New Pilot

EJWall

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
EJWall
Hey guys!

Just started flying lessons and have about 3-4hrs flying. And some good pics of the Bay in Maryland :).

I was wondering after I get my PPL, and my IFR rating, what would the next logical step to take? Would getting my twin rating be the next step? Or get a single engine complex rating (if that is even a thing).

Also I have some stupid questions but I can't seem to find the answer. First are there some twins that are single pilot rated or do all the twins need two pilots. I would also like to know if IFR rated planes can be flown VFR (I love the views), or do they always have to be IFR?

Thanks!

This is the typical route:
Private
Instrument
Commercial
Multi-Commercial
ATP

Yes, there are multi-engine airplane's that can only be flown with one pilot.

Yes, airplane's that can fly IFR can also be flown VFR.

Private
Instrument
Commercial
Multi-Commercial
ATP

No, airplane's that can fly IFR can also be flown VFR.

Ah okay. Thanks so much!

It all depends on why you are flying what the next step is. I recommend 10 hrs of aerobatics somewhere early in the process, even some during the PPL phase.

There are many twin engine planes that are single pilot, and some single engine planes that are two pilot. It has to do with the planes weight, complexity, and if in commercial or private operation, those are the key determining factors. All the GA piston twins, most turboprops, and even a couple of turbo jets, are rated to be single pilot.

Last edited:
Hey guys!

Just started flying lessons and have about 3-4hrs flying. And some good pics of the Bay in Maryland :).

I was wondering after I get my PPL, and my IFR rating, what would the next logical step to take? Would getting my twin rating be the next step? Or get a single engine complex rating (if that is even a thing).

Also I have some stupid questions but I can't seem to find the answer. First are there some twins that are single pilot rated or do all the twins need two pilots. I would also like to know if IFR rated planes can be flown VFR (I love the views), or do they always have to be IFR?

Thanks!

Maybe spend some time flying.

Getting your VFR PPL doesn't mean you are even close to being a master of VFR PPLing.

I'd go do some real flying, fly across the country in a J3 or some small tailwheel no radio aircraft.

Go fly.

Welcome and good luck with your training.

Thanks for the help everyone! I will definitely post more if I have any exciting stories or any cool pics, or if I need more help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum,good luck on your training.

Usually a CFI between Commercial and and Airline Transport.
Hard to build enough hours without it..

I'd second the comment about just doing some flying. You will have worked hard to get your Private. Go ahead and use it. Get some experience. You might get high performance and complex endorsements at any time, but do some flying before you jump at that next rating - which would probably be instruments.

Welcome, nice to see another local. Where are you training?

My tip.... Just work on getting the private for now.

Welcome, nice to see another local. Where are you training?

I'm training out of Tipton, like 10 mins from my house, love the field.

I'd second the comment about just doing some flying. You will have worked hard to get your Private. Go ahead and use it.

To put it another way: in all likelihood you will be burnt out studying. Go have some fun flying and take a break from the books. You will need the rest, the IFR is just as hard (harder?) than the PPL.

Private
Instrument
Commercial
Multi-Commercial
ATP

Yes, airplane's that can fly IFR can also be flown VFR.

Missed a step

Private
Instrument
Commercial
Multi-Commercial
A COUPLE FLYING JOBS
ATP

Congrats! I'm 13.5 hours in myself. I'm taking it one rating at a time and see where it goes.

Hey guys!

Thanks!

Just for background...it is the insurance companies that really decide how many pilots are required when you get up into things like cabin-class piston twins, turboprops, and jets. The manufacturer can say "Certified for single-pilot operation!!!" but the insurance company will say "That is all well and good, but we want two pilots, both with ATP certificates and first class medicals." Long time before that bit of trivia will impact your flying career.

Welcome to the club! You're gonna love it,

Bob Gardner

Just for background...it is the insurance companies that really decide how many pilots are required when you get up into things like cabin-class piston twins, turboprops, and jets. The manufacturer can say "Certified for single-pilot operation!!!" but the insurance company will say "That is all well and good, but we want two pilots, both with ATP certificates and first class medicals." Long time before that bit of trivia will impact your flying career.

Welcome to the club! You're gonna love it,

Bob Gardner

Definitely this. Our Merlin III is technically a single pilot airplane, but insurance mandates 2 pilots, luckily the SIC only needs to have a commercial multi certificate.

Don't worry about the complex, you'll get it with your commercial. I'd recommend learning to fly Taildraggers, then just getting some windshield time before starting your instrument. Try to get 100 or so hours in the logbook. Fly some cross countries. Do this early on and the rest will come easier

I'm training out of Tipton, like 10 mins from my house, love the field.

