New panel underway, GTN-750, G5s, GTX-345

Getting dimming to look right is a PITA, too many different manufacturer's gear and they don't all have the same brightness or slope if it is digital/LCD. Kind of trial & error.

I love my CGR-30P. I don't remember any gotchas from the install. Had a bad EGT probe on delivery but got a new one from the vendor. Picking what you want on the screens is the hardest part.

I love my CGR-30P. I don't remember any gotchas from the install. Had a bad EGT probe on delivery but got a new one from the vendor. Picking what you want on the screens is the hardest part.

This is actually why the square-screened JPI EDM-900 is also on my cross-shop list. More screen real-estate and more primary instruments. It's a little more expensive, but not enough to matter.

Not that it matters...I'm not doing anything quite that pricey and optional for a while. Bank account recovery mode for now...

It's home! I flew it home to KPAO from KUAO. That was a hell of a flight. Smoke really is no joke. I was superbly relieved that the new panel is hella functional and utterly free of snags. It performed flawlessly and improved situational awareness immensely. And the GPSS was a huge workload saver, especially in the mess that is choking haze and smoke.

IMG_20180817_115302.jpg IMG_20180817_115334.jpg

Looks awesome!

Thanks!

The only real surprise was that the altimeter wouldn't calibrate to standard, so I was forced to replace it with new at the last minute. Would have ordinarily done an exchange or an overhaul, saving almost $1000, but would have cost me that much to change the travel plans, so made sense to just get new. The old one is in my car's trunk right now...can still get that overhauled and sold, which should help. They also found static leaks all over, which needed fixing.

$38,000. It turned out great, but that was a hell of a bill.

Don't think of it as spending 38k. Think of it as increasing your asset value 10k.

[Says a guy whose been there]

Why is the heading 167 on one G5 and 168 on the other? Are they not both connected to the magnetometer?

I am about to do dual G5s in mine so kinda curious.

Why is the heading 167 on one G5 and 168 on the other? Are they not both connected to the magnetometer?

I am about to do dual G5s in mine so kinda curious.

No idea. In flight they were absolutely sync'ed. To the point where it's even smart enough to not let you have two HSI. Either one can be the AI or the HSI and you can have two AI, but it will stop you from pulling up two HSI. Didn't even notice that in the picture.

No idea. In flight they were absolutely sync'ed. To the point where it's even smart enough to not let you have two HSI. Either one can be the AI or the HSI and you can have two AI, but it will stop you from pulling up two HSI. Didn't even notice that in the picture.

That’s because HSI is disabled in the config page per STC in one of the G5

So where is the AI (top one) getting the heading info from?

Magnetometer. If you go to the config Page , technically you can change the disabled setting and make it switch to HSI Page, in fact both units are exactly the same.

So if the HSI and AI are both getting data from the magnetometer, why are they 1 degree off?

That’s because HSI is disabled in the config page per STC in one of the G5

Little more complex logic than that. You can actually set either one to HSI. It's just that at least one needs to be AI.

I was just assuming that if both are getting heading from the magnetometer, they'd always be the same. It implies that the G5s are polling the magnetometer rather than the magnetometer continuously sending heading data.

That’s what I said

OK, I thought you meant only one could be the HSI. I misunderstood.

The GMU 11 magnetometer is in tail in my plane, near the ELT. Apparently quieter and easier than the wing on 172.

The GMU 11 magnetometer is in tail in my plane, near the ELT. Apparently quieter and easier than the wing on 172.

That's interesting. The 172SP/G1000 puts the GMU44 magnetometer inside the left wing panel according to page 7-64 of the POH (pre-WAAS).

BTW, shouldn't the vacuum gauge be placarded?

That's interesting. The 172SP/G1000 puts the GMU44 magnetometer inside the left wing panel according to page 7-64 of the POH (pre-WAAS).

BTW, shouldn't the vacuum gauge be placarded?

Yeah, that pic was taken before that happened.

Back