New to planes

It needs to be completed, or put back together, whichever.

Learn to fly first - if you still find that model compelling, you'll find one later. Google Barnstormers. . .and EAA.

Flying characteristics vary more widely in aircaft than in cars, and you'll need some experience to cope with those diffrences. . .else you'll end in a smoking hole, or rain down in bloody chunks. . .

To those who think a plane needs to be completed and inspected to register it, that is simply not true.
And why would you care to register a dismembered (or never completed) aircraft??

And why would you care to register a dismembered (or never completed) aircraft??

So when the aircraft is completed, the ASI or DAR will come out and do their inspection and hopefully issue the airworthiness. They won’t even start their process unless it is registered and most builders don’t want a completed plane sitting around while OKC does their thing. And registry often finds errors and omissions in the paperwork and will return it for correction which slows things up. Best to get that knocked out in advance.

I guess I'll just put it together best I can . Tie a o **** handle in and give it whirl.

He is probably a young, healthy guy, by "default" he won't have any problems with the FAA medical.

Profile says he's 50+ yrs old

Would that be Norman Borden the Mormon doorman?

My favorite Howard Borden line as when he said he was afraid to fly. Emily said, "but you're a navigator." He says "But I'm not FLYING the plane."

Loved that show. What was Howard's brother the game warden's name? Same episode as you referenced. Was it Gordon?

Profile says he's 50+ yrs old

My favorite Howard Borden line as when he said he was afraid to fly. Emily said, "but you're a navigator." He says "But I'm not FLYING the plane."

Loved that show. What was Howard's brother the game warden's name? Same episode as you referenced. Was it Gordon?

Yep. A game warden.

Gracious.

To the OP, the Quickie is an unusually-configured aircraft. It has handling quirks not found in other aircraft. Stock Quickies have the landing gear built into the tips of the forward wing, and this can cause some really weird things. I read once that about 1/3rd of the original Quickies had landing accidents of one sort or the other.

True, if you learn to fly on a "hard" airplane, all others will be easier. The trouble is ensuring the plane survives your learning experiences. "Fender Benders" don't truly exist in aviation; even the most minor accidents damage aircraft so they can not be used until repaired. If you're learning to fly in that airplane, that means your lessons stop until the plane is fixed.

Finding someone to teach you to fly in that airplane will be problematic. Qualified Quickie instructors are hard to find. It's unlikely you'll find a certified flight instructor (CFI) with experience in that type of airplane. I'm not saying that you won't find a CFI willing to teach you, but they'll be teaching themselves how to fly your airplane (using your gas) as they teach you to fly (as you pay them for the "instruction"). You'd be far better off to take lessons and earn your license in a conventional aircraft, first.

It sounds like this is a partially-completed project. Licensing an aircraft is more than just obtaining a title and "license plate." You'd best do some research on what it takes to license an Experimental Amateur-Built aircraft.

Ron Wanttaja

You mean buying Q2 Quickie quickly? :)
I know some people who bought airplanes before they even had their first flying lesson - some never completed the training for various reasons.
I would slow down.
:yeahthat:

The plane is proven to fly . And the holes in the tail section I thought was for ventilation. But the Wright brothers did just fine .

The plane is proven to fly . And the holes in the tail section I thought was for ventilation. But the Wright brothers did just fine .
What do you mean by ‘proven to fly’ ? That’s somewhat abstract. Has this aircraft flown before?

I would like to Thank you all for y'alls in put . It has been very helpfull.. And as far as the holes in the tail section that is primer paint . Not holes

Here is my plan is to get everything in operational order. Then try to get it inspected . And was going to install a parachute in the plane for safty in case something did go wrong . But was not just going to put it together and just go fly it . And do the pilot training . Cause I know their are things I know I need to know about flying . As I live in Odessa tx could y'all put me in contact with someone oh here that might can give me advice .

Not looking to be a stunt pilot . A to b and back to b

post more pictures. Do you have a mechanical background? are you qualified to assess the condition and quality of the build?

YDkssa1mA2RL2R_1ab3d3mwLR9kM9N_oTfXTviZ8Da8.jpg

Back