New to Site - Aviation Author

steve_ford_author

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Steve Ford
Whilst being a "Brit"....I hope my flying to date will allow me in to "Pilots of America" as part of what the politicians call "A Special Transatlantic Relationship!"

I learnt to fly at Eagle Aviation in Long Beach, Ca and my miss-spent youth was flying and training for CFII MEII and Commercial in Texas, Fort Worth Meacham Field, Lubbock,Slaton and Bourland Field. C182/BE55 and BE58.

Back in the UK I flew for British Aerospace Corporate Jets (Hawker) as a demo pilot and spent a lot of the time with Bae Inc at Washington Dulles and Little Rock, (apparently because I could say Y`All and could eat extra hot chilli). Flew on the -800 and 1000 programmes.

ATPL both sides of the Atlantic and A & P again independently both sides of the pond, led to flying B737-400 and the DC.10-10 briefly, before 23 years with an airline with big red engines out of London. Fortunate to fly B747-100/200/400.... A320/A330/A340 and thanks to Mr. Airbus the A380.

Always kept GA flying going and continue to restore classics whenever I can, the latest being a PA28-140. Original Piper scheme of course.

So what do I do now I am supposed to be retired??.......... Fly, write, eat, sleep and repeat.

If you want to know more, a bio is available on 20Westbook.com

K1.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, the more Brits the better. Being a Brit myself, I may be biased.

Where do you fly out of?
Now living in the Midlands and fly out of Coventry Airport (EGBE). Before that I was instructing at Goodwood (EGHR) .......You??????

WELCOME! Pull up a keyboard and help yourself to a cup of coffee (no tea, of course).

Whilst being a "Brit"....I hope my flying to date will allow me in to "Pilots of America" as part of what the politicians call "A Special Transatlantic Relationship!"

Certainly! Of course, you realize you will have to denounce all loyalty to the Crown....

I was in Rugby last week for a few days…great part of the country your from…thanks for joining up. Welcome!

I learnt to fly at Eagle Aviation in Long Beach, Ca and my miss-spent youth was flying and training for CFII MEII and Commercial in Texas, Fort Worth Meacham Field, Lubbock,Slaton and Bourland Field. C182/BE55 and BE58.

Back in the UK I flew for British Aerospace Corporate Jets (Hawker) as a demo pilot and spent a lot of the time with Bae Inc at Washington Dulles and Little Rock, (apparently because I could say Y`All and could eat extra hot chilli). Flew on the -800 and 1000 programmes.

ATPL both sides of the Atlantic and A & P again independently both sides of the pond, led to flying B737-400 and the DC.10-10 briefly, before 23 years with an airline with big red engines out of London. Fortunate to fly B747-100/200/400.... A320/A330/A340 and thanks to Mr. Airbus the A380.

Always kept GA flying going and continue to restore classics whenever I can, the latest being a PA28-140. Original Piper scheme of course.

So what do I do now I am supposed to be retired??.......... Fly, write, eat, sleep and repeat.

View attachment 122950
Beautiful Cherokee - excellent restoration of the original paint scheme. That's the way it should look!

When were you at Eagle Aviation LGB? I CFI'd at BelAir Aviation (the trailer and Quonset huts at the base of the control tower, where the Avitat building was built) in 1971-72.

Looking forward to threads discussing differences in flying here and in the UK.
That's interesting you say that.....I think that is an excellent idea! There are a lot of significant differences and even for a Private Pilot, people are often surprised at how many differences there are. I will give it some thought and get something going.Thanks....

Welcome, there are pilots here from all walks of life. We won't hold the "Brit" thing against you. :)
The fact that we share the same humour both sides of the pond is a good thing! (But not the spelling :rolleyes:)

When the airline I flew for first operated into Boston's Logan, because our Flight Attendants wore red uniforms, the marketing people plastered billboards all over the city with pictures of them saying: "The Redcoats are a cumin !".

The good news is that we were greeted by hospitality and kindness...not by Muskets!

Last edited:
Beautiful Cherokee - excellent restoration of the original paint scheme. That's the way it should look!

When were you at Eagle Aviation LGB? I CFI'd at BelAir Aviation (the trailer and Quonset huts at the base of the control tower, where the Avitat building was built) in 1971-72.
1980.....Lived in a Winnebago on the driveway of our company Tech Rep who was overseeing the build/delivery of DC10-30`s at LGB.

View attachment 122950
Welcome to POA. Great looking bird!

Another Cherokee guy! That’s good regardless of where you’re from. Together maybe we can sway the distain back to 172s. ;)

Welcome Steve!

Welcome to POA. Very impressive bona fides. Look forward to your contributions.

The fact that we share the same humour both sides of the pond is a good thing! (But not the spelling :rolleyes:)

When the airline I flew for first operated into Boston's Logan, because our Flight Attendants wore red uniforms, the marketing people plastered billboards all over the city with pictures of them saying: "The Redcoats are a cumin !".

The good news is that we were greeted by hospitality and kindness...not by Muskets!
At least one of my ancestors fought the British, but as was mentioned earlier, "water under the bridge." :)

Thanks did not know this existed…then again never looked. I spend a lot of time in England with family and but never attempt to fly there GA. I jokingly hold the distinction of being the first British Apache Pilot…just did it in the U.S. Army…and used the fact effectively when dealing with my British counterparts as a liaison officer.
Only fair since I like to lurk over in the “Flyer” forum of the UK. Read the “I pulled CAPS today!” Post just now, in fact. Great forum.

Love the Great Canadian Baking Show!

Back