New Zenforo software

I'm sure there're some backend improvements, but the mobile webpage is just ...weird. I prefer this version of the software. :confused:

not finding the 'recent posts' link on the new site

old:
upload_2023-7-6_21-32-42.png

new:
upload_2023-7-6_21-32-56.png

but looks like there's a "what's new" and "new posts" option, guess I'll have to see what the difference is:

upload_2023-7-6_21-39-5.png

Ron is there a 'dark mode' or night mode option with this version? I believe that's a xenforo option that needs to be enabled on the back end.........

At least on the mobile version, the usernames are very small.

IMG_5043.jpeg

I'd be willing to bet 100 pesos that because <<< a change was made >>> lots of people will complain and some may even block the new site from all their networks.......... :happydance:

Ron is there a 'dark mode' or night mode option with this version? I believe that's a xenforo option that needs to be enabled on the back end.........
Like this?

upload_2023-7-6_20-55-28.png

Looks like there is, we just have to set it up.

test.pilotsofamerica.com . The thread here in old POA telling us about it doesn’t have a way to ‘Reply’. So here’s my question. Can you give us a Cliff Notes version. Like what were the problems with version 1 and what does version 2 do to solve them?

Last edited:
Usernames just a little bit small on desktop as well

Screenshot 2023-07-07 at 12.11.52 AM.png

I'd be willing to bet 100 pesos that because <<< a change was made >>> lots of people will complain and some may even block the new site from all their networks.......... :happydance:

because all change is good.

(happy now?)

Like what were the problems with version 1 and what does version 2 do to solve them?

If you do not stay current with software then you are falling behind. The further behind you fall, the bigger the challenge to become current. Running on software that is so old that it is no longer being maintained is particularly problematic. Old in terms of software has a completely different meaning than old in terms of other things (like aircraft).

If you do not stay current with software then you are falling behind. The further behind you fall, the bigger the challenge to become current. Running on software that is so old that it is no longer being maintained is particularly problematic. Old in terms of software has a completely different meaning than old in terms of other things (like aircraft).
Oh. Like a windows no longer supports 7 thing? Xenfro wont support 1 anymore

Like others, I would like to see a dark mode.
Also, what is the chat feature?

Otherwise, my quick perusal looks like you did a nice job upgrading.

Tim

Nope. Chat is not the same thing as "Conversations". I see no equivalent here.

Tim

Screenshot_20230707-112101.png

Chat function is inside the red square, and conversations inside the yellow circle. Desktop shots coming soon.

ETA: Desktop version; chat in blue, conversations in red.

Capture.PNG

ETA2: Totally misread your post, @tspear . I thought you were saying you couldn't see two separate options for chat/private message in the new software, not that you didn't see the chat function in the current POA software.

Last edited:
Nope. Chat is not the same thing as "Conversations". I see no equivalent here.

Tim
They serve two different purposes and are not meant to be equivalent.

They serve two different purposes and are not meant to be equivalent.
Always wondered why it's called conversations. Seems PM is the more common way of saying it. You'll see folk here say PM me or I'll PM you. Never seen I'll conversate you.

@RyanB

I am wondering through the xenforo site; looking for documentation on the chat feature. I not sure if I understand what it is trying to solve.

@SkyChaser

My point was there is no feature called "chat" on xenforo version 1; which the main POA site is still running. I wondered what is the purpose.

@luvflyin

I agree. PM makes much more sense.

My point was there is no feature called "chat" on xenforo version 1; which the main POA site is still running. I wondered what is the purpose.

Yes there is.
Far upper right corner. It literally says chat.
HOME FORUMS MEMBERS CHAT.

upload_2023-7-7_14-2-28.png

It's a real time chat room.

Now, if you're using Crapatalk you probably don't see it.

@RyanB

I am wondering through the xenforo site; looking for documentation on the chat feature. I not sure if I understand what it is trying to solve.

it's not solving anything nor attempting to solve anything. it's literally a chat room. go in it if you want to chat. don't go in it if you don't want to chat. it's really not any more complicated than that. it's also not new. pretty straight forward. chat, don't chat, that's it.

I do not see it. I am using a web browser (Edge and Firefox)
upload_2023-7-7_14-6-3.png

No option for chat.

Tim

The Chat isn't a XenForo product so you won't find it there (other than perhaps a link to the people who wrote it in their forums). The Chat software on the XF2 site is the same product as the one on this (current) site, just a newer version to be compatible with the later forum hooks.

I do not see it. I am using a web browser (Edge and Firefox)
View attachment 118763

No option for chat.

Tim
For some reason, you're ability to chat was specifically removed. I'm going to have to defer to someone who's been around here longer than me as to why.

But thanks for pointing out the inconsistancy, you're not able to chat anymore on the new site either.

@EdFred

Not worth that much :)
And yes. I do not recall ever selecting that. But I also do not recall the last time I checked/changed any preferences in POA.

@flyingron

Well that would be why I did not see it over on xenforo.

@RyanB

Ouch. :) I was just curious if there was a specific reason this was being added/enabled. Since I did not have chat enabled before, you might want to check how the profile data was migrated/updated.

Tim

It asked me a couple of times to use tapatalk and if I wanted to use my browser or tapatalk. My answer is no, and I hope that's not a regular thing. Other than that, good job. It will take a few uses to get everything down, but NBD.

The Chat isn't a XenForo product so you won't find it there (other than perhaps a link to the people who wrote it in their forums). The Chat software on the XF2 site is the same product as the one on this (current) site, just a newer version to be compatible with the later forum hooks.
What are 'hooks'

The chat software is a seperate little thing but it has parts that connect into the rest of xenforo to get your user name and permissions, board colors, insert the "users chatting info", menu items etc..

Like others, I would like to see a dark mode.
Also, what is the chat feature?

Otherwise, my quick perusal looks like you did a nice job upgrading.

Tim
Dark mode has been added. Click down at the very bottom left of the screen where it says "Pilots of America Style" and select "Pilots of America Dark"

Back