New ForeFlight update (V4.6 on 7/20/12)

The extended centerlines are for situational awareness. If you have the ability to instinctively know exactly where the airport and runway alignments are even before you can see them, then that is a unique ability indeed. Most folks have to deduce or estimate prior to visual contact.

I do agree that displaying ALL of the centerlines, as WingX does, may be unnecessary clutter. WingX does let you turn them off, as well as adjust the length of the centerline extensions. Personally, I think that having the centerlines displayed is generally more beneficial than having no option to display them.

The airspace overlays are nice, and are more accuarate than the depicted location of airspace on the sectional.

I see.

WingX doesn't do so well with IFR routing. For example, there is NO support for SIDs and STARs in the route or route planning. If you want to add them, you must look at the chart and add the relevant waypoints manually to the route. You can pull up an approach chart and tap on a depicted waypoint to automatically add it to the route, but this method does not always work reliably, often displaying waypoints for inclusion in the route which are not on the approach plate. WingX does support victor airways, but you can't even enter them into the route until you have defined the entry and exit points or the airway. When you do get them entered, WingX will automatically populate the waypoints on the airway, but unlike ForeFlight, there is no option to show "turns only" along the route.

JKG

Foreflight was almost the way way until the last update. So perhaps WingX will get an update sometime in the future with these features.

I'm going to stick with FF for now though, just because I still have 7 month of subscription left.

It's an extra $75 a year... $150 total subscription cost, instead of the standard $75 for the basic package.

Is it a whole new subscription though? Can I just add this subscription to my current one?

Bug in altitude/winds aloft screen. Note the requested button is set to "VFR" and it's showing IFR altitudes. (It also did the opposite.)

Saw this on two different iPads both going to and coming from OSH.

4.6.1 is out and supposedly fixed a bug for altitudes above FL400 but no mention of this one.

Sent the screenshot to Foreflight via e-mail. There's a bug in the logic of that screen somewhere.

4b94241c-ef81-ed90.jpg

Another bug reported to FF today... Ceiling information not showing up consistently.

Note only one station showing ceiling info in this screenshot. Zooming in to areas east of DEN does nothing to change this. No ceiling info shows up.

Tested on high speed Wifi today to make sure it wasn't just a slow download connection issue while on the road.

4b94241c-f12d-3c46.jpg

Bug in altitude/winds aloft screen. Note the requested button is set to "VFR" and it's showing IFR altitudes. (It also did the opposite.)

4.6.1 is out and supposedly fixed a bug for altitudes above FL400 but no mention of this one.

Sent the screenshot to Foreflight via e-mail. There's a bug in the logic of that screen somewhere.

I saw that and reasoned that it's because there is a possibility for that altitude over the route of flight (<3,000agl). I do not know that to be fact. Perhaps FF should clarify if it is behavior by design.

4b94241c-ef81-ed90.jpg

Answer on this one was, "Let us know if 4.6.1 does not fix the issue." Came back in minutes.

Quick testing seems to show it does, so the bullet that it fixed an issue only "above 40,000 feet" is somewhat misleading. Little marketing spin there.

Grab 4.6.1 if you are going to use the altitude selector thingy. It's actually neat, but looks like it was rushed without proper QA testing. It only took me one XC to run into it.

I saw that and reasoned that it's because there is a possibility for that altitude over the route of flight (<3,000agl). I do not know that to be fact. Perhaps FF should clarify if it is behavior by design.

No, that's not it. That feature works fine. (FF will offer all altitudes below 3000' AGL and then switch to cardinal altitudes above that.)

This was a direct "the buttons are backwards" bug. Something triggered it, I haven't figured out what yet.

Might be if you send the flightplan to "File and Brief" as IFR then look for VFR altitudes after doing that. Haven't tested that theory yet.

Another bug reported to FF today... Ceiling information not showing up consistently.

Note only one station showing ceiling info in this screenshot. Zooming in to areas east of DEN does nothing to change this. No ceiling info shows up.

Tested on high speed Wifi today to make sure it wasn't just a slow download connection issue while on the road.

4b94241c-f12d-3c46.jpg

Answer for this one...

"When conditions are "clear below 12000 ft" ForeFlight Mobile shows no ceiling info and no tag on the map.

Please go to Maps, and select Sky coverage and you will see lots of empty-circles indicating "clear below 12000 ft"."

Didn't know that one.

Frankly I'd just rather see the data. Probably filtering it down to improve performance.

Answer on this one was, "Let us know if 4.6.1 does not fix the issue." Came back in minutes.

Quick testing seems to show it does, so the bullet that it fixed an issue only "above 40,000 feet" is somewhat misleading. Little marketing spin there.

Grab 4.6.1 if you are going to use the altitude selector thingy. It's actually neat, but looks like it was rushed without proper QA testing. It only took me one XC to run into it.

No, it does not fix it, unless it is as I suggested in #47 above. How are you posting screenshots? Must I do it from my PC or do you have an app for that? I already have the screenshot in my pictures.

Looks like you figured it out.

To screenshot in iOS, press the main bottom button and the top right power button simultaneously.

You'll hear a camera sound and the screen will flash.

Screenshot is saved as a photo in the Camera photo gallery App.

Then post however you like. I use Tapatalk to read PoA, and it has an upload feature.

I paid a few bucks to have "unlimited" uploads to their servers which are then automatically hot linked via the IMG tag to whatever message board you're posting to.

Looks like you figured it out.

To screenshot in iOS, press the main bottom button and the top right power button simultaneously.

You'll hear a camera sound and the screen will flash.

Screenshot is saved as a photo in the Camera photo gallery App.

Then post however you like. I use Tapatalk to read PoA, and it has an upload feature.

