Nitrogen setup for struts - what do I need? Can a setup be bought inexpensively?

FORANE

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FORANE
Wondering what is needed to refill your own struts.
What equipment?
Bottle. regulator, hose... what do I need?
How much does it cost?
Where can it be obtained?

I understand it is high pressure, what do I need to know to do it safely?

Wondering what is needed to refill your own struts.
What equipment?
Bottle. regulator, hose... what do I need?
How much does it cost?
Where can it be obtained?

I understand it is high pressure, what do I need to know to do it safely?

There is a thread including part numbers an sources on beechtalk.

I have a tank, gauges, regulator, hose, and goose neck on a cart, ready to go. $1000.00 you pay shipping. or come get it. the tank is full.

Any decent welding supply store will have these items. Couldn't tell you what they cost. A grand seems a little steep to me, but then again, here in oilfield country, you can find empty bottles for nearly nothing, or free.

It's all normal welding stuff. Only thing that's a little less ordinary is that you'll need a high pressure regulator. They aren't that hard to find though, and any welding shop will have or can get them.

I have a bottle set up for sale

Attachments

• 20150127_095522.jpg
    20150127_095522.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20150127_095536.jpg
    20150127_095536.jpg
    636.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20150127_095546.jpg
    20150127_095546.jpg
    651.6 KB · Views: 14
for added convenience, many of us use a blended gas that is 70% Nitrogen

The strut pump is only necessary if you're going to use (relatively low pressure) shop air. Since he's going to use nitrogen, he's already got a bottle with more than enough pressure in it.

At pushing $300 even buying a small nitrogen tank and regular outright will hardly be more expensive. I use nitrogen bottles (not for pumping up the struts) to push wine through my wine dispensers. I don't think I paid more than $80 for the whole tank (full). The refills (actually swaps) are around $40.

for added convenience, many of us use a blended gas that is 70% Nitrogen
It would be even more convenient if I had a blended gas source capable of delivering the pressure rating of my oleo struts.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to buy your own strut-filling gear? In my experience, adding gas to the struts is such a rare event that I could never justify buying my own setup.

Tim

Out of curiosity, why do you want to buy your own strut-filling gear? In my experience, adding gas to the struts is such a rare event that I could never justify buying my own setup.

Tim
Fair question and now that I have seen some prices the nitrogen setup will likely go into the same category as a propeller balancing setup. Namely, I doubt I will own either.

I got a cherry picker this week and jacked the nose off the ground to replace a gas spring like here:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9416k15/=vp4sul
That gas spring assists the nose gear down in event of hydraulic failure. While doing so it appeared my nose strut may be low. I do not know it to be so. Do not have a gauge capable of taking a reading.

Back