no, i dont want to install your pos software....

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Anyone know of a way to make every forum stop asking if I want to buy tapatalk when I first visit it? I don't want it, I never will, and spamming me about it will not change my mind.

Seriously, its like a virus that is spreading across the internet.

They're just looking at your browser type. Tell your browser to lie. Expect other breakage. :)

Get an iPad. Not only is it your Internet solution to feminine hygiene, it eliminates the need for tapatalk and the like.

I hate Tapatalk. I find reading PoA using Safari on an iPhone to work quite well.

I love Tapatalk on the Nexus 7. I find myself frustrated when I go back to a PC, and use the stock PofA web interface, because it doesn't have the features I've grown used to in Tapatalk.

I am not talking just here...doing a Google search and clicking results almost always shows the damned pop-up because 99% of the results are forums.

Seriously, if there's no way to stop it, how is it not a virus?

Just change your user agent to one that isn't recognized as a mobile device. Problem solved Nick.

Surprised Google hasn't figured that out. Their search results have been getting markedly worse lately.

Just change your user agent to one that isn't recognized as a mobile device. Problem solved Nick.

Good to know. Unfortunately, it requires putting the android browser into debug mode, which sucks, but beats this pop-up.

Tapatalk has just lost me forever. I don't support bullying.

Actually, I like forum runner better than tatatalk. Since I am webmaster of another Vbulletin forum site, I have to play with both to support our users.

Tapping that "no thanks" button is just so taxing...

;)

A few dozen times a day? Yes it is. So was dealing with popups in the early 2000s.

I only see it once per day max, between this forum, AOPA and an old Bronco forum. I only see it on my iPad. :dunno:

Isn't the decision to show the Tapatalk pop-up controlled by the forum administrator? (ie, I've been under the impression that it's a vBulletin setting)

FWIW - Once upon a time, I didn't see the point in Tapatalk. Now, prefer it. I like seeing the last reply in the thread preview - helps me know what's going on in the thread; sometimes, threads I would never have opened catch my interest that way.

Isn't the decision to show the Tapatalk pop-up controlled by the forum administrator? (ie, I've been under the impression that it's a vBulletin setting)

FWIW - Once upon a time, I didn't see the point in Tapatalk. Now, prefer it. I like seeing the last reply in the thread preview - helps me know what's going on in the thread; sometimes, threads I would never have opened catch my interest that way.

It may be fantastic software. Hell, there actually might be a way for me to extend my "manhood" by a few inches as well, but if I'm not interested in the product, I'm not interested, and having it shown to me every day dozens of times is certainly not going to convince me....it will likely (and has) keep me away from the product instead.

I read that there's no option to remove the popup from the vBulletin plugin for TapaTalk. Not sure if its true, but if it is....shame.

This drives me nuts too. Right along with all the websites that have their own app that they want to let me know about.

The vast majority of these apps don't seem to do anything for me that I can't accomplish just as easily through the mobile browser on the website without having to install an app. I have this image in my head of an executive in each of these companies suddenly discovering that "mobile" is the next big thing and insisting the company have an app. So, the developer rolls theirs eyes and throws together an app that's basically just a front end for the website.

But even that's not as bad as the websites that force you to the "mobile" version of their site which is terrible and frequently lacks a button to go back to the normal site.

This drives me nuts too. Right along with all the websites that have their own app that they want to let me know about.

The vast majority of these apps don't seem to do anything for me that I can't accomplish just as easily through the mobile browser on the website without having to install an app. I have this image in my head of an executive in each of these companies suddenly discovering that "mobile" is the next big thing and insisting the company have an app. So, the developer rolls theirs eyes and throws together an app that's basically just a front end for the website.

But even that's not as bad as the websites that force you to the "mobile" version of their site which is terrible and frequently lacks a button to go back to the normal site.

*cough* Newegg *cough* *cough* :mad:

Even worse when the app doesn't let you do as much as the normal site does. Or makes it harder to do.

And, boooo to those mobile sites that force themselves on you and the lazy webmasters that can't be bothered to design the site properly to begin with (so that it works gracefully with mobile browsers).

(Yes, I know that I can change my user agent. Sometimes I'm desktop, sometimes I'm mobile ... depends what the majority of my current needs are.)

