New here, question about turbine time.

Logan Hardee

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jaxpilot02
Hey everyone, just found this website and figured I’d ask my question. Someone please tell me if I’m crazy on my thought process.
I just graduated high school and am planning to become a pilot (duh). My goal would be flex jet ultimately.
My question is, if i go through the company ATP (which is based out of my city) how do I build turbine time? If I go CFI after to build hours I wouldn’t be teaching in jets obviously. Do I have to go regional airline to get the 500 + hours or what? Also, if I apply with 1500 hours to flex jet with a bachelors what’s the likely hood of them hiring? Thanks everyone!

Hey everyone, just found this website and figured I’d ask my question. Someone please tell me if I’m crazy on my thought process.
I just graduated high school and am planning to become a pilot (duh). My goal would be flex jet ultimately.
My question is, if i go through the company ATP (which is based out of my city) how do I build turbine time? If I go CFI after to build hours I wouldn’t be teaching in jets obviously. Do I have to go regional airline to get the 500 + hours or what? Also, if I apply with 1500 hours to flex jet with a bachelors what’s the likely hood of them hiring? Thanks everyone!

Gotta do the work, get good at flying little piston airplanes first, then work your way up, there are no real short cuts unless your dad is Richard Branson. Or join the military, where you will get good at flying a single prop airplane first (probably a turboprop) then work your way up. Best part about it is it costs you nothing but a few years of your life.

I know a couple guys flying C-208 Caravans doing aerial photography or sight seeing flights building total time as well as Turbine Time.

Gotta do the work, get good at flying little piston airplanes first, then work your way up, there are no real short cuts unless your dad is Richard Branson. Or join the military, where you will get good at flying a single prop airplane first (probably a turboprop) then work your way up. Best part about it is it costs you nothing but a few years of your life.

That.

And you can do much better than ATP inc

When we visited the Grand Canyon we took a flight tour. Caravan (turbine) and you could tell the pilots were young and presumably building hours. Seemed like a fun gig at age 20-something.

When I come out of school with my CPL I’ll have around 500 hours so I’ve read. If I go CFI and log hours that’s fine but just need to find a way to log turbine time. Would rather not go airlines haha but I get what you’re saying about putting in the work.

Nice. Honestly didn’t know they were considered turbine

All turboprops, singles and twins, are turbine. Caravan, PC12, TBM, etc are single engine turboprops, which is turbine time. King Airs, Cessna Conquest, etc, are examples of twin turboprops, which are turbine.

I know a guy who got a weekend job flying jumpers at the local drop zone in a turbine conversion 210. He flew about 250 turbine hours last year. Granted, he didn't really go anywhere, but it was 8-10 hours a day, every weekend.

What is the big deal about "turbine time"? If you have an ATP or qualify for one, and can fog a mirror, you can get into a regional.

Unless you are in love with the concept of student loan debt, go down to the local FBO and get your private. With a bit of energy, determination, and a friendly disposition, you can probably get a job on the airport doing something useful. You will probably find opportunities to go flying and log time that don't cost you anything. Get your instrument, then commercial, then CFI, then CFII, then multi, then MEI. Instruct. Nothing will teach you like having to teach it. You will make contacts, friends, and opportunity will follow. You can even pick up an associate degree at the local community college. Trust the process.

Back