New plane, and boy is it ugly!

Dean, Looks good to me, and I'm envious of that new engine. See you at Gaston's whatever the paint scheme is at that time.

Dean said:
Well, I replaced N11152 today with a 1964 Cessna 172F, and I must say it has to be one of the most ugliest planes I have seen.

Dean,

Are you kidding? It looks fine. Compare apples to apples, it's not an SR22 (or an SR71 ;) ) and if you compare it to the average C172 in the wild... Well, it's probably even better than the average 172, and it's certainly better than the vast majority of the old 172's!

What you can see of the interior looks OK too, but I'm guessing that's not leather. :rolleyes: :rofl:

While I was at the airport today a Lancair 4P with a turbine landed. I could not talk him into a trade.

N7825U is in the book "The Lore of Flight"

btw-the 172-F handles beautifully...i have most of my time in one!

Airplane paint serves one purpose above all others: protecting the structure underneath. Beyond that, it's just dead weight. And your aircraft is by no means audaciously ugly; it's just "true to its era". Kind of like a 1972 Corvette in War Bonnet Yellow.

Just drink 'till it looks good!

lol Jusk kidding, the fact is I do think it looks good, it's got that classic feel to it.

This one is gone already and I'm starting to get the fever to buy #3. But until the new hangars are built, I'm just looking.:(

I don't know how I missed this thread in the past, but I gotta say, that plane isn't nearly as ugly as this one that I rented from Pittsburgh Flight Training Center at KAGC.

Attachments

• IMG_0186.JPG
    IMG_0186.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 60
I warned you!
That's not so bad. It is not as pretty as mine, but not bad. It is nothing to be ashamed of and it has a lot of potential. Congrats on what sounds like a great score.

The difference on a Comanche can be strking. We had a muckeldy-dung factory-original paint job on a 250, replaced it with a modern white base with blue & red stripes. Even though we had worked on the design extensively for several months prior to the event (with multiple owners all of whom were paint-scheme experts:rofl:) we couldn't believe how much better it looked after the paint job.

I hope you don't paint it, my High School colors were brown and white. I feel younger when I see it.

I really want to paint mine.

Sorry, punched the wrong key, it is an E model, it has the manual flaps.

William D. Thompson was the test pilot for Cessna during that period, he wrote a book titled "Cessna, Wings for the world" where he gave his opinion that the best 172 the company built was the 64-E Manual flaps, rear window, 40 degree flaps. and the 0-300 C/D

William D. Thompson was the test pilot for Cessna during that period, he wrote a book titled "Cessna, Wings for the world" where he gave his opinion that the best 172 the company built was the 64-E Manual flaps, rear window, 40 degree flaps. and the 0-300 C/D

I would have to agree.

I warned you!
It's not bad, considering some of the other paints you see those in. At least there's no orange involved... :D

Instead of "tan and brown" think "cream and coffee".

The pinstripe around the area on top of the cowl is kinda cool, and the long "V" on the sides is interesting, too. But I don't like the way it ends up at the tail... kinda awkward. Still, who cares if the paint and the airplane are in good shape, and the price is right?

Cessna GREENs were the worst of all.

I'll bring a case of spray paint to the 6Y9 flyin? LOL

I have been wanting to paint mine too. I don't mind the color, it is just that the paint is 29 years old and is showing a lot of wear and tear.

Mine is 30+ from looking at the logs, and pieces are starting to chip off. I'd really like to be able to have it look good, and not spend ~10k on having it painted.

This makes me wonder how old my paint job is. I think the answer is "very."

Maybe one of these days. You know, after I get everything else done on it. ;)

I'd really like to be able to have it look good, and not spend ~10k on having it painted.
That is the hard part. I was ballpark quoting and getting 5-8k quotes for the Warrior. It was then that I thought if I am going to put that money into the plane I will be keeping it longer than I had planned so why not get a new GPS!! So I got the 430W instead and still need the paint job. Somehow it all seemed logical at the time.

Ooooh. I didn't know you had a W. I've already pretty much what I've got on the inside...although, the interior is also reminiscient of a suit Gabe Kaplan would wear.

That is the hard part. I was ballpark quoting and getting 5-8k quotes for the Warrior. It was then that I thought if I am going to put that money into the plane I will be keeping it longer than I had planned so why not get a new GPS!! So I got the 430W instead and still need the paint job. Somehow it all seemed logical at the time.

So does this mean you're going to get the Warrior painted and keep it twice as long? ;)

So does this mean you're going to get the Warrior painted and keep it twice as long? ;)
I am not sure. I wanted to keep it about 7 years, it has been 4 so far. My plan was to paint it and then sell it later for an upgrade. But the way things in the economy are going, this plane does what I need it to do at a really good price point of operations. So maybe painting it and keeping it are the right thing. I have about 7 more years until TBO, perhaps selling just before that might be the right thing to do. That way the buyer can get the engine done they way they like.

I love Aeroncas but this is just not right:

N4008A.jpg

I am not sure. I wanted to keep it about 7 years, it has been 4 so far. My plan was to paint it and then sell it later for an upgrade. But the way things in the economy are going, this plane does what I need it to do at a really good price point of operations. So maybe painting it and keeping it are the right thing. I have about 7 more years until TBO, perhaps selling just before that might be the right thing to do. That way the buyer can get the engine done they way they like.

Yeah, the concept of upgrading for the sake of upgrading doesn't end up making sense even though we all want to. Just make sure whatever you buy will get you in and out of 6Y9. ;)

Back