New here

Justin Moose

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Moose
Hello everyone,

This is my first post, wanted to stop by and introduce myself. My name's Justin, 32, and have been obsessed with planes and flying for as long as I can remember. Well, yesterday, Dec 3, 2016, I took my first flight and logged .7 hours in a C172 out of KBUY in Burlington NC.

Its been something I've been dreaming about for years, and finally pulled the trigger on it. I sat at the fence for 45 minutes watching planes take off and land, butterflies in my stomach. I walked down to the hanger and asked about a discovery flight. 20 minutes later we were taxiing down the runway. The CFI climbed to 3500 feet and said "you have the controls". I confirmed and felt my life change as I took control of the Cessna.

My goals are to one day own my own plane and operate a flying service. The dream is to fly a Grumman Goose or Albatross out of NC's outer banks, but I'd be happy with anything as long as its in the air. Now, Im in the process of rearranging my life to get there. I have no idea how long it will take, or where it will lead me, but Im ready. :)

You're hooked! Welcome "Moose", that'd be a great screen name. Good luck, and keep us updated.

Congrats on your first flight. Love your dream. The Grumman flying boats are amongst my favorite planes.

Welcome to Pilots of America Justin.

I have found much to learn here that may help you with your dream.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I hope to learn as much as I can from this awesome community.

Welcome as a new member and a new trainee I only have 3 hours logged, so I can say keep at it this is fun.

Welcome to PoA!

Be aware that aviation isn't just a passion, it's an addiction... once you start you may get hooked, and it's an expensive habit!

Welcome! Azure is right, it can be worse than heroin in both respects, but at least probably healthier for you. Check out Barnstormers. There is a really cool big Grumman twin flying boat on there for sale. Thought it would make the ultimate party plane. While the wife did technically say "sure" she also had that look of "you are stupid" so I'm not going to move on it just yet.

Take it one step at a time for the time being. Start training and make sure you love it. I've been doing it 20 years and it is never boring. There's nothing else I love more to do. Some say it is better to save up some money so you can do frequent training, which is probably a smart move. If you wait more than a week between flights you'll just be relearning what you did last time a lot, instead of moving forward. Good luck!

Welcome to PoA!

Be aware that aviation isn't just a passion, it's an addiction... once you start you may get hooked, and it's an expensive habit!

Aren't all habits expensive though? :D

Yeah I haven't quite figured out how Im going to pay for it yet. I did talk to a fellow there at the airport about a weekend job fueling planes and helping out in the shop (they're a Cessna service center). Im a mechanic by trade in the diesel and equipment field. Considered going back to school for A&P, but not sure that would be enough more than Im making now to pay for flying.

Yeah I haven't quite figured out how Im going to pay for it yet. I did talk to a fellow there at the airport about a weekend job fueling planes and helping out in the shop (they're a Cessna service center). Im a mechanic by trade in the diesel and equipment field. Considered going back to school for A&P, but not sure that would be enough more than Im making now to pay for flying.

Might be worth it later on to get your A&P as you said you'd like to start a flying service. As an experienced CFI I've found that students who fly infrequently take much longer to get their PPC. Once a week is the bare minimum, but I always encouraged students to try and fly twice a week. More often is even better. If you fly say once every 2-3 weeks, you don't retain what you learned from the previous lesson, and then you spend most of the following lesson repeating what you did on the prior lesson. Ideally if you saved up and had the money would be the way to go. Hard to do, and I certainly couldn't do it that way when I started. In fact I started when stationed in Korea and got about 30-35 hours, then returned to the states. Had to lay off for a year because we had a kid. When I started back I had to repeat just about everything. So I guess you could say it cost me double to get my PPC.

Last edited:
Justin,

Welcome to POA!

It's a great adventure, enjoy it. You will hit plateaus, they will pass. As mentioned, the more often you fly the better your learning will move forward. I hope you post some progress reports.

Good luck!

Welcome aboard! Hopefully that .7 is the first .7 of many more on the Hobbs! I can still remember my intro flight very clearly even 6 years ago! I'm sure you will never forget yours!

