New to me biplane, initial look and thoughts

jbrinker

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jbrinker
I recently acquired the biplane my grandfather scratch built back in th 1980-1990 timeframe. It was flying as recently as this fall, but is now disassembled (wings, etc) and needs some work.

I have a similar thread over on biplaneforum.com as well, but since I've been on here longer and we have a more diverse membership, I wanted to toss this out to the community to see what thoughts ya'll might have.

Here's my initial assessment (link to google photos album at bottom)

- Belly fabric is shot. Well, the paint is SHOT, as in peeing/has peeled off in large chunks. Lots of tape, krylon, etc. on there as band-aids. Its much worse than 3 years ago when I last saw it.
- Some corrosion on two of the lower wind attach fittings (on fuse). Nothing super serious, but definitely going to need to do some overall corrosion cleanup and repainting of anything I can access.
- Wiring is corroded and probably looking at a complete rewire job.
- Has some old INOP fuel totalizer that is no longer supported (company gone). Will be removing that.
- Some gauges/instruments have seen better days. Compass esp.
- Rear seat needs something for a back, of some kind.
- Fabric on movable rudder bottom is loose, and looks to have been this way a long time.
- Engine (IO-360-B1F) is in good shape, up to date, and only 582hrs since full rebuild at PennYan. Prop is also in good shape and up to date.
- Nose Bowl is not in great shape. Its been repaired a number of times in the thin area in back of the prop and is on it's last legs.
- Wings are in good shape, with only some very minor paint cracks. No delam at all showing.
- Fabric is Ceconite 7600 system, (unfortunately) painted with "acrylic enamel with hardener" (probably DuPont Imron)

My thoughts:

I had thought "Get her back together and get flying by mid summer, doing as little as possible". Now that I've seen it I think "Well, this is a bigger job. Probably have to do fabric on the fuse. Maybe a good time to hit a lot of this other stuff on the fuselage.

Not sure if it's too big a job to take on, but thinking:

- Pull all the aluminum off the fuse and see what else might need attention. At a minimum the belly fabric has to be replaced. Might as well do the whole fuse and tail at that point.
- What method is best to clean and repaint the exposed fuselage tubing while I have it tore down? I'm thinking maybe dry ice blasting?
- Thinking Stewarts System for recover. Paint too.
- Full rewire, wiring is pretty bad.
- Maybe consider going with something like the Dynon FlightDEK-D180 to replace most of the engine and some of the existing steam gauges.
- If I go that route, and maybe even if not, thinking at least cut a new panel even if I reuse some of the existing instruments.

Or I could be totally getting ahead of myself.

-Jeff
Photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/B2d16ZG52ID2gxiC2

I don't know nuthin about all that, but here's wishing you the best if you decide to go through with it.

It was flying back in August. Probably has not run since. I plan to pickle the engine asap.

Thats not safety wire, its a scratch in the black paint. Just looks funny cause the camera wiggled when I took that shot. Better pics coming after I get some more of the panels off.

Restore it, keep it, and fly it.

They are fun as hell.

What Tom said.

From what I see in the pictures, those attach fittings look pretty bad. Could just be the pictures. If it were me, I would have to take it down to tha bare fuselage and build it up from there. Lots of surprises can be hidden under the fabric.

- Thinking Stewarts System for recover. Paint too.

jb:
Used Stewarts for the first time on a Super Cub project in AK past several years. It requires a different approach than Stits/PolyFiber or Randolph products but it works. I couldn't hang with the fumes anymore with the old products. OAT and humidity your biggest concerns but manageable with the right attitude. The EkoPoly top coats are urethane based but they tend to be extra sticky from an overspray stand point. Weigh the paint vs. volume measurements. Bottom line is you need to relearn any previous fabric or painting skills when using Stewarts. Good luck, nice project.

Or go with Oratex and skip dealing with paint.

Back