New Transponder - Diversity?

WDD

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Vintage Snazzy (so my adult children say)
I'm pricing out a new transponder. I know Canada will require ADSB Diversity (Canada unlike the US won't have ground stations for coverage), but it's rather pricy. I can guarantee I'll never fly into Canada, and I can't imagine it will degrade the value of the plane if I don't have a transponder with it.

Am I missing anything by getting the "standard" Garmin 345 transponder?

I'm pricing out a new transponder. I know Canada will require ADSB Diversity (Canada unlike the US won't have ground stations for coverage), but it's rather pricy. I can guarantee I'll never fly into Canada, and I can't imagine it will degrade the value of the plane if I don't have a transponder with it.

Nope, Get the standard GTX-345 go forth and enjoy!

BTW... top tip... have the Avionics shop install the OAT temp probe which is an option. This GTX-345 will display density altitude instead of pressure alt if you choose. Hot & heavy days in Georgia to high, hot and heavy while climbing at cruise altitude really helps in establishing power settings.

Yes.

Missing out on the ability to get traffic and weather on anything but Foreflight and Garmin Pilot. I've used both and I'd rather have a dog's balls in my mouth than touch either of those programs again.

The plane I’m currently looking at has an old 327. I need something with ADSB, preferably one that will play nice with a GTN 650xi. Ironically my IFly can’t talk to Garmin.

On second thought, maybe I’ll just get a Stratus transponder which can talk to both ForeFlight and IFly. I’d lose the ability to have the GTN 650xi see ADSB in, but then again that why I have a tablet.

Or get an NGT-9000, and I believe it can be upgraded for diversity in the future if desired. Plus the NGT-9000 has a nice screen and will talk to pretty much any EFB app you like. I can get WX and traffic on my Android EFBs (DroidEFB, iFly EFB, or FltPlan Go) through its wifi output. The NGT-9000 won't display weather on my GNS-430, but is will put traffic there. (But I get a nice weather display on the NGT-9000 anyway, plus on my EFB app.)

I've used both and I'd rather have a dog's balls in my mouth than touch either of those programs again.
Is that because you actually sort of like the former? :eek:;)

I also have a portable Stratus ADSB In 3i, which would let me get the ADSB out only version of the Stratus transponder, and just have them used an adaptor kit to install my portable unit

I believe transport Canada has softened on the diversity requirements and you just need a performance report.

Love my NGT-9000+. I get traffic coverage even when I don't have ads-b reception (happens occasionally.) I paid to get thr duper duper traffic but the jet we dodged because he/she was ignoring ATC instructions already "paid" for the extra expense. I'd love to know what the RA write up for that was like...

I'm all set. On Basic Med I can't fly into Canada anyway . . .

Reactions: WDD
Back