It may be fantastic software. Hell, there actually might be a way for me to extend my "manhood" by a few inches as well, but if I'm not interested in the product, I'm not interested, and having it shown to me every day dozens of times is certainly not going to convince me....it will likely (and has) keep me away from the product instead.

I read that there's no option to remove the popup from the vBulletin plugin for TapaTalk. Not sure if its true, but if it is....shame.

I hadn't read that; I've read the opposite - that a forum admin can disable the Tapatalk detect script.
But, I know nothing more than what I've read. And, I'm on your side re the elimination of the pop-ups - I'm just not so sure it's all Tapatalk's fault.

Can't fault them for wanting to make a buck on what *should* be a one-time pop-up ... but, sadly, it's cookie-based and I'm not always so keen on cookies (especially from sites I don't know - which is where I'm most likely to encounter the pop-up, visiting forums from search results).

Another Tapatalk gripe (and they aren't alone in this annoying behavior) is the automatic inclusion of a Tapatalk signature.

I understand that Jay Honeck wants EVERYONE to know that he's posting from Tapatalk on his Nexus 7. But, I really doubt the rest of the Tapatalk users feel the same way about advertising their nifty device and software.

Another Tapatalk gripe (and they aren't alone in this annoying behavior) is the automatic inclusion of a Tapatalk signature.
I know you can get rid of the Tapatalk signature. I did that within the first few days I used it.

I know you can get rid of the Tapatalk signature. I did that within the first few days I used it.

Same with the "sent from my iPhone" signature in my email which I aced in the first few minutes I had my first iPhone. I want it to at least appear as if I'm still in the office.

Tapatalk development says they only show it once per site, if you have cookies enabled. They check to see if the "we told you Tapatalk is supported for this site" message has been previously shown. If it has, they don't show it again.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-central-meta/12770-can-you-get-rid-tapatalk-popup.html

So start there... Make sure cookies are enabled. If they are, try clearing them and trying again.

Troy - that's the problem - "Once per site."

That, for me, when googling stuff, as I tend to do when I'm out and about and something grabs me as entertaining that I need to search for, is the biggest pain in the ass.

Seriously - searching something, and trying to find a good answer through about 10 search results, each one yielding a "Hey, install TapaTalk!" popup drives me nuts.

The good thing, I suppose, is that after enough time, saying "no" to every one of them, eventually I would assume I'll have said no to most of the internet, and it will stop coming up.

But shame on the TapaTalk developers for writing spam into their plugin.

edit: Imagine if I created a pill that would instantly allow you to lose 10-20 pounds per week, and to advertise it, I wrote a script that proliferated itself across the internet that automatically popped up a window on every website you looked at to ask you to buy the pills.

But no worries - you only see it once per domain you visit. And pop-up blockers won't stop it.

That would probably bother you, right?

Last edited:
Troy - that's the problem - "Once per site."

That, for me, when googling stuff, as I tend to do when I'm out and about and something grabs me as entertaining that I need to search for, is the biggest pain in the ass.

Seriously - searching something, and trying to find a good answer through about 10 search results, each one yielding a "Hey, install TapaTalk!" popup drives me nuts.

The good thing, I suppose, is that after enough time, saying "no" to every one of them, eventually I would assume I'll have said no to most of the internet, and it will stop coming up.

But shame on the TapaTalk developers for writing spam into their plugin.

edit: Imagine if I created a pill that would instantly allow you to lose 10-20 pounds per week, and to advertise it, I wrote a script that proliferated itself across the internet that automatically popped up a window on every website you looked at to ask you to buy the pills.

But no worries - you only see it once per domain you visit. And pop-up blockers won't stop it.

That would probably bother you, right?
Nick, you're technically savvy. How would TapaTalk allow you to opt out across sites? Cookies seems like the logical choice, but it's only available on the domain that set it. Now, I suppose that each site using TapaTalk could send the user's browser over to TapaTalk to query the cookie from their site, but think of the privacy issues there. How would you architect it?

Nick, you're technically savvy. How would TapaTalk allow you to opt out across sites? Cookies seems like the logical choice, but it's only available on the domain that set it. Now, I suppose that each site using TapaTalk could send the user's browser over to TapaTalk to query the cookie from their site, but think of the privacy issues there. How would you architect it?

