New pilot struggling

Welcome to POA,relax when you get frustrated. Remember flying is supposed to be fun

Major. And yes, most are super excited for me and have offered a TON of wonderful (and repetitive) advice. Problem is, I only get a few minutes with them before boarding starts and the door closes. Then we land and a whole new set joins my crew. Haha

Understand. I was at a regional. There's always the layovers to grill 'em! ;):D

Understand. I was at a regional. There's always the layovers to grill 'em! ;):D
Unfortunately with the majors we rarely overnight together. Even when we do, they hightail it so far away from us it’s comical. The industry has changed. I definitely miss my regional days. Oh the fun we had

Unfortunately with the majors we rarely overnight together. Even when we do, they hightail it so far away from us it’s comical. The industry has changed. I definitely miss my regional days. Oh the fun we had

Which regional? PM if you don't want to say on here. Oh, don't tell these guys about the fun part, ok? ;)

Ill chime in here with my experience. I specifically remember at hour #4 coming home and whining to my wife about how Im just not getting it, I thought it would come to me by now, Im over/under controlling, etc. I ended up going for my check ride at 50 hours. for me, I suddenly hit a point where it started clicking. I would say keep working at it. learning to fly is not easy. and the first 10-15 hours are probably the toughest (once you solo, its mostly "fun" flying- XCs, night flight, etc). You will get through this part. it gets better.

Welcome to POA!!! I can’t add any advice that hasn’t already been offered. Hang in there and good luck...

Hello all. I’m currently a Flight Attendant who just started flying lessons to become a pilot.
I’m about 5 hours in and I’m frustrated ALL THE TIME!
The online ground school just angers me because just as I think I’m “getting it”, I go to answer the quiz questions and get them all wrong. I don’t feel like I have any kind of foundation at all.

My instructor has taught me a lot but when it comes to performing, I stink! I either freeze up, manhandle the controls, or flat out just get angry and shut down.

Any suggestions on how to better build my foundation? Or is it just a dive into the deep end and figure it out process?

Before you ever tried driving a car you were an observer for 15 years.

Hello all. I’m currently a Flight Attendant who just started flying lessons to become a pilot.
The online ground school just angers me because just as I think I’m “getting it”, I go to answer the quiz questions and get them all wrong. I don’t feel like I have any kind of foundation at all.

My instructor has taught me a lot but when it comes to performing, I stink! I either freeze up, manhandle the controls, or flat out just get angry and shut down.

Any suggestions on how to better build my foundation? Or is it just a dive into the deep end and figure it out process?

I can understand the frustration, but your anger will be a bit of a problem in the cockpit. There will be many such frustrating moments in aviation, and you can't let anger get in the way of making good judgement calls.

I’m using King Schools. Every pilot I talk to says they’re the best. They’re cheesy as all get out, but they know their stuff. My problem is, I don’t. And every time I think I’m understanding, a new variable (wind direction, runway, standard vs. non-standard pattern) pops up. It’s maddening!!
Another point to remember is most of the accelerated home study courses are structured to get you past the written test and not much else.

I have all of these both digital and paper copy. It’s helping because I can write notes on the pages. But I’m still having trouble adjusting my comprehension.
Landing pattern is a good example. I was able to nail down a standard left-turn pattern and finally figured out the different points (downwind, base, final) but in the air, that all changes. So what I have in my head gets all turned around and I lose my place if you will. Or a question will be asked about the theory and I’m lost.

Hey, Nate hasn't chimed in yet!

But yeah, at 5 hours, give it time. Lots to learn.

You mean @denverpilot 5 hour reply or her 5 hours?

Sorry Nate. :D

LOL. I’ll keep it short.

Five hours, you’re still in complete sensory overload in the airplane. Totally normal.

As for your pattern thing above... seeing it on paper and seeing it from inside the airplane are two different things.

If you’re having trouble envisioning it, tell your CFI to lay out some objects in the training room to simulate a runway and then you both walk around the runway “flying” the airplane. Learn where you’ll be looking.

Only thing I can say about the money is you’re at least 245 hours away from getting paid to fly. If money is too tight at 5 hours, it’s not going to get cheaper.

