New Lightspeed Zulu 3 Giveaway

"By accepting a prize, each Prize Recipient agrees to allow Sponsor and/or Sponsor's designees the perpetual right to use his/her name, biographical information, photos, videos and/or likeness, and statements for promotion, trade, commercial, advertising and publicity purposes, at any time or times, in all media now known or hereafter discovered, worldwide, including but not limited to on the World Wide Web and Internet, without notice, review or approval and without additional compensation except where prohibited by law."
That's steep...

"By accepting a prize, each Prize Recipient agrees to allow Sponsor and/or Sponsor's designees the perpetual right to use his/her name, biographical information, photos, videos and/or likeness, and statements for promotion, trade, commercial, advertising and publicity purposes, at any time or times, in all media now known or hereafter discovered, worldwide, including but not limited to on the World Wide Web and Internet, without notice, review or approval and without additional compensation except where prohibited by law."
That's steep...
That does it. I'm out. Way to many skeletons in the closet. Speaking of I'm out......

That's steep...
Not sure about that stuff. You’d have to ask @Datadriver if he was or felt violated. :)

Not sure about that stuff. You’d have to ask @Datadriver if he was or felt violated. :)
It is not about @Datadriver being violated, I am sure that Lightspeed is a well behaved company (full disclosure, I own a Zulu 3 myself) and that he has been treated well. The problem is signing off perpetual rights to use your name, biographical information, photos and more without limitations, and the right extends to the designees too, without notice or approval. You can basically be used and sold forever and wherever, by any entity that owns Lightspeed now, will own Lightspeed in future or will be 'designated' by the company at any time. Would I sign that for a free Zulu? Personally no, but I am probably stricter than most people.

25th anniversary edition? What am I supposed to do with my 24th anniversary edition now?
throw-out-rage.gif

That's steep...

Same agreement LightSpeed does when they give headsets to Ray recipients.

Hmmm, the lady holding up the headset in the photo has a nose ring.
Will I be required to get a nose ring too? Around our place, only the bull and the riding steers get nose rings.

That's steep...

I started to enter and backed out when I read that ...

"By accepting a prize, each Prize Recipient agrees to allow Sponsor and/or Sponsor's designees the perpetual right to use his/her name, biographical information, photos, videos and/or likeness, and statements for promotion, trade, commercial, advertising and publicity purposes, at any time or times, in all media now known or hereafter discovered, worldwide, including but not limited to on the World Wide Web and Internet, without notice, review or approval and without additional compensation except where prohibited by law."...

Millions will enter, 1 will win. I'll take the risk...

What's the connection to 310Pilot - they seemed to use them as well last time for their 25 day give-a-way

It is not about @Datadriver being violated, I am sure that Lightspeed is a well behaved company (full disclosure, I own a Zulu 3 myself) and that he has been treated well. The problem is signing off perpetual rights to use your name, biographical information, photos and more without limitations, and the right extends to the designees too, without notice or approval. You can basically be used and sold forever and wherever, by any entity that owns Lightspeed now, will own Lightspeed in future or will be 'designated' by the company at any time. Would I sign that for a free Zulu? Personally no, but I am probably stricter than most people.

You think you actually have control over your information? Not in this day and age. Its already out there, whether you approved it or not!

I did this to a co-worker of mine. Guy has no internet, uses a flip phone, so minimal exposure right? In less than a minute I could find his home address, phone number, ex-wife's name, address and phone number, work history, acquaintances, place of birth, value of his home (with photos), all from easily Googled data. Privacy is a myth my friend.

You think you actually have control over your information? Not in this day and age. Its already out there, whether you approved it or not!

I did this to a co-worker of mine. Guy has no internet, uses a flip phone, so minimal exposure right? In less than a minute I could find his home address, phone number, ex-wife's name, address and phone number, work history, acquaintances, place of birth, value of his home (with photos), all from easily Googled data. Privacy is a myth my friend.
Yes, but the unlimited use of that information for commercial advertising purposes in perpetuity is not!

You are confusing the fact that you could possibly find some personal information on the web with the right to use that information commercially and sell it to others. Privacy is what you make of it.

That's steep...

Then don’t participate in the giveaway.

"By accepting a prize, each Prize Recipient agrees to allow Sponsor and/or Sponsor's designees the perpetual right to use his/her name, biographical information, photos, videos and/or likeness, and statements for promotion, trade, commercial, advertising and publicity purposes, at any time or times, in all media now known or hereafter discovered, worldwide, including but not limited to on the World Wide Web and Internet, without notice, review or approval and without additional compensation except where prohibited by law."...

I had second thoughts about my entry after I read Zeldman's post, so in the very unlikely event I win, I can still avoid giving the sponsor the perpetual right to my privacy as long as I don't accept the prize. Besides, I already have a Zulu 3 I bought like new from Pigpen Racing.

OK, so I just got the email saying I won. After reading this thread....Until late last year I worked in aerospace and the general rule was to stay below the radar. Altho not there now (back to full-time college faculty) I may go back (if sufficient incentive) I've always tried to remain boring and uninteresting. I use my name on LinkedIn but everywhere else (including here), it's my dog. I'm beginning to question if I should say no thanks?

OK, so I just got the email saying I won. After reading this thread....Until late last year I worked in aerospace and the general rule was to stay below the radar. Altho not there now (back to full-time college faculty) I may go back (if sufficient incentive) I've always tried to remain boring and uninteresting. I use my name on LinkedIn but everywhere else (including here), it's my dog. I'm beginning to question if I should say no thanks?
Go with your gut. "Just say 'No'"

How much information do they have? Did you have to give them more than your name and phone number? I really doubt they go digging up your pictures and whatnot especially if none of them are under your real name. I would think that the stipulation only applies to information you've given them, but I may not have any clue what I'm talking about. :p

Yeah it really sounds like a nothingburger to me, I doubt they do anything with it. But if you ever need to enter witness protection in the future the FBI would nip that in the bud easy enough.

But I also vote you tell them no, so they can draw my name next. :D

About 6000 entries in the last contest

I wouldn’t agree to those terms just for some headsets. Now if it was an airplane giveaway, it would be “where do I sign?”

Dang. Lost again. Or did I win by not winning? My likeness can only be used by me. I think.

If you didn't post this, none of us would have been able to connect your real name with your online persona. You might have been able to claim the headset and still keep the two separate.

OK, so I just got the email saying I won. ... everywhere else (including here), it's my dog.

If you'd entered your dog's name in the contest, maybe it would have worked out better? I can see why a scholar would not want to sign away the use of his name and likeness and have his reputation controlled in perpetuity by some company. But the dog wouldn't mind, would he?

If you didn't post this, none of us would have been able to connect your real name with your online persona. You might have been able to claim the headset and still keep the two separate.
so, where is the winners name posted? I couldn’t find it.

nevermind…found it.

I’m really not that anonymous…many of the Colorado bunch know me.

nah, if you got a big head and a loud machine I much prefer the Zulus

I flew a Beaver and a Norseman with A20s and it was fine other than takeoff. They don’t make ‘em much louder than that. FWIW, the fancy DCs and the zulus didn’t fare any better during t/o.

Yea, tell them to pick me instead… I have some pretty much brand new PFX’s I’ll send you for compensation lol

I forgot when the drawing was, so I clicked the link again. Got a "404 File Not Found". I searched for "giveaway" and "contest" and found nothing.

Has the drawing been held yet? Nobody called me with my prize. I wouldn't mind accepting under the conditions shown because at my age, it probably won't matter much.

Back