new UAS rules in effect now

Badger

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Badger
https://www.faa.gov/uas/

well as of 12:01am, new "drone" rules for commercial use are active.
There will be a webinar this morning for anyone interested.

Is the IACRA updated? I didn't see UAS option

Do you have a link?

Just to confirm, the drone cert is a desperate card and doesn't go on your airmans cert?

Just to confirm, the drone cert is a desperate card and doesn't go on your airmans cert?

'desperate' card. I love autocorrect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The remote pilot certificate is a separate certificate with a different certificate number. On it will be a small unmanned aircraft system rating.

Took the test during lunch and filled out my iacra. I guess I need to get my cfi to approve me as current and a citizen now.

I also did it this morning, on both sides (once as the applicant and once as the CFI). Simple, simple, simple. Takes just minutes to complete. The only thing that might get some people though is that the applicant and certifier pretty much have to be at the same computer at the same time due to the requirement for the applicant to enter their password while the certifier is logged in. So you can't really just email your favorite CFI and ask them to sign you off.

Now I just have to wait a few days for the temporary certificate. Easy!

Is the IACRA updated? I didn't see UAS option

It's called "Remote Pilot Certificate", you might just be looking for the wrong words.

Ok. If my friend wants me to drone over to their house, say a book, and they split the cost of batteries.........................................

Local TV news in Charlotte was reporting on this while running footage of a Global Hawk flying high in the sky. Yep, they sure do a good job of research.

I received mine this morning as well. I have no idea if I will ever use it. What about you guys?

How are you getting your temporary certificates? If I'm reading the following page right, you need to get with a DPE or FSDO representative to get your temp cert. You can do this with a CFI, but then you won't have a temporary cert and you'll have to wait a few months for the real deal in the mail.

1. An appropriate FSDO representative, a DPE, or an ACR will issue the applicant a temporary airman certificate (a CFI is not authorized to issue a temporary certificate; they can process applications for applicants who do not want a temporary certificate).
https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_work_business/becoming_a_pilot/

How are you getting your temporary certificates? If I'm reading the following page right, you need to get with a DPE or FSDO representative to get your temp cert.

Truth be told, I will have to wait for it come in the mail, But I can print out a temp in a few days according to IACRA. I consider it "Got" ..
Will I ever use it? who knows...

How are you getting your temporary certificates? If I'm reading the following page right, you need to get with a DPE or FSDO representative to get your temp cert. You can do this with a CFI, but then you won't have a temporary cert and you'll have to wait a few months for the real deal in the mail.

1. An appropriate FSDO representative, a DPE, or an ACR will issue the applicant a temporary airman certificate (a CFI is not authorized to issue a temporary certificate; they can process applications for applicants who do not want a temporary certificate).
https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_work_business/becoming_a_pilot/

A CFI can't "issue" a temp certificate, but once the CFI submits it to the FAA and it is accepted, you'll be emailed a link to download a temp certificate.

Got mine this morning too and used it this afternoon. Had to video one of our project ribbon cutting ceremonies. Later this week I'll be doing some aerial mapping and more video for a public hearing next month.

Took the course and have a CFI set up to do the IACRA thing with. If I'm getting this right she will be the one who signs in to IACRA and does it. Or do I sign in and she does it from there?

Lets start a pool. What is the date and time the first "pizza midair" will take place.

Took the course and have a CFI set up to do the IACRA thing with. If I'm getting this right she will be the one who signs in to IACRA and does it. Or do I sign in and she does it from there?

The CFI will need to sign in and input your number. They will approve the application, you will need to use your login to signin and digitally sign, then they will have to approve. Then you are done. Best to be at the same computer. Don't use internet explorer. We used chrome and make sure popups are allowed.

Good luck.

Last edited:
The CFI will need to sign in and input your number. They will approve the application, you will need to use your login to signin and digitally sign, then they will have to approve. Then you are done. Best to be at the same computer. Don't use internet explorer. We used chrome and make sure polyps are allowed.

Good luck.

Thanks. I guess I'll have to register with IACRA first or can I sign in with the same username and password I used for Faast when I registered for that? Should we be signed in simultaneously in different tabs/Windows, or can we do it CFI first, sign out and then I sign in?

The CFI will need to sign in and input your number. They will approve the application, you will need to use your login to signin and digitally sign, then they will have to approve. Then you are done. Best to be at the same computer.

Just to be clear, it's not just "best" to be at the same computer, but basically required, as it's a real-time username/password entry.

make sure polyps are allowed.

Yuck.

Thanks. I guess I'll have to register with IACRA first or can I sign in with the same username and password I used for Faast when I registered for that? Should we be signed in simultaneously in different tabs/Windows, or can we do it CFI first, sign out and then I sign in?
You'll need to let the CFI sign in first and it will prompt you to sign in.

I stopped by Monday and added this one also. Just for giggles.
Remote Pilot - Small Unmanned Aircraft System.
I've never piloted anything bigger than a $16 kids Christmas gift "drone". It wasn't even big enough to require a "Remote Pilot" certificate even if I was using it for commercial operations.

Friggen' Bureaucracy.

So if one wasn't current (BFR wise) and wanted to go about getting the cert, what would have to happen?
You have to go take an actual test, not just do the training & a quiz.
Remember, you can do a BFR without a medical. Your CFI has to have one so that one of the two of you are legal to fly. (For those that this applies to.)

Back