And you’ll get paid less than FA pay for at least two to four years after that.

First of all, stop and take a deep breath. You'll be okay. It sounds like you're trying to rush through it when, in reality, you have time to absorb it.

I'm a student myself. 10 hours ago, I was doing routine pattern work with my CFI when he says 'dude look at your hands right now. They're whiter than my kids' white crayons.' I was holding that yoke like i was holding for dear life, when in reality i was just trying to keep the bird steady during a gusty day.

It wasn't more than five hours ago where I stopped getting the adrenaline rush from flying. It's routine now. I savor it even more now that my solarplexus doesn't have a pit in it.

You'll do fine, just pace yourself. Seek guidance (like you're doing now) from other pilots. Hell, even talk to your captain or second officer if time permits. They all started in the same place as you. We are a small community and it's beautiful. I've never encountered such a humble, helpful, and embracing community such as this and... I'm honored to be an airman. The aviation community is the single-most helpful and embracing community I've ever joined.

Utilize the FAA website. All the books and guides are there at your fingertips. Download the PDF's and save them. Open them and keep them open.

Go to youtube. There's a great channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/pilottrainingsystem

They have tutorials on every chapter of the PHAK (Pilot Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge). I've watched every video on there at least a dozen times. There are so many resources on youtube alone that teach about aviation, FAR, radio comms, etc.

There's a seasoned pilot named Jerry W who flies a twin cessna and posts videos if interesting things happen on his flights. He'll talk on the mic in an instructing way. You can't help but absorb knowledge watching him. He's one of many. I just name him because he lives in my area so I'm biased.

Don't hesitate to obtain other books on ground school too. ASA makes a good book filled with practice questions and explainations. It comes with 5 free practice exams online that simulate the FAA written.

It's an inexpensive book and I found it rather helpful in passing my written.

Continue doing what you're doing. You'll get it. My CFI says 'dude. it may seem like you're overwhelmed now but... later dude, you'll wonder why you stressed.'

I believe him because it's a breeze now to preflight the bird, get her started, taxiing to the threshold, conducting the runup, communicating my intensions, taking off, etc. I had to learn to pace myself and you will too. He will admit, with his thousands of hours, that he makes silly mistakes every so often. It's part of being an airman. You'll get used to it and accept it for what it is.

After your solo, post your shirt tail on here so we can congratulate you.

First of all, stop and take a deep breath. You'll be okay. It sounds like you're trying to rush through it when, in reality, you have time to absorb it.

I'm a student myself. 10 hours ago, I was doing routine pattern work with my CFI when he says 'dude look at your hands right now. They're whiter than my kids' white crayons.' I was holding that yoke like i was holding for dear life, when in reality i was just trying to keep the bird steady during a gusty day.

It wasn't more than five hours ago where I stopped getting the adrenaline rush from flying. It's routine now. I savor it even more now that my solarplexus doesn't have a pit in it.

You'll do fine, just pace yourself. Seek guidance (like you're doing now) from other pilots. Hell, even talk to your captain or second officer if time permits. They all started in the same place as you. We are a small community and it's beautiful. I've never encountered such a humble, helpful, and embracing community such as this and... I'm honored to be an airman. The aviation community is the single-most helpful and embracing community I've ever joined.

Utilize the FAA website. All the books and guides are there at your fingertips. Download the PDF's and save them. Open them and keep them open.

Go to youtube. There's a great channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/pilottrainingsystem

They have tutorials on every chapter of the PHAK (Pilot Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge). I've watched every video on there at least a dozen times. There are so many resources on youtube alone that teach about aviation, FAR, radio comms, etc.

There's a seasoned pilot named Jerry W who flies a twin cessna and posts videos if interesting things happen on his flights. He'll talk on the mic in an instructing way. You can't help but absorb knowledge watching him. He's one of many. I just name him because he lives in my area so I'm biased.

Don't hesitate to obtain other books on ground school too. ASA makes a good book filled with practice questions and explainations. It comes with 5 free practice exams online that simulate the FAA written.

It's an inexpensive book and I found it rather helpful in passing my written.