I think I know the answer to this one: Don't make the popup in the first place. It's not about how to opt out across sites, it's about the fact that without a feasible way for people to opt out across sites, you're spamming the hell out of them.

Ugh... Yes! And worse yet, the ones where you requested a specific page because you followed a link, but the mobile redirect takes you back to the main page instead of the one you requested, so you don't get the content you were looking for, and often there's no way to get it at all. GRRRR!!!

Same with the "sent from my iPhone" signature in my email which I aced in the first few minutes I had my first iPhone. I want it to at least appear as if I'm still in the office.

There actually is a use for that: It lets people know why your reply is (likely) short. One of my coworkers who has an Android phone has added the signature line "Sent from my mobile device, please pardon my brevity."

There actually is a use for that: It lets people know why your reply is (likely) short. One of my coworkers who has an Android phone has added the signature line "Sent from my mobile device, please pardon my brevity."

He may be using K-9 instead of the horrifyingly bad stock Android mail client. K-9 adds that line by default.

-Rich

Ugh... Yes! And worse yet, the ones where you requested a specific page because you followed a link, but the mobile redirect takes you back to the main page instead of the one you requested, so you don't get the content you were looking for, and often there's no way to get it at all. GRRRR!!!

That's pretty inexcusable. It takes about a minute (using PHP, at least) to code proper links that will direct the user to the corresponding pages in either direction.

-Rich

Get an iPad. Not only is it your Internet solution to feminine hygiene, it eliminates the need for tapatalk and the like.

Not true. I get it regularly on the iPad.

Surprised Google hasn't figured that out. Their search results have been getting markedly worse lately.

Still better than Bing. Or any of the others. Maybe more folks have figured out how to block some of the tracking.

Tapatalk development says they only show it once per site, if you have cookies enabled. They check to see if the "we told you Tapatalk is supported for this site" message has been previously shown. If it has, they don't show it again.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-central-meta/12770-can-you-get-rid-tapatalk-popup.html

So start there... Make sure cookies are enabled. If they are, try clearing them and trying again.

Seems like once per site per day or week. Some of us prefer NOT to let tracking cookies follow our every move.

Yeah, this. Even worse are the mobile news sites where you expand menus, fat-finger a click on a link and when you trie to go back end up on the home page with ALL menus collapsed again.

I think I know the answer to this one: Don't make the popup in the first place. It's not about how to opt out across sites, it's about the fact that without a feasible way for people to opt out across sites, you're spamming the hell out of them.

Kent nailed it, Grant. I would liken it to a popup add about increasing my manhood. But the developer was at least kind enough to make sure that I only saw it once per visit to each website.

Well, how can he possible restrict it from being shown on all sites, since there's no way to have a cross-domain cookie?

Easy - stop showing me penis ads!

But - now that its out there, its not as simple as pulling it out, as there will be some domains that don't update anymore. Now, we need to treat it like the scourge it is, and have a popup blocker built into our browser that actively blocks JavaScript Alerts with specific phrase patterns in it. TapaTalk has just found a way to annoy me (and others), and all the while, the only fix is to severely limit the capabilities of the user's browser.

At the end of the day, it is irresponsible programming that causes the problem. And unfortunately, because the software is as popular as it is, even if it was an unintended consequence, it has now grown to the point of annoyance for those of us that choose not to use the software (or buy the penis pill).

That's pretty inexcusable. It takes about a minute (using PHP, at least) to code proper links that will direct the user to the corresponding pages in either direction.

Exactly. I could do it better, and I haven't been in the business in 10 years. It's just careless, and I see it in places like major news organizations that should have the best webmasters. You got the word right: It's inexcusable.

Exactly. I could do it better, and I haven't been in the business in 10 years. It's just careless, and I see it in places like major news organizations that should have the best webmasters. You got the word right: It's inexcusable.

Or intentional. All sorts of tracking and advertising possibilities exist on the mobile platform that are useless or more difficult on the regular site.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Or intentional. All sorts of tracking and advertising possibilities exist on the mobile platform that are useless or more difficult on the regular site.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I think what he was referring to was a common situation in which the user clicks on the link for the mobile version of a particular page, but instead gets directed to the root of the mobile site -- upon which there may or may not be a version of the page the user is looking for, and a link to which may be difficult or impossible to find in any event. That has nothing to do with ad deployment. It has more to do with laziness.

