New Tech - Layover Lounge App

Zeebs

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
zeebs
Hey everyone, I'm a former chief technology officer and have spent the last decade building software technology. I've partnered with a "flight engineer" from the RCAF (he was actually a TCM which is essentially an underpaid flight engineer - his words, not mine! ) with over 2000 hours flying around the world in a CC130J. We're partnered up to develop an free app specific to the lifestyle of those with a limited amount of time in once place, and offer you to see where other like-minded individuals have gone when staying at the same hotel. Our goal is to grow a community around information sharing to offer optimal results. If you like the idea, please back us, and spread the word, this is for you. @layoverloungeapp

Attachments

• IMG_20201113_154524_575.jpg
    IMG_20201113_154524_575.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 29
Hey everyone, I'm a former chief technology officer and have spent the last decade building software technology. I've partnered with a "flight engineer" from the RCAF (he was actually a TCM which is essentially an underpaid flight engineer - his words, not mine! ) with over 2000 hours flying around the world in a CC130J. We're partnered up to develop an free app specific to the lifestyle of those with a limited amount of time in once place, and offer you to see where other like-minded individuals have gone when staying at the same hotel. Our goal is to grow a community around information sharing to offer optimal results. If you like the idea, please back us, and spread the word, this is for you. @layoverloungeapp
That's great. What does this app do?

That's great. What does this app do?
You can use it to find out what restaurants to go to, what to do, and other places which are recommended, based on your hotel. The unique reviews left by other cabin crew is what the app delivers, a list of optimal results. Hopefully I answered your question :)

So is this geared towards 121 crews, or will it also work if I'm staying in a non-airline location? Say for example, Canton, GA? Is it only based on hotel or general location?

So is this geared towards 121 crews, or will it also work if I'm staying in a non-airline location? Say for example, Canton, GA? Is it only based on hotel or general location?
It'll work with both, either by aerodrome or by hotel.

Progress happens with folks like you!!

As an end user, why shouldn’t I continue using Yelp, especially since I’m an older guy getting grumpier year by year who doesn’t even like to update apps or his phone ever. I’m might be an outlier though.

Thank you! The world will improve, 2020 has been depressing for everyone, but we all need something to look forward to. We hope to spread a bit of that positive energy with this project. :)

The advantage over yelp is that with our app you'll simply enter where you're staying (either by typing it in or by gps), and you'll immediately be given a list ordered by most visited (when staying at your specific hotel/location) by other verified aircrew users using the app. So if you choose, you can quickly read up on why they decided to go to that one place over all of the other options available.

And... once we've entered in where we're staying... what do YOU do with that information? Are you logging our locations and monetizing our personal data and activities? Do we have the option of having any or all of our locations, inquiries, and activities permanently deleted from your records whenever we wish, easily?

Rainbow..."like minded individuals"...lifestyle. The app won't be popular with pilots so much as male flight attendants.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Rainbow..."like minded individuals"...lifestyle. The app won't be popular with pilots so much as male flight attendants.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Ohhhh.... I didn't catch any of that. Now my previous post reads even creepier. I'm out.. wait.. let me rephrase that...

And... once we've entered in where we're staying... what do YOU do with that information? Are you logging our locations and monetizing our personal data and activities? Do we have the option of having any or all of our locations, inquiries, and activities permanently deleted from your records whenever we wish, easily?

Definitely check out the information on the Kickstarter, but yes, there will be individual controls on your profile as to what data we're able to store, and how it can be used.

Ohhhh.... I didn't catch any of that. Now my previous post reads even creepier. I'm out.. wait.. let me rephrase that...

When we say like minded individuals, we're referring to other pilots and cabin crew.

When we say like minded individuals, we're referring to other pilots and cabin crew.

Yeah, well, my understanding from conversating with an airline pilot is that 'pilots' and 'cabin crew' are not like minded individuals. 'Pilots' like to stay at hotels near bars and pubs. 'Cabin crew" likes to stay at the hotel near the mall.

Yeah, well, my understanding from conversating with an airline pilot is that 'pilots' and 'cabin crew' are not like minded individuals. 'Pilots' like to stay at hotels near bars and pubs. 'Cabin crew" likes to stay at the hotel near the mall.
It’s tough to please everyone because everyone has a different preference. At my regional airline, the majority of FAs were content with a hotel by the airport as long as it had a refrigerator and microwave in the room. Some pilots were content with this as well. Others, like myself, wanted hotels downtown with more sites and things to do, even if it meant driving further and paying higher prices for going out to restaurants, bars, attractions, etc. We finally got downtown hotel language in our contract and people were still complaining. At Delta, as I understand, we stay downtown as little as a 12 hour layover. Now do I really want to drive 45 minutes downtown when I have to be at the airport at 6am the next the day? I’d much rather prefer a hotel by the airport. More often than not, I’d rather be downtown than by the airport with a few exceptions like the one mentioned above.

Yelp works pretty good for me stateside.

it would be interesting to see where crews and pilots go. But.... I contributed to the old 100 hamburger when it was free and before they took that data behind a paywall, so I’ll likely never contribute like that again.

It’s tough to please everyone because everyone has a different preference. At my regional airline, the majority of FAs were content with a hotel by the airport as long as it had a refrigerator and microwave in the room. Some pilots were content with this as well. Others, like myself, wanted hotels downtown with more sites and things to do, even if it meant driving further and paying higher prices for going out to restaurants, bars, attractions, etc. We finally got downtown hotel language in our contract and people were still complaining. At Delta, as I understand, we stay downtown as little as a 12 hour layover. Now do I really want to drive 45 minutes downtown when I have to be at the airport at 6am the next the day? I’d much rather prefer a hotel by the airport. More often than not, I’d rather be downtown than by the airport with a few exceptions like the one mentioned above.

Do you receive any information from your company about your layover? (i.e. what to do, where to go, places to visit, restaurants/bars, etc.?)

2020 has been depressing for everyone

Nope... Doing just fine over here. Quit projecting.

...or said another way: Always remember to never use absolutes.

Back