Continue doing what you're doing. You'll get it. My CFI says 'dude. it may seem like you're overwhelmed now but... later dude, you'll wonder why you stressed.'

I believe him because it's a breeze now to preflight the bird, get her started, taxiing to the threshold, conducting the runup, communicating my intensions, taking off, etc. I had to learn to pace myself and you will too. He will admit, with his thousands of hours, that he makes silly mistakes every so often. It's part of being an airman. You'll get used to it and accept it for what it is.

After your solo, post your shirt tail on here so we can congratulate you.
Thank you. I needed to hear all of that. And it’s making me realize that I need a CFI that says “Dude”. Cause that’s my jam. :)

My niece just got hired as a FA for Mesa. She's having a blast

My niece just got hired as a FA for Mesa. She's having a blast

It's always a blast at first. Then after dealing with passengers rudeness, even some pilots, and management, it's gets a little stale. Glad she's enjoying it though, and hope she continues to.

All of my flight training was stressful. Most of that was because I knew that there was so much that I didn't know. And I was still learning to fly the aircraft as well. Flying didn't become fun for me until after I'd passed my checkrides.

Major. And yes, most are super excited for me and have offered a TON of wonderful (and repetitive) advice. Problem is, I only get a few minutes with them before boarding starts and the door closes. Then we land and a whole new set joins my crew. Haha

and to keep up the repetition:

1) pick one aircraft type for now. C152 is just fine, and is probably cheaper than the 172. Get your name on the schedule to make sure it's available once a week (or whatever fits your budget/schedule) to avoid playing musical chairs with aircraft.

2) Read. The Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, FAR/AIM, and the Airplane Flying Handbook are two FAA publications that are free and will cover all of the needed info for ground portions. It's often much better to understand the concepts in your head before trying to learn them AND apply them in the airplane.

3) Relax. 5hrs of time at the controls isn't enough to become remotely proficient. There's a lot to be absorbing right now, so it's like drinking water from a fire hose. Things should slow down for you in the next 20 hrs. Remember, the minimum time to take the FAA practical exam is 40hrs, but the average time before testing is closer to 65hrs.

We are starting to beat this thread to death, but here's something else to consider:

Have your instructor spend QUALITY time on the ground before and after the flight talking about what you will/did do.

I know this will cost a little more money in the short term – but it will save money in the long term.

The airplane makes a terrible classroom. It should be used to confirm what has been taught on the ground.

I think the best thing that happened to me in my early training was that I was teaching my oldest son to drive at the same time. Noting how much I no longer thought about when driving that he had to learn and concentrate on helped me cut myself slack when I felt overwhelmed, etc.

Relax @Kimberley. It’ll come.

It's very heavy sensory overload initially. Lots of things going on, lots to remember and someone sitting next to you telling you what to do. It took me at least 10 hours before I stopped forgetting which way was fast on the throttle and which way to steer with my feet. Once you can stop thinking about one thing because you've learned it, you can focus on the next thing. Landing is another good example. A lot going on all at once and it feels like every decision needs to be made instantly. As you get more comfortable, you'll be able to pay more attention to each part of the landing.

I was similarly frustrated with myself early on and wasn't sure I was ever going to get it figured out. Now I'm trying to sprint through the last parts so I can take my Practical in the next 1 - 2 months.

Is your instructor working from a syllabus? Learning to fly is a building-block process...each new thing is based on something you already know. So the first few hours should be boring, boring, boring while you learn control effects, the relationship between the controls, straight-and-level, climbs, descents, climbing and descending turns, etc. IMHO you should not be worrying about patterns this soon, although every lesson should end with a pattern entry and landing to give you an idea of what lies ahead.

Bob Gardner

I can understand the frustration, but your anger will be a bit of a problem in the cockpit. There will be many such frustrating moments in aviation, and you can't let anger get in the way of making good judgement calls.