It's not that difficult to automatically carry content over to a mobile-formatted site. It can be a bother in the case of an old site that was created before mobile browsers were sophisticated enough for people to bother using them, but even then it's tedious rather than difficult.

All it really comes down to is isolating the content from the styles, ads, and anything else that isn't content; drawing it from a common directory for both versions; using CSS to define things like page format, images sizes and placement, and so forth; and using server-side scripting to create the markup (including ads and so forth). A single line of PHP (or whatever scripting language you like) in the header can then be used to automatically create links back and forth between the pages. It really isn't rocket surgery.

If you want to use different advertising strategies in the different versions, that's made simpler because the content is isolated. The respective heads can contain whatever scripting is appropriate to the versions; and the content can contain "includes" with relative paths (in PHP) to insert the ads that are appropriate to the format.

But what some webmasters completely miss is that if people can't get to the pages, they're not going to see the ads, anyway. Google's robots may find the the pages because they have nothing else to do other than follow links. But humans are going to give up after a click or three.

To even think about how to deploy ads before having an efficient and human-friendly content navigation system is backwards and sloppy. But I also suppose that in many cases, there's a lot more pressure from the suits to get the ad delivery system working than to make sure that people actually can get to the content.

After experimenting with all manner of ways to give users a choice between versions, I've found that the way users seem to like best is also the crudest: A little mobile phone icon with a link to the corresponding page on the mobile site (like this one):

mobile_icon.jpg

and a corresponding text link back to the "full version" on the mobile page. I've given up on using scripts, providers, .htaccess, etc. to "automatically" detect browsers. I just let the user decide, and then keep him in the chosen root directory. If he changes his mind, he winds up in the root directory of the other version, but on the corresponding page.

It's crude compared to some of the other ways I've tried doing it, but it's also foolproof, works better, and liked by users.

I've also found from the stats that a lot of users on dialup connections prefer the mobile versions when accessing sites from a computer (presumably because they load more quickly), and that some mobile users with even crappy phones and browsers prefer the full version. Go figger.

Whatever the case, apparently I used to be alienating users by automatically making that choice for them using browser detection. So now I let them decide for themselves. But the link has to point to the right page or else it's all a waste of time, no matter how you do it.

-Rich

I think what he was referring to was a common situation in which the user clicks on the link for the mobile version of a particular page, but instead gets directed to the root of the mobile site -- upon which there may or may not be a version of the page the user is looking for, and a link to which may be difficult or impossible to find in any event. That has nothing to do with ad deployment. It has more to do with laziness.

It's not that difficult to automatically carry content over to a mobile-formatted site. It can be a bother in the case of an old site that was created before mobile browsers were sophisticated enough for people to bother using them, but even then it's tedious rather than difficult.

All it really comes down to is isolating the content from the styles, ads, and anything else that isn't content; drawing it from a common directory for both versions; using CSS to define things like page format, images sizes and placement, and so forth; and using server-side scripting to create the markup (including ads and so forth). A single line of PHP (or whatever scripting language you like) in the header can then be used to automatically create links back and forth between the pages. It really isn't rocket surgery.

If you want to use different advertising strategies in the different versions, that's made simpler because the content is isolated. The respective heads can contain whatever scripting is appropriate to the versions; and the content can contain "includes" with relative paths (in PHP) to insert the ads that are appropriate to the format.

But what some webmasters completely miss is that if people can't get to the pages, they're not going to see the ads, anyway. Google's robots may find the the pages because they have nothing else to do other than follow links. But humans are going to give up after a click or three.

To even think about how to deploy ads before having an efficient and human-friendly content navigation system is backwards and sloppy. But I also suppose that in many cases, there's a lot more pressure from the suits to get the ad delivery system working than to make sure that people actually can get to the content.

