New Flier

William Kling

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
WKling808
So I am a high school student and have recently decided to get my PPL. I was first introduced to being a pilot by my Dad, who was a former pilot, but only realized it was really something I could do when my best friend started to get his PPL. I have taken an intro flight and have decided this is something I want to do. I bought my books to start studying last month and have been reading them every spare minute.
I want to go to College to be a Marine Biologist, but also want to continue flying and getting all the ratings I can. I am considering joining the Air Force to help pay for College and to get a steady job to support the high expenses of flying.
Conclusion: I want to know if anyone thinks this is a good or bad plan and why. Any critique would be greatly appreciated!

Only word of advise I can give is get out while you still can, this pursuit will consume your life.

If you continue down this path you will start to notice subtle changes around you... your room will become littered with flying magazines, old sectionals with cover ever inch of your walls. You'll have old flight planner scattered under your desk. You'll arrive 2 hours early to every flight lesson with a handheld radio and binoculars and watch every plane at the airport, typing in every N number into flight aware. You'll run to the window when ever you hear a plane outside. People will think you are crazy. Every flight will be pure nirvana. When you drive down the road and you reach 80mph you murmur under your breath "rotate". The biggest change is your wallet slowly getting thinner. The craziest thing about all of this is you'll look into the mirror and say "This is the greatest decision I've ever made." At that point all is lost.

:thumbsup:

All I can say is pursue your dreams to the best of your ability. And flying is really, really fun!

But I have to point out one thing: "marine biology" and "Air Force" appear to be incompatible goals at first glance. You should look into this before committing to either . . . . But what do I know, my dad was a career Marine . . . .

All I can say is pursue your dreams to the best of your ability. And flying is really, really fun!

But I have to point out one thing: "marine biology" and "Air Force" appear to be incompatible goals at first glance. You should look into this before committing to either . . . . But what do I know, my dad was a career Marine . . . .

Yes, being in the Air Force and being a Marine Biologist are two very different things. I have done a lot of research and summer programs for Marine Biology and have found I do want to do that as a career. The Air Force would be the job that helps me reach the degree that gets me the job.

Yes, being in the Air Force and being a Marine Biologist are two very different things. I have done a lot of research and summer programs for Marine Biology and have found I do want to do that as a career. The Air Force would be the job that helps me reach the degree that gets me the job.

Check the Navy to see if they have a college program that could also provide you with experience in your field while earning the money you want to fly.

Great to see that you have found something you want to do as a career. Heck, I'm 58 and still don't know what I want to do when I grow up....

Your plan sounds good. There may be a few variations along the road of life but keep working towards your goal.!!

Has a photo of the Blues as avatar...

Wants to be a Marine Biologist...

... says he wants to join the Air Force.

(Beat. Head. Here.) LOL.

So I am a high school student and have recently decided to get my PPL.

What you describe is not a plan as much as it is a set of aspirations. Get into the Air Force Academy and do both college and flight training at the same time.

My advice is that regardless of what plan you use to achieve the goal, just DO IT! I waited until later in life to start flying and regret the wait tremendously. Sacrifice everything you have to and work your tail off to make it happen. It will seem like a huge mountain to climb, and in some ways it is, but it's better to chase it now while you're young instead of waiting until college/girls/kids get in the middle of it. Best of luck to you!

What you describe is not a plan as much as it is a set of aspirations. Get into the Air Force Academy and do both college and flight training at the same time.

Does the USAFA have a marine biology program? Doesn't seem like it would.

Has a photo of the Blues as avatar...

Wants to be a Marine Biologist...

... says he wants to join the Air Force.

(Beat. Head. Here.) LOL.

Well at least his user name doesn't have an Army reference. That would even be crazier.

If you have managed to get through life to this point without some doctor giving you an ADHD drug or an antidepressant, avoid anything like that like the plague. Never accept any prescription from any doctor for any reason (other than emergency of course), or any recommendation for "therapy" or "counseling" without knowing how it will affect future medical certification for flying. You can check FAA disqualifying drugs and conditions online and you can ask any questions here or on the AOPA website if you become a member.

Air Force YES. A military career is one of the few relatively secure jobs for young men these days. Get everything you can out of it, stay in it as long as you can. I like citizen5000's link above.

Hold off romantic entanglements as long as possible. They'll drain your finances.

Go for it. If you can afford it and it doesnt get in the way of other things like education whatcha got to lose. I was looking at a C182 a couple of years ago. Oregon State University was selling it. They used it their Marine sciences school. Tracking whale migrations I think. Maybe you can put the two together.

Back