New instrument pilot

BigBadLou

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Lou
Just wanted to thank everybody for answering my dumb instrument questions over the past months and helping me get educated in the matter.

I had a ride yesterday morning and while it was a lot of work and an incredible pace, it was still fun and I did not feel deficient.

We've shared the sky before ... now you will have to share clouds with me too so watch out for me. (joke) :D

congratulations! Hopefully you'll have a few smooth cloudy days in your near future to put your new privilege to use!

Congrats,now go get the ticket wet.

Already did. :D Not solo, no. But a few weeks ago, it was OVC010 here with freezing levels in the teens (so safe from icing). Called up and begged my ATP buddy to right-seat for me and I logged full 1.0 in IMC. It was a non-event but I really wanted to have the exposure with an experienced co-pilot. The DPE liked that logbook entry. :yesnod:

Congrats! File as much as you can even on clear days and keep your skills sharp

Congratulations!!! and welcome to the "cloudy day flying club"...:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Guess we can now form the Texas chapter of the League of Temporary Airmen.

Conga rats!

CongaRats.gif

Just wanted to thank everybody for answering my dumb instrument questions over the past months and helping me get educated in the matter.

I had a ride yesterday morning and while it was a lot of work and an incredible pace, it was still fun and I did not feel deficient.

We've shared the sky before ... now you will have to share clouds with me too so watch out for me. (joke) :D

I'm still in the 'sorry for all the dumb questions mode' myself.

Congrats!

Congrats! Hopefully I'll be making a similar post here in the next couple of months myself

Congratulations. I know you're glad to have that ride behind you. Now, go get that ticket wet.

I'm still in the 'sorry for all the dumb questions mode' myself.
Keep asking. And of course, sift through the answers carefully. You can only learn by asking. And you will get some real-world perception too. It helped too that I have a 10,000-hr ATP buddy and I can ask all the questions I want. :)

Congrats! Hopefully I'll be making a similar post here in the next couple of months myself
Go for it, you won't regret it. Are you nervous about the checkride? Got your written done?

Now, go get that ticket wet.
Already done. Begged my ATP buddy to go up with me on a OVC010 day. Logged 1.0 IMC that day. The DPE liked it. He said he doesn't normally sign off any IR applicants with low IMC exposure. Smart.

Go for it, you won't regret it. Are you nervous about the checkride? Got your written done?

Haven't done the written yet, I'd like to get it knocked out by the end of this/beginning of next month. I wouldn't say I am nervous for the check ride, but I certainly don't expect it to be a cake walk either.

Great job, Lou. Have you set personal minimums?

I've had my ticket for a year, have about 3 actual hours, and file IFR pretty often, even when severe clear. I'm still holding myself to a personal minimum of daytime, 1,500 OVC ceilings, with three miles or better visibility. I keep being on the lookout for a good IFR actual day to shoot approaches with a very current CFI like the one hour you did.

I've had my ticket for a year, have about 3 actual hours, and file IFR pretty often, even when severe clear. I'm still holding myself to a personal minimum of daytime, 1,500 OVC ceilings, with three miles or better visibility. I keep being on the lookout for a good IFR actual day to shoot approaches with a very current CFI like the one hour you did.
My personal minimums are the ones written on the approach plate. If I'm not comfortable shooting an approach down to minimums then I need more training. Just my $.02.

My personal minimums are the ones written on the approach plate. If I'm not comfortable shooting an approach down to minimums then I need more training. Just my $.02.
It's more than likely you have never come close to shooting an approach to those minimums.

Nothing against you, and certainly congrats on your new rating.

ETA: I see its Jordan, who I fully understand is a professional instructor on his way to much better things. You will do fine, and understand this post later in your airline career.

Last edited:
Haven't done the written yet, I'd like to get it knocked out by the end of this/beginning of next month. I wouldn't say I am nervous for the check ride, but I certainly don't expect it to be a cake walk either.
Correct, it is not a cake walk but it is fun nonetheless. As long as you are ready and you feel ready (and your CFII agrees), a checkride is just that a ride to check your skills. It is not supposed to be torture. :) Let us know how it goes.

Negative. I think I should. Though I am responsible enough not to launch into foggy days with 1/4mi visibility and OVC002. So far, my personal minima are set by my brain. If the forecast make me feel uneasy, I should stay home.

True. I would agree with that for my destination. However, for my alternate, I'd like much higher ceilings and a good and improving forecast. Otherwise the risk is high. But then again, I am not a professional pilot so I don't have to fly on command. I have the luxury of spending the foggy weekend at home.

Back