After experimenting with all manner of ways to give users a choice between versions, I've found that the way users seem to like best is also the crudest: A little mobile phone icon with a link to the corresponding page on the mobile site (like this one):

mobile_icon.jpg

and a corresponding text link back to the "full version" on the mobile page. I've given up on using scripts, providers, .htaccess, etc. to "automatically" detect browsers. I just let the user decide, and then keep him in the chosen root directory. If he changes his mind, he winds up in the root directory of the other version, but on the corresponding page.

It's crude compared to some of the other ways I've tried doing it, but it's also foolproof, works better, and liked by users.

I've also found from the stats that a lot of users on dialup connections prefer the mobile versions when accessing sites from a computer (presumably because they load more quickly), and that some mobile users with even crappy phones and browsers prefer the full version. Go figger.

Whatever the case, apparently I used to be alienating users by automatically making that choice for them using browser detection. So now I let them decide for themselves. But the link has to point to the right page or else it's all a waste of time, no matter how you do it.

-Rich

Just keep in mind that things become much more difficult when you're dealing with websites that aren't just a simple business card. You get into hundreds of pages that are extremely dynamic based on countless factors and various layers of access control.

Just keep in mind that things become much more difficult when you're dealing with websites that aren't just a simple business card. You get into hundreds of pages that are extremely dynamic based on countless factors and various layers of access control.

Kent's complaint, and my peeve, had to do with links that don't point to the correct page on the mobile version of a site. That's not all that complex a thing to do, regardless of the size of the site. If the pages are dynamically generated, at some point the content is inserted into them, and that same content can be inserted into the mobile versions.

Same thing for the URLs. You can use the same page filenames, but in the "m" (or whatever) subdomain. Then all you need is something like

PHP:
<? $mobile = "http://m.domain.com" . $_SERVER["PHP_SELF"]; ?>

in the page header, and there's the URL for your mobile link. I don't get why this would be that much harder on one of a thousand dynamic pages than one of five hard-coded pages.

-Rich

I love my Tapatalk, it places all my forums in one easy to use app.:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

The Koolaid is only sour upon your first sip, so go ahead and drink it.:devil:

ONE OF US!:yesnod:, ONE OF US!:yesnod:, ONE OF US!:yesnod:, ONE OF US!:yesnod:, ONE OF US!:yesnod:, ONE OF US!:yesnod:, ONE OF US!:yesnod:, ONE OF US!:yesnod:, ONE OF US!:yesnod:, ONE OF US!:yesnod:

Sent from my Super Duper iPhone 4S Powered by the 4G Network at AT&T Using the Ultra Fantastic Tapatalk.

Kent's complaint, and my peeve, had to do with links that don't point to the correct page on the mobile version of a site. That's not all that complex a thing to do, regardless of the size of the site. If the pages are dynamically generated, at some point the content is inserted into them, and that same content can be inserted into the mobile versions.
For one you might not always have a mobile version of every page of a gigantic system. Some things might be extremely hard to represent on a mobile device without a lot of rework. If you start talking about months, or years, sometimes to redevelop a complex system..then you can start to imagine why shortcuts are often taken.

Same thing for the URLs. You can use the same page filenames, but in the "m" (or whatever) subdomain. Then all you need is something like

PHP:
<? $mobile = "http://m.domain.com" . $_SERVER["PHP_SELF"]; ?>

in the page header, and there's the URL for your mobile link. I don't get why this would be that much harder on one of a thousand dynamic pages than one of five hard-coded pages.

-Rich
Changing domains can be a security nightmare especially with ssl and cookies. Start working on something that must meet various industry security standards and pass code audits and penetration tests and what seems so simple on the surface becomes a deep issue. Some of these legacy systems might have complicated url structures with encrypted data in them that is valid one-time-use.

Basically your simple suggestion isn't going to account for proper handling and carrying of sessions across those domains on a SSL connection. Often times you end up having to rebuild the sessions between domains while figuring out how to do that in a secure manner that isn't about to get hi-jacked.

I'm not making excuses Richard. I'm stating that you are making statements like fixing these problems is just one line of PHP. If you could fix all these sort of problems with gigantic web applications that have a lot going on with one line of PHP you'd be a very rich man.

Much of these problems are intended to be solved by thinking about mobile first, doing responsive web design, etc. Pretty easy to do starting from scratch...can take years and years to evolve to that point with something in production with hundreds of thousands of users.

Last edited:
Back