New logbook - Jeppesen

mandm

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Michael
I’ve filled up my first logbook and moving into a Jeppesen logbook.

The new logbook has NR T/O, NR LDG

Previously I’ve counted day & night landings only, so wondering if I should add my day/night T/O + LDG and put that as a carry-forward? But then there is no space to count night landings.

Also, no carry forward on number of approaches.

Thoughts?

Congratulations!

I got a jepp logbook after I earned my commercial. Then I went digital (home brew excel). Now the book only sees the light of day to get a cfi signature for whatever training I need to log.

I’ve filled up my first logbook and moving into a Jeppesen logbook.

The new logbook has NR T/O, NR LDG

Previously I’ve counted day & night landings only, so wondering if I should add my day/night T/O + LDG and put that as a carry-forward? But then there is no space to count night landings.

Also, no carry forward on number of approaches.

Thoughts?
Logbooks generally contain two things:
1. Entries that are required by 61.51.
2. Entries that whoever designed the logbook thought would be useful, given their own wants and desires and experiences.

So yours doesn't have a carry-forward for number of instrument approaches because the designer didn't think that was a worthwhile field to track totals of. Maybe it is to you, in which case make your own box at the bottom (although I have never been asked how many approaches I've flown, so it probably isn't really worthwhile other than as a "gee whiz" number).

Similarly, the designer didn't want to spare the space for a separate "night landings" column. That's certainly just due to limited column space, but I always just put an "N" next to it if it was a night landing (or night takeoff).

Last edited:
Logbooks generally contain two things:
1. Entries that are required by 61.51.
2. Entries that whoever designed the logbook thought would be useful, given their own wants and desires and experiences.
There are definitely a lot of people out there who think the logbooks published by various companies are in some way "regulatory" rather tha what you accurately describe there. I gave up counting the people who insist there is a requirement to sign every page.

Personally, I never understood "Day" columns.

There are definitely a lot of people out there who think the logbooks published by various companies are in some way "regulatory" rather tha what you accurately describe there. I gave up counting the people who insist there is a requirement to sign every page.

Personally, I never understood "Day" columns.
Same. Some of my students have a "Day/Night" column. The way I see it, if it's not night, it's day....so why log day?

I gave up counting the people who insist there is a requirement to sign every page.
I had a Fed tell me that I need to have an applicant sign every page when he prints out his e-logbook for me to review. I asked where the requirement was, and he said it didn’t exist, but it could come back on me if they weren’t signed.

He couldnt, however, tell me which landfill they would look in to find out whether or not they were signed, because if an applicant chose to falsify his logbooks in order to present them to me, he‘d more than likely destroy the evidence as soon as he completed The checkride.

Back in 2000 I went to work for a company flying cancelled checks. As I have stated before, my log book is a spiral note book that I put the columns in that I wanted. The D/O told me it is not an official log book and that the FAA won't accept it. I asked him if he asked the FAA and reminded him the FAA not only doesn't care if I log time on a paper poke but also doesn't require a log book. He told me he would ask the POI.

Well, the POI told me I had a well organized log book, but I needed to sign every page. I asked, and a rubber stamp was Ok as long as it was my signature. He said it was like signing an honors pledge before taking a test. I took it at that.

This is the same company that called the FBI because a plane had 2 hours exactly more on the Hobbs than the latest flight log showed. Never mind the dispatch office is manned 24 hours a day and is locked, and that the keys to the plane and prop lock are in a locked box and only the dispatcher has the key to that. No pilots are allowed in the dispatch room, we had to use a window to get the flight can and keys, plus sign the dispatch paper. So no one just walked in and took the keys.

Good thing math skills are not required to be a pilot.... yes, bad pilot math....

Back