One of these days I need to do some flying out there. We have a campus in Annapolis that I'll likely be travelling more to and it's a pretty area.

So i'm thinking about getting a kneeboard, don't want anything fancy and just need a sectional or two and some of the checklists that I can quick reference while in flight, and maybe a sheet or two of useful information that I can use when I fly.

And if anyone can recommend a place to get sectional other than sporty's, would be great too.

Thanks!

Get a SMALL kneeboard or make your own. Most of the monsters Sportys sells are way too big. It's basically a clipboard and strap.

You can often find local charts and other pubs at a flight school.

Just do whatever is fun for you. There is a well worn path that is sold as the road to take that might not be the most fun or useful way to spend time in the sky. Get your license, fly, pursue whatever strikes your fancy and don't follow anyone else's desired path.

A small clip board and a piece of folded computer paper work for me as a knee board. I didn't like the bulky tri folds but YMMV. Try both see which one you like. ASA also has a clipboard with a Velcro strap. A lot of my students use it.

Thanks for the help everyone! I will definitely post more if I have any exciting stories or any cool pics, or if I need more help.

Hopefully not too exciting!!! :hairraise:

-Skip

Hopefully not too exciting!!! :hairraise:

-Skip

I was more talking about the phases of my training :p but yes, I do hope nothing too exciting happens

So this may be a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway. Can a plane be rated for IFR but still be flown VFR? This may be the same question I asked earlier. I have seen some threads and posts about making their plane IFR capable. Wasn't sure what that meant.

So this may be a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway. Can a plane be rated for IFR but still be flown VFR? This may be the same question I asked earlier. I have seen some threads and posts about making their plane IFR capable. Wasn't sure what that meant.

Absolutely! It's just about whether or not you can also fly in the system in clouds. One you get in to studying the regs some, take a look at required equipment and notice how IFR equipment expands on VFR.

Yes. You can fly an airplane VFR if you and the plane are legal for VFR flight. That means that your airplane has operational fuel indicator, oil pressure gauge, magnetic compass, or a cylinder head temperature gauge or other equipment required by that airplane's minimum equipment list. Notice that I didn't mention a radio or navigation instruments.

In order to fly the airplane IFR, the pilot must be rated for IFR flight and the airplane must have that minimum equipment and also have properly installed IFR instruments, which would include a radio and navigation instruments.

In other words, an IFR legal airplane is also VFR legal and an IFR pilot is also VFR legal.

Welcome to POA!

Have fun training for your PPL. Take a break after the private pilot and enjoy flying as you build some time. The Instrument rating is a great tool for your flying, definitely worth the hard work.

The view of the Chesapeake is awesome, so is the Maryland coast. I'm based at KOXB.

So i'm thinking about getting a kneeboard, don't want anything fancy and just need a sectional or two and some of the checklists that I can quick reference while in flight, and maybe a sheet or two of useful information that I can use when I fly.

And if anyone can recommend a place to get sectional other than sporty's, would be great too.

Thanks!

It would help if we knew where you were... I buy them from the local pilot shop, I am fortunate to have a very good one locally. I like the knee boards with the box for storing plates and spare pens. Office Depot has some larger plastic clipboard boxes that I have used as well, those seemed pretty decent, and you can even stick an iPad in one. I have rarely found strapping to the leg to be practical or particularly warranted.

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm as happy and likely to just have a legal pad and charts stuffed around me going from one side to the other as they get flown off. For having to take notes, make calculations, copy clearances, I really like a 8x14 yellow legal pad and a dark green Uniball with the biggest tip the best. Highest contrast to be seen with no disturbance to night vision under a red light, plus the size means I don't have to fuss with positioning it accurately to write on, or have to dig to find it if it goes forward, plus it serves as a placemat to catch my crumbs when I eat.

Last edited:
Always remember, there are a bazillion pilot products for sale, most of which are crap. The only one you really need resides between your ears. As for study material, everything you need to pass any test the FAA administers is available for a free download at the FAA.gov website.

It would help if we knew where you were... I buy them from the local pilot shop, I am fortunate to have a very good one locally. I like the knee boards with the box for storing plates and spare pens. Office Depot has some larger plastic clipboard boxes that I have used as well, those seemed pretty decent, and you can even stick an iPad in one. I have rarely found strapping to the leg to be practical or particularly warranted.

I fly out of KFME (Tipton) in Maryland.

Lesson #2 tomorrow @ 10am, I'm psyched. Discovery flight last week was #1, I'm told that counts. :D

Back