New Scion fr-s (Subaru) BRZ

Skyscraper

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Skyscraper
My '96 318i is on her last legs and I may just pull the trigger on my first actual new car.

In the market for a new sports coupe and these look pretty attractive all around. Went and test drove one yesterday, nice and sporty, fantastic handling, looks sharp and overall extremely fun to drive. The 200 hp four cylinder boxer motor is not big but it is designed for some pretty high performance for that size (four variably timed vales per cylinder, 12:1 compression ratio, opposed cylinders, high tech fuel injection etc.). Not a ton of power in the low end of the tach but this power plant seemed to LOVE living in the 4-6k RPM range, downshift into a tight turn and she was flying! nice, smooth clutch and a really great feeling gear box, double wishbone suspension in the back, macpherson struts in the front, really low center of gravity.

So far I can't find anyone with a bad thing to say about them other than the token back seat (saves on insurance though) and not really being a powerhouse (though still rather quick).

Anyone have one? drive one? general impressions? Doesn't seem to be a better performing or more fun car in that price range...

Going to spend $30k for a car! Wow. I wish I could do that. That's alot of AvGas you could buy.

Not understanding the subject line, but saw Subaru..You thinking of buying one?

Wife just bought a 2014 Forester, moving from a Volvo. LOVE the Forester.
Brother works in car dealership, has nothing but good to say about Subaru.

Sorry, no info/feedback on Scion.

I would get the Hyundai Genesis Coupe instead. For just a little more money you get REAL horsepower - 348 vs. 180 - need I say more ?

We're Subaru cult members. Hard to find anything wrong with them other than the slightly lower gas mileage due to all of the AWD parts whirling around. Wife just got a new Outback a couple of months ago. It's too big for me, but she likes it. The CVT seems to work fine and the mileage and performance is good.

Recently purchased a 2013 Scion FR-S for parting out.... Let me know if you need any items besides front end parts (that is where the damage is. Engine compartment okay, but bumper, hood, fenders, lamps all toasted)

I really want a Hachiroku too, but not enough to trade my Jeep for it. One thing I cannot fathom is why anyone who's not a committed weaboo would buy one. If you are okay with oppressively humongous cars and just want performance for the money, V-6 Mustang is for you. If you want to carve corners, get an MX-5. Or, you can get one of those Korean ponycars with 2.0T. Or what the heck, a lightly beaten i135. Personally I'd even be okay with Fail-Wheel Drive, too. I've been a Neon driver before, and man that thing was a hoot. Sadly, American market for hot hatches is just essentially VW, so it's just the choices that I outlined. But even so, an 86 only has a sentimental proposition in contemporary market, a place for a Akina Speed Stars sticker.

We've had subarus. My wife and a forester and my daughter and her husband and outbacks. My wife was always suspicious around EAAers eyeing her engine.

My wife ended up with an Audi.
My daughter and her husband replaced one subaru with a Prius.

I have a Volt.

We have a '10 Outback which is mostly my wife's car but we also usually take it on longer highway trips. 30MPG hwy + AWD(because WI) + decent amount of space for a relatively low price.

It's a very nice practical economical car... which is why it's boring as hell. I looked at the Imprezza WRX for a while but the one I test drove just wasn't my style... too boy racery and didn't have the kind of low-end torque I like. I ended up getting a Mustang GT instead... in many ways less practical(for example because WI I park it from Dec-Mar and drive my truck) but the fun factor for me is a lot higher.

Enlighten me as to what a Scion has to do with a Subaru? :dunno:

The pres of Toyota is looking to get back into some "fun" cars and collaborated with Subaru to build the Scion fr-s (Subaru has a near identical version called the BRZ, it's the Toyota GT86 outside the US).

Subaru built the 4 banger boxer motor, toyota built a fuel delivery system and put it on. Toyota styled the body.

The scions are slightly cheaper with a few less interior gadgets but the chassis, motors and trannys are exactly the same.

Same car, different badge.

I say get an Impreza WRX, more horsies, more practical, more fun.

While very cool cars, the WRX is slightly more expensive, get slightly less fuel economy and IMO does not have the same visual appeal as the FRS. I don't need all that horsepower of the turbo WRX (not to mention the lack of longevity for most turbos), the 200 horsepower boxer motor puts out enough zing for 90% of the driving I do.

How would you say it's more practical?

Here's a pic for those not familiar :drool:. IMO, it's about as sexy as it gets for brand new under $26K.

2014-Scion-FRS-10-Series.jpg

A friend of mine has a BRZ. He loves it.

I don't have much to add to the discussion. I'll keep the Boxster.

If you are getting one, get the Subaru too many scions.

My '96 318i is on her last legs and I may just pull the trigger on my first actual new car.

In the market for a new sports coupe and these look pretty attractive all around. Went and test drove one yesterday, nice and sporty, fantastic handling, looks sharp and overall extremely fun to drive. The 200 hp four cylinder boxer motor is not big but it is designed for some pretty high performance for that size (four variably timed vales per cylinder, 12:1 compression ratio, opposed cylinders, high tech fuel injection etc.). Not a ton of power in the low end of the tach but this power plant seemed to LOVE living in the 4-6k RPM range, downshift into a tight turn and she was flying! nice, smooth clutch and a really great feeling gear box, double wishbone suspension in the back, macpherson struts in the front, really low center of gravity.

So far I can't find anyone with a bad thing to say about them other than the token back seat (saves on insurance though) and not really being a powerhouse (though still rather quick).

Anyone have one? drive one? general impressions? Doesn't seem to be a better performing or more fun car in that price range...

I haven't driven one, but FWIW, Consumer Reports says it has below average reliability -- especially in the fuel system. Sounds like it's a lot of fun to drive -- similar to my RX8.

I too am hanging on the ragged edge driving an 2002 Impala with the weak 3.1L and >220k miles on it. Breaking down on a Nebraska street is not the same as a California Interstate so I continue chanting "just two more years" when I drive it. It seems to enjoy breaking down at the airport, which is near my toolbox.

I would get the Hyundai Genesis Coupe instead. For just a little more money you get REAL horsepower - 348 vs. 180 - need I say more ?

Or you can get a Mustang GT, for a little more money you get REAL horsepower - 420 vs. 348 - need I say more?

Sadly, American market for hot hatches is just essentially VW,

Ford Fiesta ST - 197hp starts at $21k

Ford Focus ST - 252hp starts at $24k

Both cars get very good reviews.

While very cool cars, the WRX is slightly more expensive, get slightly less fuel economy and IMO does not have the same visual appeal as the FRS. I don't need all that horsepower of the turbo WRX (not to mention the lack of longevity for most turbos), the 200 horsepower boxer motor puts out enough zing for 90% of the driving I do.

How would you say it's more practical?

Its simply a bigger car. 4 Doors and hatch (sedans are nice but I prefer the hatch), plenty of room for stuff, etc

I preferred the BRZ to the cheaply-appointed Scion. But, in either case, found the car woefully underpowered despite otherwise liking the handling.

My mom has a Cooper S and it is an absolute blast, but it has also been in the shop 5 times since she bought it 18 months ago .

Last edited:
Even a base Mustang has 315 hp, and costs a little less than the BRZ. More leg room too.

It's about so much more than horsepower and price guys. Also, mustangs by and large are girl cars if you ask me.

It's about so much more than horsepower and price guys. Also, mustangs by and large are girl cars if you ask me.

Wouldn't a guy want a girlie car to attract women??? Get the girl to think the guy is gay and then put the moves on her??:D

Back