New To Me Plane, Time for Annual

And how do they re-new?
8 hours of training a year. Either a seminar or any aviation class that is acceptable to the FAA. Otherwise you have to do one annual a quarter. If you do 20 in one month it doesn't qualify. At least one a quarter.

8 hours of training a year. Either a seminar or any aviation class that is acceptable to the FAA. Otherwise you have to do one annual a quarter. If you do 20 in one month it doesn't qualify. At least one a quarter.
Show me a reference for that.

Know several that qualify on 337s alone.

No Tom, the mechanics I know that have IA, and don't use them, but renew every year, go to a seminar. I've heard them talk about it, we all get notification about seminar locations and times, in email at work.
OR ?..
(3) Performed or supervised and approved at least one progressive inspection in accordance with standards prescribed by the Administrator; or

Maybe you missed that I already posted the renewal requirement?

Mechanics with Inspection Authorization do annuals.
Refer to e-CFR Title 14, Chapter 1, Subchapter D, Part 65, Subpart D - Mechanics, 65.91 thru 65.95 for Inspection Authorization, Duration, Renewal, Privileges and Limitations. Notice it falls under Mechanics.

The reference for Paulie is in there too.

Yes. You asked how my friends renew, I told you, they go to a one day seminar.

The FAA lists 5 activity choices for IA renewal, you haven't listed all 5.

Last edited:
Yes. You asked how my friends renew, I told you, they go to a one day seminar.

The FAA lists 5 activity choices for IA renewal, you haven't listed all 5.
Why is this getting so anal? It's now a two year cycle by the way.
I don't know too many people with their airplanes on a progressive inspection program. Except the airlines and IAs are not needed in part 121.

I overhaul the GO-300-D once in a while. Here is what I'd like you to do. Let's see how loose the gears are in the reduction gear box.
position the prop horizontal (3 to 9 o'clock) then place a stick at the tip of the prop that will reach the ground. (A nice 2X2 works good) then push the prop tip up until you know the crank shaft is moving. make a mark on the stick at the top of the blade. Then move the blade down until you feel the crank move again, mark the stick again. How wide is the space between the marks? you can feel the free play in the gears. that is how we measure the gear back lash.
Let mer know how wide the space between the marks are..
The week link in the GO-300 is the gearbox, we must never allow the engine to idle, the power impulses between cylinders firing will create a hammering effect on the gears so we must always keep a load on the gears. or they wear very fast, and create metal in the oil and scare every one.
OBTW,, I love a 175, they are probably one of the best 100 series built.

I will check this next time I see the plane. Thanks.

Sacramento FSDO disagrees with that. Four a year is what they say.

Of course, if they ever change their minds, I know a 182 that's gonna get an annual every three months if I don't do one in those quarters.

Jim

Sacramento FSDO disagrees with that. Four a year is what they say.

Of course, if they ever change their minds, I know a 182 that's gonna get an annual every three months if I don't do one in those quarters.

Jim

And Sacramento is correct. For each year of the two year period, the IA must meet one of the following requirements per 65.93.

(1) Performed at least one annual inspection for each 90 days that the applicant held the current authority; or

(2) Performed at least two major repairs or major alterations for each 90 days that the applicant held the current authority; or

(3) Performed or supervised and approved at least one progressive inspection in accordance with standards prescribed by the Administrator; or

(4) Attended and successfully completed a refresher course, acceptable to the Administrator, of not less than 8 hours of instruction; or

(5) Passed an oral test by an FAA inspector to determine that the applicant’s knowledge of applicable regulations and standards is current.

What we are discussing in particular is item (1) but the answer applies to item (2) as well. For each 90 day period during each activity year the IA can either accomplish one annual or two 337s. However, the sum total only needs to be completed sometime during the activity year of April 1 - March 31 not during each actual 90 day period. Notice it is “for each 90 days” not during each 90 days. So technically, the IA could complete all four annuals anytime during the year period, even all four in the same week. They just need to be done sometime between April 1 & March 31 of each yearly period.

To clarify what TomD says he means, don't bring the plane to idle IN FLIGHT. Bad for the gears in the GO-300 and the Lycoming Gophers as well.

I overhaul the GO-300-D once in a while. Here is what I'd like you to do. Let's see how loose the gears are in the reduction gear box.
position the prop horizontal (3 to 9 o'clock) then place a stick at the tip of the prop that will reach the ground. (A nice 2X2 works good) then push the prop tip up until you know the crank shaft is moving. make a mark on the stick at the top of the blade. Then move the blade down until you feel the crank move again, mark the stick again. How wide is the space between the marks? you can feel the free play in the gears. that is how we measure the gear back lash.
The week link in the GO-300 is the gearbox, we must never allow the engine to idle, the power impulses between cylinders firing will create a hammering effect on the gears so we must always keep a load on the gears. or they wear very fast, and create metal in the oil and scare every one.

So I measured the back lash and it is about 1/4 to 1/3 inch. Would this be a major red flag?

Thanks.

So I measured the back lash and it is about 1/4 to 1/3 inch. Would this be a major red flag?

