New Piper PA-28 AD

Thank you. Ironic that piper.com doesn't have the SB available.

The taper wings have an inspection plate access to the area specified in the SB. The plate is a little outboard of the one shown in the SB.
Piper has turned SBs and related into a revenue stream. Gotta pay for them.

I'll ask the obvious question. If those two (or two hundred, as some say) were found without cutting into the wing, how were they found and why can't the AD simply require the inspection, whether by cutting into the wing for inspection covers or by borescope or other non-intrusive methods?

Jim
SB 1006 is probably how it was found. Removal of fuel tank, and inspect spar. There's a guy on another forum who performed the inspection, and hadda replace a wing due to the corrosion found.

Anyone have an update on weather this was made into an ad?

Am looking at putting a down payment on a 62 cherokee. Would help me if it was an ad

search

Not on the list..

Just my .02 cents.
Have the seller get ADLOG for the aircraft and have those ADs complied with by your mechanic.

Thx Tom, will make sure the ads are complied with.

The issue is, without this being an ad, the seller would never want to comply with the sb because he maybe stuck with a grounded and unsellable plane if corrosion was detected.

From a buyer's point of view, if it's not done, I would have to buy the plane first, then comply with SB and hope for the best

If you adopt this proposed procedure I **URGE** you not to specify that we use the "Acme Model 1234AA-X" inspectoscope

Jim,

It would be best not to use the "Acme Model 1234AA-X" term in that sentence as the FAA would probably quote it into the AD.

Better to say “If you adopt this proposed procedure I **URGE** you not to specify any particular model of inspectoscope because as technology improves with time the inspectoscopes will become more capable.”

Thx Tom, will make sure the ads are complied with.

The issue is, without this being an ad, the seller would never want to comply with the sb because he maybe stuck with a grounded and unsellable plane if corrosion was detected.

From a buyer's point of view, if it's not done, I would have to buy the plane first, then comply with SB and hope for the best
You could offer to pay for the SB work, and purchase the airplane, if the wing turns out to be OK. Otherwise, the owner is on the hook.

Agreed, I think this would be the only way, if at all, I can get them done before I by.

I think that is what I will try and do

Don't get me started. We've had ADs issued after ZERO instances of something.

No worries, mine has the required inspection holes. :D

Flyingron,
Are saying these ads are for no issues?

Thought there were several areas of the wing that get corrosion which is why we have these service bulletins?

So -181's dropped through the cracks? Maybe we should just stay quiet and let sleeping dogs lie.

So...it appears
NPRM FAA-2017-1059 never became an AD. I can't find it......o_O

wing spar failures. very serious inter granular corrosion of the wing attach fitting, this is a cast milling
Usually due to a bad alloy, not related to external forces.

That docket is still open until Nov 2019 and is the same time frame as Docket No. FAA-2018-1046 which addresses the spar cap cracks. If I was a betting man...
Does that mean they are still accepting comments? I’ve got a new one I’d like to add.

David Hemp at the FAA said he would “definitely “ pass on my comments. Not sure if that will mean the writers of the potential AD will read it, or throw it away since it was not sent in during the official comment period. It was definitely worth a shot to present a reasoned argument to exclude an aircraft from a possible AD that might ordinarily not be considered.

Back