Downtown Aviation or Airventure? Either is fine but I had a preference for Downtown.
Air Venture. I looked at downtown but Air Venture is a 10min drive. Downtown would take me about 30+. And I like to try and schedule early flights due to my schedule limitations

Is your instructor working from a syllabus? Learning to fly is a building-block process...each new thing is based on something you already know. So the first few hours should be boring, boring, boring while you learn control effects, the relationship between the controls, straight-and-level, climbs, descents, climbing and descending turns, etc. IMHO you should not be worrying about patterns this soon, although every lesson should end with a pattern entry and landing to give you an idea of what lies ahead.

Bob Gardner

Bob, I agree with you but I’ve seen a lot of examples of how this is “unpopular” these days.

(Have also seen a lot of examples where people missed a building block and you can tell they did, much later on.)

You seeing a similar trend where you live?

Seems to be a big rush to do everything on day one which doesn’t really work and just frustrates the student.

It’s not a good trend.

“I consider Yoda to be just about the most evil character that I've ever seen in the history of literature. I have gotten people into tongue-tied snits unable to name for me one scene in which Yoda is ever helpful to anybody, or says anything that's genuinely wise. "Do or do not, there is no try." Up yours, you horrible little oven mitt! "Try" is how human beings get better. That's how people learn, they try some of their muscles, or their Force mechanism heads in the right direction, that part gets reinforced and rewarded with positive feedback, which you never give. And parts of it get repressed by saying, "No, that you will not do!" It is abhorrent, junior high school Zen. It's cartoon crap.” - David Brin

Air Venture. I looked at downtown but Air Venture is a 10min drive. Downtown would take me about 30+. And I like to try and schedule early flights due to my schedule limitations
Downtown had an OLV location as well as a M01 location when I lived there. Did they leave OLV?

Kimberly, one important question is: why do you want to learn to fly?
Another important question is what your life background is.
A good CFI can tailor the training to your needs so that you ENJOY it and learn fast. Frustration and anger are very counterproductive in the learning environment.

Bob, I agree with you but I’ve seen a lot of examples of how this is “unpopular” these days.

(Have also seen a lot of examples where people missed a building block and you can tell they did, much later on.)

Seems to be a big rush to do everything on day one which doesn’t really work and just frustrates the student.

It’s not a good trend.
Sorta like IFR training where you immediate leap to doing approaches?

It’s not a good trend.
I can sorta program the 430w, setup the autopilot, and turn on GPSS. And I can usually land a plane. What exactly are these other skills which people think are required?

I resumed flying after a 25 year hiatus. I found that I needed to try 3 different instructors until I found one that worked for me. I quickly passed my BFR and will have my IFR ticket next month. Don't just settle on your first instructor. There's a HUGE difference in style, chemistry, and experience out there. If an instructor gives you a weird vibe, move on.

I can sorta program the 430w, setup the autopilot, and turn on GPSS. And I can usually land a plane. What exactly are these other skills which people think are required?

And you can pour and drink coffee! It’s really no wonder you got that new Temporay Airman Certificate.

For the next one, you have to complain about the ride and ask for another altitude to put into the AP. :)

The physics of flight are exactly the same for all aircraft.
Go fast enough and the plane will fly. Go slow enough and the plane will come down.
All the stuff in between justs takes practice.
The only real hard parts are all proceeded with the words "FAA part......".
Nothing you can do except memorize the heck out of it, and rememberate approximately where it's placed in the AIM/FAR/ETC so you can find it again.
Best of luck. We are all pulling for you.

The physics of flight are exactly the same for all aircraft.
Go fast enough and the plane will fly. Go slow enough and the plane will come down.
All the stuff in between justs takes practice.
The only real hard parts are all proceeded with the words "FAA part......".
Nothing you can do except memorize the heck out of it, and rememberate approximately where it's placed in the AIM/FAR/ETC so you can find it again.
Best of luck. We are all pulling for you.
I've got the FAR and the AIM. Where can one get the ETC? ASA doesn't seem to have it on their website and the FAA apparently doesn't have a pdf of it.

I've got the FAR and the AIM. Where can one get the ETC? ASA doesn't seem to have it on their website and the FAA apparently doesn't have a pdf of it.

No matter how many books you have there is always an ETC, which you are missing.
That's how the FAA persecutes, I mean, prosecutes miscreant pilots.

Back