New to Site - Aviation Author

Hey, @steve_ford_author - How about some more pics of that Cherokee? Did you do a full restoration yourself? If so, it would probably make a great story.
Just posted under "Hangar Talk"-"Aviation Media" a time lapse of the PA28 paint job. Yes and no, I am an A & P but I have access to a well equipped shop for the bigger projects. This one was more of an extensive (two month) annual than a complete nut and bolt job. Lot's of new skins though and interior refurb.

The previous project was a Beech Sundowner and I went for a scheme I had used on a 58 Baron before with a slight tweak to get the lines right.

IMG_0061.JPG

That Sundowner looks nice! I have a 1969 Musketeer Custom III, with the 180hp Lycoming, the last year for the Musketeer name. Basically it's a Sundowner without the pilot side door. I'm booked to have it painted in April.

That was a great introduction and welcome to the site! I look forward to learning more about your experience!

Abram Finkelstein
N685AS

Whilst being a "Brit"....I hope my flying to date will allow me in to "Pilots of America" as part of what the politicians call "A Special Transatlantic Relationship!"

I learnt to fly at Eagle Aviation in Long Beach, Ca and my miss-spent youth was flying and training for CFII MEII and Commercial in Texas, Fort Worth Meacham Field, Lubbock,Slaton and Bourland Field. C182/BE55 and BE58.

Back in the UK I flew for British Aerospace Corporate Jets (Hawker) as a demo pilot and spent a lot of the time with Bae Inc at Washington Dulles and Little Rock, (apparently because I could say Y`All and could eat extra hot chilli). Flew on the -800 and 1000 programmes.

ATPL both sides of the Atlantic and A & P again independently both sides of the pond, led to flying B737-400 and the DC.10-10 briefly, before 23 years with an airline with big red engines out of London. Fortunate to fly B747-100/200/400.... A320/A330/A340 and thanks to Mr. Airbus the A380.

Always kept GA flying going and continue to restore classics whenever I can, the latest being a PA28-140. Original Piper scheme of course.

So what do I do now I am supposed to be retired??.......... Fly, write, eat, sleep and repeat.

If you want to know more, a bio is available on 20Westbook.com

View attachment 122950

Welcome! I have about 1000 hours in the Hawker 700/800. Punka Louvers and Maxaret for life!

Do you happen to know the real story why the 1000 ended up being a different type rating than the rest of the 125 family? I've heard multiple stories.

Do you happen to know the real story why the 1000 ended up being a different type rating than the rest of the 125 family? I've heard multiple stories.
Now that is a good question! I can only share what I know and someone else from the FAA may be able to answer on their behalf.

It isn’t!...It was certificated as a common type rating this side of the pond.

The Type Certificate for the Hawker/125 family was transferred from the CAA (UK) to FAA jurisdiction on 1st August 1995 following the acquisition and transfer as OEM by Raytheon. It was to the best of my knowledge an FAA decision to separate them out.

Now that is a good question! I can only share what I know and someone else from the FAA may be able to answer on their behalf.

It isn’t!...It was certificated as a common type rating this side of the pond.

The Type Certificate for the Hawker/125 family was transferred from the CAA (UK) to FAA jurisdiction on 1st August 1995 following the acquisition and transfer as OEM by Raytheon. It was to the best of my knowledge an FAA decision to separate them out.
It never made sense to me that I could fly a 1965 HS125-1A in the morning, and a 2009 900XP in the afternoon with the same type rating, but the 1000 was a different type. Not that the situation ever presented itself, due to the rarity of the 1000....

Back