Last edited:
I've been walking around the shop all day with this stupid looking grin on my face. Been telling everyone about it. All I can think about is getting back in a plane. Waiting for someone to tell me I got my head in the clouds, Lol... :)

Justin,

Welcome to POA!

It's a great adventure, enjoy it. You will hit plateaus, they will pass. As mentioned, the more often you fly the better your learning will move forward. I hope you post some progress reports.

Good luck!

Im really looking forward to my first landing. That looks pretty hard, at least from what I seen the CFI do the other day. Of course that will be simple one day, but Thats my next plateau I guess.

I will absolutely post progress reports! Y'all will probably get tired of me Lol.

Thanx to everyone for all the support!

I've been walking around the shop all day with this stupid looking grin on my face. Been telling everyone about it. All I can think about is getting back in a plane. Waiting for someone to tell me I got my head in the clouds, Lol... :)

Evidence that you are completely hooked! Not to brag about a thread I started on here but I posted recently about a flight I took and if you look at the thread, you will see that even after 6 years of flying( 5 of which I've been on my own) I still have flights that I just leave with a giant smile on my face and I still am thinking about it 3 days afterwards!

You are about to set off on the best journey money can buy! Enjoy every second of it!

Welcome! Azure is right, it can be worse than heroin in both respects, but at least probably healthier for you. Check out Barnstormers. There is a really cool big Grumman twin flying boat on there for sale. Thought it would make the ultimate party plane. While the wife did technically say "sure" she also had that look of "you are stupid" so I'm not going to move on it just yet.

Take it one step at a time for the time being. Start training and make sure you love it. I've been doing it 20 years and it is never boring. There's nothing else I love more to do. Some say it is better to save up some money so you can do frequent training, which is probably a smart move. If you wait more than a week between flights you'll just be relearning what you did last time a lot, instead of moving forward. Good luck!

I seen that! Its like a party bus, pontoon boat, and plane all in one! I really love the old Grummans. There was a company (Antilles airplanes I think) that was building new Gooses with turbo prop engines. Dont know if they're still in business though.

Might be worth it later on to get your A&P as you said you'd like to start a flying service. As an experienced CFI I've found that students who fly infrequently take much longer to get their PPC. Once a week is the bare minimum, but I always encouraged students to try and fly twice a week. More often is even better. If you fly say once every 2-3 weeks, you don't retain what you learned from the previous lesson, and then you spend most of the following lesson repeating what you did on the prior lesson. Ideally if you saved up and had the money would be the way to go. Hard to do, and I certainly couldn't do it that way when I started. In fact I started when stationed in Korea and got about 30-35 hours, then returned to the states. Had to lay off for a year because we had a kid. When I started back I had to repeat just about everything. So I guess you could say it cost me double to get my PPC.

I really hope to be able to train at least once a week. Trying to pick up either a second job or enough side work to pay for my lessons.

10-4 on the A&P. Im a mechanic by trade and would feel alot better if I was trained on airplanes too. Its good to know how things are supposed to work, and be able to do the repair and service work myself

Welcome to POA. My only advice for you to fund your addiction is the following:

#1 - every time mscard88 gets banned, put $5 in a jar

#2 - every time your thread gets hijacked, put a $1 in a jar

#3 - every time these grumpy old goats start arguing over nonsense, put a nickel in a jar

Not only will you be able to fund your addiction, you should be able to buy a damn G550 with some nickels lest over.

Welcome to POA. My only advice for you to fund your addiction is the following:

#1 - every time mscard88 gets banned, put $5 in a jar

#2 - every time your thread gets hijacked, put a $1 in a jar

#3 - every time these grumpy old goats start arguing over nonsense, put a nickel in a jar

Not only will you be able to fund your addiction, you should be able to buy a damn G550 with some nickels lest over.

Oh hell, #3 alone will fund quite a bit of aviating even at a nickel a pop.

If you can find a plane to partner in on or buy, with the right financing it's not out of reach for most people. If you are a mechanic and an A&P, you can really get a good deal on a fixer-upper.

Back