New Rands

Nice looking airplane,wish them luck.

Just started an RV7, otherwise this might be a very strong contender. Wonder how long until it is ready for prime time.

Also, +6/-4G loads? If this thing can do basic aerobatics it could be a real winner.

Last edited:
The promise is phenomenal. I always wanted a capability like RANS S-7 or Zenith CH750, but neither of them is fast enough to be useful for travel. CH750 is slower than Cessna 150 in particular. Heck it's only fractionally faster than my Carlson - only 80 knots! If Randy can to the promise of 120 knots while matching S-7's stall speed, it's going to be amazing.

But this is the first all-metal kit for RANS. It's going to take them revisions to get it right. Even the S-7 saw numerous changes over years, like going from "spade" ailerons to high-efficiency ailerons.

{Edit: Don reminded about the S-19, which basically lost in the marketplace to RV-12. I even forgot it existed.}

Last edited:
Unfortunately I'm sure it will come largely assembled for you so they can charge 50k for a kit as that seems to be the new trend. We need more RV-4 priced kits and less 45k+ kits.

The promise is phenomenal. I always wanted a capability like RANS S-7 or Zenith CH750, but neither of them is fast enough to be useful for travel. CH750 is slower than Cessna 150 in particular. Heck it's only fractionally faster than my Carlson - only 80 knots! If Randy can to the promise of 120 knots while matching S-7's stall speed, it's going to be amazing.
According to Wiki the S-7's stall speed is 36 kts.
A RV-9 is fairly close with a 38 kt stall speed and will cruise at 150 kts ...

According to Wiki the S-7's stall speed is 36 kts.
A RV-9 is fairly close with a 38 kt stall speed and will cruise at 150 kts ...
I went to manufacturers' websites and looked it up.
Book values for S-7S is 34 knots clean, 29 knots with flaps.
Book values for RV-9 is 38 knots at solo weight and 42 knots at gross weight (not specified if flaps down).
So, the difference is noticeable. And no wonder, the wing area loading for S-7S is only 9 lbs/ft^2, while 13 lbs/ft^2 for RV-9 (at lower gross weight of 1600 lbs).
That said, I know that people use RVs for light duty backcountry flying. Their landing roll is rather short with the right technique.

The RVs are good short field airplanes. The problem is gravel runways beat the crap out of the flaps, horizontal leading edge and belly. Don

Back