I paid a few bucks to have "unlimited" uploads to their servers which are then automatically hot linked via the IMG tag to whatever message board you're posting to.
Nope. I had to email it to myself then post it using my PC.

Not seeing the same issue you guys are, and that was before 4.6.1.
<shrug>
Maybe it's your iPad. Have you tried turning off and on again? ;)

ce355705-2bbe-3c11.jpg

ce355705-2d10-41ca.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

See the 4,000 in your screenshot? What's the AGL altitude for the route you entered?

It seems that below 4000' it displays the altitudes in 500' increments when either VFR or IFR is selected. Then above that it flips to the VFR/IFR standard altitudes. On the IFR option it shows me 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500 etc... up to 4000, then 5000, 6000, 7000 etc.

It seems that below 4000' it displays the altitudes in 500' increments when either VFR or IFR is selected. Then above that it flips to the VFR/IFR standard altitudes. On the IFR option it shows me 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500 etc... up to 4000, then 5000, 6000, 7000 etc.

Correct. That's the normal behavior. They're calculating the AIM recommendation that any altitude can be used below 3000' AGL, and then switching to cardinal altitudes above that for the direction and type of flight.

Note that in my screenshot of 4.6.1 the field elevation was below 2000' MSL at the departure end (KLBF) and over 5885' MSL at the arrival end (KAPA), the iPad was set to *VFR Westbound* and it was only showing 6000, 8000, 10000, etc, which are IFR altitudes. That is (was?) the bug I was reporting.

Their response was "let us know if it continues in 4.6.1", so I will if I see it again.

Correct. That's the normal behavior. They're calculating the AIM recommendation that any altitude can be used below 3000' AGL, and then switching to cardinal altitudes above that for the direction and type of flight.
Are you sure they're not calculatng the FAR requirement that says the same thing? ;) :idea:

Are you sure they're not calculatng the FAR requirement that says the same thing? ;) :idea:

;) Heh. Good point. :)

I was just trying to point out that what people were seeing is NOT the bug. The software is trying to be smarter than probably necessary and that led to some complexity in the code which led to... a bug. Go figure. :)

My downloads list showed I needed a new Digital Terminal Procedures Supplemental. Both of the ones shown are expired. As soon as I download the one that has the blue arrow, it installs, then shows itself as expired and enables the download button on the other, older copy! I'm stuck in a loop! Have emailed support. Anybody else encountering this??

This is with 4.6.1

IMAGE_6F898B3F-1163-48E5-9D52-EF6F2CDA6AEF.PNG

Last edited:
I had something like that once. Fix was to delete and reload it. But go with their tech support. They will steer you the right way.

I had something like that once. Fix was to delete and reload it. But go with their tech support. They will steer you the right way.

What is funny is I have been pulling down all my updates..l just did charts recently. Don't know why it didn't pick this up in owe batches.

Check your available space. I had something similar happen once when my iPad was almost full. I closed all the apps and deleted a few things and it worked fine.

Troy, I just downloaded the similar items and no looping issue.

;) Heh. Good point. :)

I was just trying to point out that what people were seeing is NOT the bug. The software is trying to be smarter than probably necessary and that led to some complexity in the code which led to... a bug. Go figure. :)
I worked in-house for a software company during the Y2K scare. My favorite Y2K bug turned out to be a simple coding error on the level of:

Code:
if [date] < 12/31/1999
 do A
else
if [date] > 12/31/1999
 do B
endif

My downloads list showed I needed a new Digital Terminal Procedures Supplemental. Both of the ones shown are expired. As soon as I download the one that has the blue arrow, it installs, then shows itself as expired and enables the download button on the other, older copy! I'm stuck in a loop! Have emailed support. Anybody else encountering this??

This is with 4.6.1

IMAGE_6F898B3F-1163-48E5-9D52-EF6F2CDA6AEF.PNG

Troy, I'm was seeing the same behavior. I have plenty of free space too.
I deleted the expired one, along with some other expired A/FDs, and re-downloaded, and it loaded properly.

Last edited:
I worked in-house for a software company during the Y2K scare. My favorite Y2K bug turned out to be a simple coding error on the level of:

Code:
if [date] < 12/31/1999
 do A
else
if [date] > 12/31/1999
 do B
endif

ROFL. Could have just taken the day off and it'd work the next day! ;)

Going to get in touch with the FF folks this week. I had several occasions where FF crashed as I was flying along. On my last couple of legs yesterday I closed everything and shut the iPad down then powered back on and opened FF only. It crashed three times.

Going to get in touch with the FF folks this week. I had several occasions where FF crashed as I was flying along. On my last couple of legs yesterday I closed everything and shut the iPad down then powered back on and opened FF only. It crashed three times.

They will probably have you sync to iTunes which also copies the crash logs and debug memory dumps into your PC and then have you send those to them via e-mail.

Grant, that was the key. They responded with this, which worked. I wasn't aware of the "Delete Expired Items" option behind the red Delete key.

Thanks for your email. Please try quitting & restarting the app:

1. Exit ForeFlight and go to the main iPhone or iPad home screen
2. Press the button at the bottom of the iPhone/iPad twice in a row. A list of the last apps you've used should slide up at the bottom of the screen, and the top part of the screen will go dark. If they don't slide up - please try double-clicking again until they do.
3. Find the ForeFlight icon on that list at the bottom of the screen. Tap and hold the icon until it starts to wiggle, then tap the - sign in the top-left corner of the icon. This will stop ForeFlight from running in the background.
4. Tap on the top of the screen or click the button at the bottom of the iPhone/iPad to exit.
5. Tap the ForeFlight Mobile icon to re-open the app.
6. Tap "More", "Downloads", "Delete", choose "Delete Expired", then tap the green "Download" button.

Give that a try and let us know if you still aren't able to download the data -- we're happy to help!

Back