New windshield and headliner

Jeff Creamer

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
JJC
I have a Cessna 172K and have purchased a new windshield and headliner for it. My A&P guy quoted 30-40 hours and says they have to pull the panel to install the windshield. He asked for $3k as a down payment. I don’t want to be cheap and I greatly value what these guys do. But sometimes it seems he just throws numbers out there to see if it works. Additionally, I have absolutely no comparison. Anybody have an idea of what this type work should cost?

The windscreen replacement is a very extensive process and it's no simple task. Our 172M got one a few years back. That quote doesn't sound too out of line to me, although it would depend on how much he's charging beyond the $3k down payment.

Last edited:
Never replaced one, but I'd call around.

I recall that the things arrive oversize and have to be filed into shape, a very labor intensive process.

Should let the A&P select and buy the windshield. Some are much better and easier to install than others.

Takes a good deal of work to get a good fit. I would check with a few other mechanics.

Oh gawd... Windshields are actually pretty simple to replace IF the Cessna service manual is followed. 2nd rule is only have A&P's who have successfully replaced windscreens using the Cessna method do the work.

I just replaced mine last Summer. The job took less then 7.5 hours start to finish.

Go to an aircraft paint shop, they do a bunch of these every year and know the process.

High level process:
1) Remove all trim and fairings touching wind screen (DO NOT remove lower valance)
2) Cut a horizontal slot across the mid-point of the windscreen
3) Wiggle windscreen out, have 2 people pressing it out by sitting in the front seats with feet on the inside of windscreen
4) Get a Great Lakes Aero windscreen, press it into the top clip and let the windscreen bottom rest over the lower valance
5) With a fine Sharpe, mark areas that need trimming to fit. (DO NOT use the old windscreen as a template, surprising how many are incorrect)
6) Follow directions to trim and trial fit.
7) Apply felt and pack channels with 3M Strip Calk window sealant (This is what Cessna uses)
8) Follow Great Lakes Aero's install instructions placing the lower edge in the lower valance tracks, and using thin sheetrock knives to allow the top windscreen lip to then snap in the upper track

Most A&P's just don't know how, and/or over think the problem and solution.

BTW, Great Lakes Aero is an OEM manufacturer for Mooney, Cirrus, Great Lake, and others. Stellar almost trim free product.

Last edited:
Oh gawd... Windshields are actually pretty simple to replace IF the Cessna service manual is followed. 2nd rule is only have A&P's who have successfully replaced windscreens using the Cessna method do the work.

I just replaced mine last Summer. The job took less then 7.5 hours start to finish.

Go to an aircraft paint shop, they do a bunch of these every year and know the process.

High level process:
1) Remove all trim and fairings touching wind screen (DO NOT remove lower valance)
2) Cut a horizontal slot across the mid-point of the windscreen
3) Wiggle windscreen out, have 2 people pressing it out by sitting in the front seats with feet on the inside of windscreen
4) Get a Great Lakes Aero windscreen, press it into the top clip and let the windscreen bottom rest over the lower valance
5) With a fine Sharpe, mark areas that need trimming to fit. (DO NOT use the old windscreen as a template, surprising how many are incorrect)
6) Follow directions to trim and trial fit.
7) Apply felt and pack channels with 3M Strip Calk window sealant (This is what Cessna uses)
8) Follow Great Lakes Aero's install instructions placing the lower edge in the lower valance tracks, and using thin sheetrock knives to allow the top windscreen lip to then snap in the upper track

Most A&P just don't know how and over think the problem and solution.

So how many of those hours included two employees?

Just two for removal and lifting the new one in place. probably 30 mins with two. I actually helped my guy, who had experience doing literally dozens of them from his years working in an aircraft paint shop.

I also helped by removing the old calk and interior bits. I wanted to participate to learn. The help I provided was likely offset by his explaining as he worked.

Never use silicone sealant, ever. The factory currently uses PRC sealant around all windows packed with 3M strip Calk, except for windscreen where only 3M strip calk is used. The windscreen moves and flexes, and occasionally needs repacking of Calk.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I ordered a Great Lakes windshield with his approval and knowledge. Again, not trying to be cheap, I just don’t have anything to compare to. I can afford it. But like everyone, I don’t want to be taken advantage of.

Jeff, If your MX wants to take the lower valance off... go find someone who knows what they are doing. Amazing why some would turn a less than 8 hour job into a 30 hour job.

The hours quoted was for the windshield and installing a new headliner as well , was it not ???

Is the window going to be riveted back in? or is it being replaced with screws?

I didn't ask about the rivets vs screws. The hours quoted did include the headliner.

Back