Thanks.
You are in good shape,, 1/4" is the max IAW TCM.

He is in good shape, none of the gear boxes will meet the TCM requirement, and the TCM never declared the max allowed in any manual.
the 1/4" in my post came from a inquiry to TCM technical

If 1/4" is max, and he has 1/4" to 1/3" how is he in good shape? Oh, that's right, 1/3 is less than 1/4... ;(
Should I change that to Recommendation?

No.

You should go back to the follow post and change it to "Nevermind".

Thanks guys. I'm learning a lot. Also I notice it is easy to mis-state things and get nit picked a little! Haha! It is worth it for all I learning.

New guy question: what is TCM?

TCM... Teledyne Continental Motors

At .250"- .333" your probably middle of the window on the normal wear. The problem being there are no parts for the Gearbox on the GO-300-D, You are limited to used parts if you can find them and they are getting very rare.

Last edited:
Not not picking. Why would you tell someone to do something, ignore manufacturers recommendations, use your own arbitrary numbers... are you going to sign his logbook?
If his aircraft was airworthy you bet I would.
If there is no published criteria to say it is not, how can you say it ain't?
If you think a call to technical is that kind of criteria, think again.

If his aircraft was airworthy you bet I would.
If there is no published criteria to say it is not, how can you say it ain't?
If you think a call to technical is that kind of criteria, think again.
Why did you bother calling them? Why are you even bothering to check backlash/freeplay?

@Danny Dub,

Our experience went like this: The A&P told us the first annual will be more $$$ because he wants to do a very thorough review of all the logs, AD's, etc. I know they use a computer and I think some type of specialized software. They are not only looking up the airframe AD's, they are also pulling the serial number of the motor for AD's. And then there is recommended mx, etc. IIRC, there was probably about $250 billed for that. So what did we get out of it?

First off, there is now a binder of many PAGES of AD's. For each one it lists a bunch of stuff including whether it is relevant, when it was done if required, etc. Basically it is this A&P's system and its part of his final Annual signoff.

A few un-intended benefits: I had a pilot deviation. Part of the process was a thorough review of the all the plane logs. When the ASI saw this system he said it was well done and moved on. I believe had I just said "All the previous A&P/IA's took care of them"...I would still be at the FSDO with a computer looking up each one :(

I recently finished my PPL using our plane. The DPE saw this system and was immediately impressed and we moved on after he also verified the latest annual, altimeter and transponder.

So it wasn't cheap to have this thorough system. And both cases where it came in handy were obviously somewhat uncommon but it sure made my life easier. I also think if a future A&P were to look at things and be able to start from this point they would be happy someone scoured it so thoroughly ahead of them.

Regarding first annuals: Some people say to budget 5% to 10% of the purchase price for the 1st annual. Our first annual (182) was about 5% of the purchase price.

Congratulations on the new plane. I hope your first annual goes well :)

@Danny Dub,

Our experience went like this: The A&P told us the first annual will be more $$$ because he wants to do a very thorough review of all the logs, AD's, etc. I know they use a computer and I think some type of specialized software. They are not only looking up the airframe AD's, they are also pulling the serial number of the motor for AD's. And then there is recommended mx, etc. IIRC, there was probably about $250 billed for that. So what did we get out of it?

First off, there is now a binder of many PAGES of AD's. For each one it lists a bunch of stuff including whether it is relevant, when it was done if required, etc. Basically it is this A&P's system and its part of his final Annual signoff.

A few un-intended benefits: I had a pilot deviation. Part of the process was a thorough review of the all the plane logs. When the ASI saw this system he said it was well done and moved on. I believe had I just said "All the previous A&P/IA's took care of them"...I would still be at the FSDO with a computer looking up each one :(

I recently finished my PPL using our plane. The DPE saw this system and was immediately impressed and we moved on after he also verified the latest annual, altimeter and transponder.

So it wasn't cheap to have this thorough system. And both cases where it came in handy were obviously somewhat uncommon but it sure made my life easier. I also think if a future A&P were to look at things and be able to start from this point they would be happy someone scoured it so thoroughly ahead of them.

Regarding first annuals: Some people say to budget 5% to 10% of the purchase price for the 1st annual. Our first annual (182) was about 5% of the purchase price.

Congratulations on the new plane. I hope your first annual goes well :)

There are definitely benefits to maintaining neat, organized and accurate maintenance records. Unfortunately many owners and some mechanics just don’t understand.

Hi guys. Just bought a 1960 Cessna 175a. It has been sitting for a while and we are working through the cosmetic type stuff to get it ready for annual. I had a mechanic at it's old home base do a lot to get us going but after the flight home it is clear that some issues still need to be resolved.

The logs that came with the plane are iffy but probably mostly intact. How does the IA go about all the background checking of the plane (or do they)? Maybe he will only be worried about the current condition and not the history.

Any advice is welcomed. I am a pilot by profession so I can't risk flying a plane that isn't totally legal. Trying to understand this aircraft ownership world.

Thanks in advance.

Dan
You didn't pick up the one that was for sale in Kentucky, by any chance?

Back