New Glass Avionics Upgrade

rksmith81

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
rksmith81
Greetings All,
I'm a new private pilot looking to purchase an older aircraft that has existing analog / original 6 pack and outdated avionics on it. I've got approx. $50,000.00 reserved for upgrading the existing avionics system to a new glass panel. Would $50,000.00 be enough?

With some systems that would be enough. With others not even close, depending on what you want to end up with.

Look at a pair of GI-275's, GFC-500 Autopilot, Garmin GI-275 engine monitor, Garmin GNC-255A radio, GTX-375 GPS/Transponder. It can be done for $50-60K or so.

Seriously price out the option of using GTX-375 as your GPS navigator and GNC-255A as your nav/com radio. Garmin has a much cheaper 225 com only radio.

Last edited:
What aircraft model are you looking for? There’s a good chance you could do an IFR Dynon Skyview HDX system in your budget.

Yes, new glass, autopilot, and gps for about 50. (G3X, GFC500, GTN650)

Yes, new glass, autopilot, and gps for about 50. (G3X, GFC500, GTN650)

Installed? What shop?

I have quotes from 3 shops, all with great reputations, for a G3X, PS audio panel, and GFC-500. Right around $52,000 for each. I already have the GTN-650 and GTX-345, and a G5 in the panel.

A GTN-650 will run $20,000 plus installed. And the G5, probably $10,000.

Installed? What shop?

I have quotes from 3 shops, all with great reputations, for a G3X, PS audio panel, and GFC-500. Right around $52,000 for each. I already have the GTN-650 and GTX-345, and a G5 in the panel.

A GTN-650 will run $20,000 plus installed. And the G5, probably $10,000.

I’m installing G3X & GFC500 for $30k, already have G5 but adding AV20S as I wanted a non Garmin AI. But quote is over a year ago, so I assume today it would be more, I suspect $40,000 would the price you’d be quoted. And there’s no taxes here in Florida.

I had dual G5s installed for less than $10,000, but again that’s 4 years ago.

I’m installing G3X & GFC500 for $30k, already have G5 but adding AV20S as I wanted a non Garmin AI. But quote is over a year ago, so I assume today it would be more, I suspect $40,000 would the price you’d be quoted. And there’s no taxes here in Florida.

I had dual G5s installed for less than $10,000, but again that’s 4 years ago.

When you get new quotes, be sitting down.

One of the shops that quoted was in FL.

Installation costs are over $20,000

$50k should get you a GTN 650xi and a G3X. I've heard/read that there is probably a 6 month + lead time to get the parts. Can't tell what to add on top of that to get an appointment to get it installed.

I'm assuming you already have a transponder of some sort as well as at least one working radio and audio panel.

Installed? What shop?

I have quotes from 3 shops, all with great reputations, for a G3X, PS audio panel, and GFC-500. Right around $52,000 for each.

Each? You listed three things - you mean $52,000 for each of the three? $156,000 for all three?

Each? You listed three things - you mean $52,000 for each of the three? $156,000 for all three?
Each quote from 3 shops - two different groups of three.

Each quote was around $52,000. For the same work. Buy and install G3X, GFC-500, and PS Engineering audio panel.

The airplane already has a G5, GTN-650, and GTX-345.

The G3X will replace an Aspen 1000 Pro and some round gauges.

$50k should get you a GTN 650xi and a G3X. I've heard/read that there is probably a 6 month + lead time to get the parts. Can't tell what to add on top of that to get an appointment to get it installed.

I'm assuming you already have a transponder of some sort as well as at least one working radio and audio panel.

The kicker is, if you have a legacy autopilot, the G3X will not drive it. It will only drive a Garmin autopilot.

You can install a G500TXi, and it will drive your legacy autopilot, but it costs twice as much as the G3X, so the end point in AMUs is about the same.

The kicker is, if you have a legacy autopilot, the G3X will not drive it. It will only drive a Garmin autopilot.

You can install a G500TXi, and it will drive your legacy autopilot, but it costs twice as much as the G3X, so the end point in AMUs is about the same.

My G5s can drive my sTec, you need the 29B box, so the G3X definitely can as noted above.
The limitation is you’ll need to keep the source of attitude information for the autopilot, which in my case is the turn coordinator.

Back