New pilot struggling

No matter how many books you have there is always an ETC, which you are missing.
That's how the FAA persecutes, I mean, prosecutes miscreant pilots.
At the very least there must be an AC on ETC. It's gotta be somewhere!

The only real hard parts are all proceeded with the words "FAA part......".

Mostly true, but for many students the really hard parts start with <click>"Podunk tower, 123 adam, uh, I mean alpha, bravo is, hmmm, ten, no, nine and a half miles south, no I mean north, uh,..."

Thank you. I needed to hear all of that. And it’s making me realize that I need a CFI that says “Dude”. Cause that’s my jam. :)

Watch this video of him cutting my shirt tail after my solo. He even called his wife 'dude.'

I happen to really like the guy too. Turned into a good friend.

youtu.be/J61wTCddZfU

I’m using King Schools. Every pilot I talk to says they’re the best. They’re cheesy as all get out, but they know their stuff. My problem is, I don’t. And every time I think I’m understanding, a new variable (wind direction, runway, standard vs. non-standard pattern) pops up. It’s maddening!!

You can’t go wrong with John and Martha. Yes they are campy, but they kept me awake and interested. Have you watched the competition? Can you say BORING? Good Luck, it will get better. Give it more time.

Kimberly, one important question is: why do you want to learn to fly?

Oh come on - so that when both the Capt and the FO eat the fish, she can jump in and save the day...just like every other pilot wants to. :lol::lol::lol:

It's fun. Especially when I'm flying, :rollercoaster:

You can’t go wrong with John and Martha. Yes they are campy, but they kept me awake and interested. Have you watched the competition? Can you say BORING? Good Luck, it will get better. Give it more time.

I've always liked John and Martha. I've always liked their corny/campy sense of humor. Used them for me private and instrument and commercial 'written' along with Gleim. Although I let my commercial written lapse several years ago and this time around used Sheppard Air to pass it again.

Is your instructor working from a syllabus? Learning to fly is a building-block process...each new thing is based on something you already know. So the first few hours should be boring, boring, boring while you learn control effects, the relationship between the controls, straight-and-level, climbs, descents, climbing and descending turns, etc. IMHO you should not be worrying about patterns this soon, although every lesson should end with a pattern entry and landing to give you an idea of what lies ahead.

Bob Gardner

I get that occasionally. When will I solo? Well, look at the syllabus to see what I'll train you on before you can even think about solo. I could train you for say 5 hours for nothing but TO & Landings and solo you. But, what will you do when it hits the fan? Usually that satisfies them.

I get that occasionally. When will I solo? Well, look at the syllabus to see what I'll train you on before you can even think about solo. I could train you for say 5 hours for nothing but TO & Landings and solo you. But, what will you do when it hits the fan? Usually that satisfies them.

I open up 61.87 and go over it with them. This is a good opportunity to start teaching FARs, if I have not started already.

Mostly true, but for many students the really hard parts start with <click>"Podunk tower, 123 adam, uh, I mean alpha, bravo is, hmmm, ten, no, nine and a half miles south, no I mean north, uh,..."

Or later on, when I was approaching an airport, on a solo cross country, I felt so cool:
"Flying Cloud tower, Warrior 2240 golf is 10 to the northeast at four thousand, five hundred, inbound to land, full stop"
pause
"Warrior 2240 golf... are you sure you're not 10 miles to the northwest?"
pause
"Ahhhhhhhhh heck, yes I'm sorry, you're right, 10 to the northwest, Warrior 2240 golf"

"No problem 2240 golf, make right traffic, one-zero left (blah blah blah)"

Back