no certificate with me.

I was about to be ramp checked at the home drome after refueling. He said he would meet me inside, I said alright. As I was preparing to enter the FBO, another pilot cut me off and forced himself through the door first (was real noticeable). The FAA guy watched the whole thing and converted it to ramp checking "my new friend" rather than me:lol:
"If you're in such an all-fired hurry to go in there, you go right ahead, pal!" :yes:

I was about to be ramp checked at the home drome after refueling. He said he would meet me inside, I said alright. As I was preparing to enter the FBO, another pilot cut me off and forced himself through the door first (was real noticeable). The FAA guy watched the whole thing and converted it to ramp checking "my new friend" rather than me:lol:
8eea64e0563590b07a4d93537eb2851f.png

I keep the medical and license in the flight bag as well, tucked into the back of the logbook. Don't have to worry about forgetting it there, but it never gets asked for at the normal FBO anyway. Like was suggested, I would imagine that once you had them retrieve your information from the airmen database, all is well. At worst, maybe they try a minor civil penalty or request another meeting so you can provide actual proof of medical, etc.but I doubt it.

I keep my medical and certificate in my wallet, that carries my DL to get to the airport

Hypothetically speaking let's say I go out to the airport on a whim. Borrow a headset and current sectional and go flying. My bad luck an inspector at my destination. Asks for my certificate and medical. But obviously they're at home a couple hundred miles away. What happens? Can I show I have it later may like you can do if you get pulled over by the police?

If someone rented you an airplane without seeing your pilots license and medical then they are dumber than the question you asked. You must have a lot of time on your hands.

For the folks who carry photos of their documents in your phones:

1) If you want to show them to a LEO, you have just handed them your unlocked phone with all your texts, e-mails, other photos, etc on it. Given the current climate you might have just greenlighted a big fishing expedition.

2) If your phone is stolen or found, more personal information than you want to share might be exposed.

Just some thoughts.

For the folks who carry photos of their documents in your phones:

1) If you want to show them to a LEO, you have just handed them your unlocked phone with all your texts, e-mails, other photos, etc on it. Given the current climate you might have just greenlighted a big fishing expedition.

2) If your phone is stolen or found, more personal information than you want to share might be exposed.

Just some thoughts.
Even more important, the FAA does not currently accept photos on your phone of your pilot/medical/flight instructor certificate as your valid document.

Even more important, the FAA does not currently accept photos on your phone of your pilot/medical/flight instructor certificate as your valid document.

Seems it would be a whole lot easier to fake the PDF of the letter off the website than a photo of your actual cert. :dunno:

Seems it would be a whole lot easier to fake the PDF of the letter off the website than a photo of your actual cert. :dunno:
Perhaps. However, I know that someone well up the GA food chain in the FAA wants to figure a way to be able to pull up your certificates on your cell phone in lieu of the certificate itself. I'm guessing it would have to be an on-line system so it would tell if your certificate is currently valid (i.e., not expired, revoked, suspended, etc). I suspect we have the technology, and that it's just a matter of money to implement such a system.

Perhaps. However, I know that someone well up the GA food chain in the FAA wants to figure a way to be able to pull up your certificates on your cell phone in lieu of the certificate itself. I'm guessing it would have to be an on-line system so it would tell if your certificate is currently valid (i.e., not expired, revoked, suspended, etc). I suspect we have the technology, and that it's just a matter of money to implement such a system.

"trying to figure a way"? This is child's play from an IT perspective if your IT and developers have even a modicum of skill.

I carry scans of all my licenses in my iPhone, just in case.

Probably not 100% legal, but better than nothing.

Like others, mine are in my wallet at all times.

I do the same, plus I have a photo copy of my cert & medical tucked in the sleeve with my plane's registration & airworthiness cert.

Better than nothing.

If someone rented you an airplane without seeing your pilots license and medical then they are dumber than the question you asked. You must have a lot of time on your hands.

Interesting. I don't recall being asked for mine at the place I've been renting for a while. In fact, I didn't even know that my old paper license was NG until I gave it to the DPE after a checkride for a new rating. :dunno: I know for a fact no one's ever asked for my medical. People always seem to assume their experience is typical.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back