knows somebody, or several somebodys, who've died in airplane accidents. We have lots of airplanes. They're part of life in Alaska. Even non pilots take flying seriously here. The FAA takes flight safety VERY seriously here. Aviation weather cams are a good example. Accident stats have improved through the years, too.

I was really surprised with the number of WX cams in southeast AK. Even the cell towers have cams. Really makes it easier to make the decision to go or not.

I snicker when guys tell stories about how many guys they know.....

I understand what you're saying, but I did. It was a small, country airport. Everyone seemed to know each others business, and none liked the guvment, so they got away with it. Didn't bother me either.

I actually knew this preacher who would file IFR when he didn't have an instrument rating and get onto to him, to no avail. Used to **** me off when I was up with a student in the soup and heard him enter the airspace talking with approach, in IMC.

Last edited:
I cannot speak for anyone before my time but I cannot think of a single pilot/airplane nut that would even attempt to fly without their ducks in a row. We seem to be a pretty law abiding bunch, at least in that sense.

Guilty.
At age 11 I built my first "boy carrying glider" from a set of plans published in a book written in 1919.
I had no help, I had no idea what I was doing, and the end result was even worse than you can imagine.
While recovering. my dad handed me a couple of books to read on flight theory and the pilots how-to manual from 1941, and tried it all over again the next summer.
No one went to the hospital, but the results weren't substantially better.
This went on, unabated, until I went to work washing airplanes at the local seaplane base at age 14, and I got some flying lessons.

Guilty.
At age 11 I built my first "boy carrying glider" from a set of plans published in a book written in 1919.
I had no help, I had no idea what I was doing, and the end result was even worse than you can imagine.
While recovering. my dad handed me a couple of books to read on flight theory and the pilots how-to manual from 1941, and tried it all over again the next summer.
This went on, unabated, until I went to work washing airplanes at the local seaplane base at age 14, and I got some flying lessons.

Sheperd you get a pass because of your great and wonderful stories, plus you flew the Phantom, one of my favs.

Guilty.
Chapter 1: where it all went right(or wrong)

Nobody I know goes around telling anyone how they don't have a pilot cert or current medical. I snicker when guys tell stories about how many guys they know....

The guys without certificates and/or medicals that I know are very quiet about it, and the only reason I know they don't have a certificate is because either myself or someone I know and trust has given them instruction in the past and we're aware they never finished, or we're aware of their last medical date. I don't believe that Alaska is any better or worse than us in the lower 48, I'm sure you guys have some without certificates up there too. They're also just quiet about it.

Personally, I don't lose too much sleep over it. If that's the way they want to fly then so be it. The guys I know with no certificate are probably safer and more careful than some guys I know who are properly rated.

Lake Hood requires anyone with a tiedown to provide a copy of a current medical. When that policy was adopted a few guys moved off airport to private tiedowns. Don't think the airport and the FAA weren't paying attention. There's no rule that requires an owner to have either a cert or a medical so no law against owning an airplane. There are rules about flying them.

Anyone around aviation in Alaska knows somebody, or several somebodys, who've died in airplane accidents. We have lots of airplanes. They're part of life in Alaska. Even non pilots take flying seriously here. The FAA takes flight safety VERY seriously here. Aviation weather cams are a good example. Accident stats have improved through the years, too.
Guess Lake Hood doesn't take those HIPPA rules too seriously? And they lock up the "copies" in a secure container, right? So as not to compromise your PII, as name, address and DOB are on the medical; and maybe some other medical info under "Limitations"?

Best they'd get from me is a copy of the copy, with address, DOB, and "Limitations" redacted. If they aren't a**holes (just sloppy and ignorant), I imagine that would do, make everyone happy. . .

Guess Lake Hood doesn't take those HIPPA rules too seriously? And they lock up the "copies" in a secure container, right? So as not to compromise your PII, as name, address and DOB are on the medical; and maybe some other medical info under "Limitations"?

Best they'd get from me is a copy of the copy, with address, DOB, and "Limitations" redacted. If they aren't a**holes (just sloppy and ignorant), I imagine that would do, make everyone happy. . .
HIPPA doesn't enter into it...now whether or not they can actually require a valid medical to rent a tie-down, that is a question. Likely a bluff on their part.

granted, not a HIPPA expert - but - the FEDS require the medical, and publish med data on the document; it may/may be the FEDS could have an issue. But, either way, it's a sloppy practice, a quick-and-dirty, lazy way to enforce. . whatever they think they're enforcing.

granted, not a HIPPA expert - but - the FEDS require the medical, and publish med data on the document; it may/may be the FEDS could have an issue. But, either way, it's a sloppy practice, a quick-and-dirty, lazy way to enforce. . whatever they think they're enforcing.

Last time I checked the same is available in the airmen registry so unless you have redacted it from there (I assume that is possible) it is publicly available.

Yawn. My med cert doesn't have any private or protected information.

Here's the statute. It keeps old derilect airplanes from occupying valuable spaces. I'm all for it. Been at Hood for 25 years and it's a better place now than it was before the regs. You guys sure get wound up about stuff that doesn't affect you!

http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/aac.asp#17.42.500

I understand what you're saying, but I did. It was a small, country airport. Everyone seemed to know each others business, and none liked the guvment, so they got away with it. Didn't bother me either.

I actually knew this preacher who would file IFR when he didn't have an instrument rating and get onto to him, to no avail. Used to **** me off when I was up with a student in the soup and heard him enter the airspace talking with approach, in IMC.
All I can say is... at least he filed. There are plenty of jokers out there who try to sneak their way into and out of the clouds without talking to ATC. The real question is whether he was competent. If he was, then as far as I'm concerned it's between him and the FAA.

If not... I'd give him a wide berth if we were up at the same time, and maybe even (assuming I knew for sure that he was not only illegal, but so incompetent as to be a potential hazard) rat him out.

All I can say is... at least he filed. There are plenty of jokers out there who try to sneak their way into and out of the clouds without talking to ATC. The real question is whether he was competent. If he was, then as far as I'm concerned it's between him and the FAA.

If not... I'd give him a wide berth if we were up at the same time, and maybe even (assuming I knew for sure that he was not only illegal, but so incompetent as to be a potential hazard) rat him out.

I suspect he picked up a clearance as he neared the airport and realized it was IFR, not low but an overcast he'd have to go thru to get in. I don't think this particular individual was sharp enough to file.

...well well...America is still alive and well...a self regulated group of birds...birds have no license and most can preform stints in the air...we can only dream about!!..fu...FAA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yawn. My med cert doesn't have any private or protected information.

Here's the statute. It keeps old derilect airplanes from occupying valuable spaces. I'm all for it. Been at Hood for 25 years and it's a better place now than it was before the regs. You guys sure get wound up about stuff that doesn't affect you!

http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/aac.asp#17.42.500
Not too worked up, just tiny bit put out this stuff still goes on. If your DOB etc. ain't on your medical, or you don't care, that's cool. I imagine (but could be wrong) that the copies ain't secured. Sloppy way to solve a problem, and fast-and-loose with other people's PII.

I suspect he picked up a clearance as he neared the airport and realized it was IFR, not low but an overcast he'd have to go thru to get in. I don't think this particular individual was sharp enough to file.
Doesn't matter to me whether he filed in advance or got a pop-up. If he's operating within the system and has the skills and knowledge to do so, I couldn't care less whether he's legal. That's between him and the FAA. The ones I'd turn in in a heartbeat are the ones ATC calls out to me, "VFR traffic 12 o'clock 2 miles, same altitude", when I know darn well it's solid IMC.

Back