no, i dont want to install your pos software....

For one you might not always have a mobile version of every page of a gigantic system. Some things might be extremely hard to represent on a mobile device without a lot of rework. If you start talking about months, or years, sometimes to redevelop a complex system..then you can start to imagine why shortcuts are often taken.

Changing domains can be a security nightmare especially with ssl and cookies. Start working on something that must meet various industry security standards and pass code audits and penetration tests and what seems so simple on the surface becomes a deep issue. Some of these legacy systems might have complicated url structures with encrypted data in them that is valid one-time-use.

Basically your simple suggestion isn't going to account for proper handling and carrying of sessions across those domains on a SSL connection. Often times you end up having to rebuild the sessions between domains while figuring out how to do that in a secure manner that isn't about to get hi-jacked.

I'm not making excuses Richard. I'm stating that you are making statements like fixing these problems is just one line of PHP. If you could fix all these sort of problems with gigantic web applications that have a lot going on with one line of PHP you'd be a very rich man.

Much of these problems are intended to be solved by thinking about mobile first, doing responsive web design, etc. Pretty easy to do starting from scratch...can take years and years to evolve to that point with something in production with hundreds of thousands of users.

Okay, fair enough. I was thinking more along the lines of informational sites, like the news sites Kent referred to in his example or other sites that don't require a secure connection.

-Rich

I know you can get rid of the Tapatalk signature. I did that within the first few days I used it.

Whoops, sorry -- after I did the factory reset and all the apps reinstalled, the stupid Tapatalk notice came back. I'll see if I can kill it...again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Whoops, sorry -- after I did the factory reset and all the apps reinstalled, the stupid Tapatalk notice came back. I'll see if I can kill it...again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Test 1,2,3. Looks like it's gone. :D

There actually is a use for that: It lets people know why your reply is (likely) short. One of my coworkers who has an Android phone has added the signature line "Sent from my mobile device, please pardon my brevity."

A waste of space to admit you don't know how to use your own tools? Heh.

A waste of space to admit you don't know how to use your own tools? Heh.

I don't think it's that so much as that a lot of phones seem designed for kids and others with tiny fingers.

With my normal-size fingers -- which I think probably are considerably more dextrous than most due to my being a musician, a former paramedic, and an erstwhile electronics technician -- it's a pain in the hindquarters to use the keyboard on almost any mobile device; so I keep my replies as short as possible.

I also wonder how women with long nails manage the keyboards on most mobile phones.

-Rich

I don't think it's that so much as that a lot of phones seem designed for kids and others with tiny fingers.

With my normal-size fingers -- which I think probably are considerably more dextrous than most due to my being a musician, a former paramedic, and an erstwhile electronics technician -- it's a pain in the hindquarters to use the keyboard on almost any mobile device; so I keep my replies as short as possible.

I also wonder how women with long nails manage the keyboards on most mobile phones.

-Rich

That's all fine and good, I don't need to read about your (not directed at you personally of course) personal finger size and dexterity problems, and inability to buy keyboards big enough for them, in every e-mail you send from the thing. ;)

Now maybe if you said, "I have no use of my hands and my keyboard is operated by a puffer switch and my eyes, pardon my brevity..."

I might find that at least interesting, but I've received numerous e-mails from a wonderful person who types like that and the last thing he would do is add such silliness to a signature line, or bring attention to it.

He also types pages and pages of fairly technical stuff. No cry babies, he'd probably say.

I swear Randall Munroe must read this site...

The hover text 2nd punchline: "If I click 'no', I've probably given up on everything, so don't bother taking me to the page I was trying to go to. Just drop me on the homepage. Thanks."

Get an iPad. Not only is it your Internet solution to feminine hygiene, it eliminates the need for tapatalk and the like.

Does it on my iPad all the time. That doesn't deter it. It detects its a mobile device and puts it up. There is tapatalk for iPad too.

Last edited:
Back