New to the site

Snoopy2

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Snoopy2
I was just accepted and now looking for a thread to introduce myself. I must have missed it.

I am a low-time ~13 hours student pilot. I began back in the late 90's and then 9/11 hit along with new job and family requirements. I am hoping to get started again. I have my older pilot books, so would I need newer versions?

Thanks for the invite.

Snoopy2

Welcome to the club.

Get a new FAR/AIM, the knowledge material for the most part is still relevant, just have your CFI get you up to speed with any changes.

you can download the faa docs fo' free

Welcome to Pilots of America.

There is a lot of learn here.

I recommend getting a new FAR/AIM every year and learning how to use it. It also makes a great sleep aid.

Welcome! Just check with your CFI. He/she will advise you on any materials that you need. And ditto what others have said on the FAR/AIM.

welcome.
download (faa.gov) or buy (I did both)..
AIM, flyin hndbk, book of aeronautical knowldg, instrument hnbk.

buy test prep and start studying for written, watch youtube basic flight manuevers videos.
Vids on slow flight, stalls, short/soft field takeoffs/landings. vids on flight instruments.
hopefully u remembered what you learned in those 13 hrs.. because sad to say but those 13 hrs are in your logbook but may not mean much now after 16 plus years.

check out flythewing.com

good luck on your journey... if you complete it you will join less than half a percent of the US population who are licensed pilots.

Welcome aboard. If you buy a new FAR/AIM be sure & calculate your weight & balance if you carry it in your airplane.

This is a great site. You learn new techniques here like how to cool a hot engine.

Any recommendations for a CFI or a great school near Nashville and South. I live in Franklin.

WELCOME!

There are some wonderful folks on this forum. Unfortunately they're never the ones that post. Get used to it and join in anyway.

You can download all the books you need for free, but I bought printed copies. I like to use highlighters, tabs, and scribble notes. Do a little searching on youtube and you'll find all sorts of training videos for free as well.

If you're planning to go for your private ticket, beware of the medical requirements. If you've got anything other than perfect health in your past, you might spend a fair amount of dollars just getting a special issuance. Seek advice before you go in for your exam, as a denial will leave you screwed. If you have any concerns in that arena, consider a sport pilot license which only requires a valid driver's license in lieu of a class 3 medical.

Now stand by for lots of conflicting advice......

Any recommendations for a CFI or a great school near Nashville and South. I live in Franklin.
Check out Nashville Flight Training, it's right at BNA.

Welcome, I'll echo the others with FAR/AIM. I used the electronic app version. I'm not sure what pilot books you have, but like others have said the latest FAA pubs are free. That is all I used for my private which I just finished. Actually one other book I used was ASA's written test prep book(made a 92 or 93, missed 4(actually 3, I was robbed on one)). It does a good job of consolidating all the various info sources into an easy to study format, provides summaries and sites the sources so you can obtain them and read on any subject as needed.

Thank you for the nice replies, well...all except 1 LOL
I am looking around online for resources and have already found a bunch of You Tube videos.

I am looking around online for resources and have already found a bunch of You Tube videos.
Youtube can be useful, but isn't always current nor reliable. I would suggest just like everyone else said: Current FAR/AIM. If you are looking to learn the ground school portion of training I would recommend Sporty's online private pilot course. That's what I used to learn. It is only $250, and you can always go back and review it later on. (I am not associated with Sporty's; I just like their stuff.)

I purchased Sporty's Pilot course back in 1997, should it still be up to date?

Thanks

Yup a lot of boobie youtubes out there! :thumbsup:

ps if you're serious about learning to fly you should be looking at material to learn, not boobies....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I purchased Sporty's Pilot course back in 1997, should it still be up to date?

Thanks

Honestly, if you just thoroughly study that material, you should be able to pass the writtens. The laws of aerodynamics and physics have not changed. Powerplant theory has not changed. How to control an airplane has not changed. Basic aircraft instruments have not changed. How to do weight and balance calculations has not changed. Performance calculations have not changed. Weather theory has not changed. How to navigate airspace has changed just a little. Maintenance requirements have not changed. Most other things have not changed much at all if any. What has changed is some regulations but most regulations are still the same. The changes are only a small percentage of what you may see on the written. There are some special emphasis areas that your CFI can brief you on but they are more important for the Oral than the Written.

All of that being said, I agree with the recommendations to get a new FAR/AIM as you want to know all of the rules to be safe, stay in compliance and out of trouble. It is an inexpensive investment. A new written practice book might be a good idea as well. I would not spend any money on a complete ground school program. Again as others have written, talk to your CFI once you have one.

As has been mentioned a few times, FARs, AIM, training books, and Advisory Circulars are all online and free at FAA.gov. You can purchase them too from the FAA or commercial vendors. But you really need to stop watching boobie videos.

Back