New FAA Student Pilot Rules? WTF?

TSA's doing. They want all the pilot certificates (student or otherwise) routed through Joklahoma city for privacy invasion purposes.

TSA's doing. They want all the pilot certificates (student or otherwise) routed through Joklahoma city for privacy invasion purposes.

All pilot certificates (including Student) have always been routed through OKC. The change of the process on how to issue has been changed in further alignment and no longer issued as part of the medical due to changing medical requirements.

All pilot certificates (including Student) have always been routed through OKC. The change of the process on how to issue has been changed in further alignment and no longer issued as part of the medical due to changing medical requirements.
Unfortunately that's not all it is. Most of the change is TSA/security related. You can almost hear the FAA complaining about having to do it between the lines.

You know the TSA wants complete control,over all airports and pilots. Student pilots are just the start. Try getting a pass into the Maryland three. They only do interviews one day a week,and you need an appointment.

They are also back to proposing 5-year pix-affixed certs for all other categories.
(so, who takes the pix? FedEx as with passports? FSDOs?)
{RealID - compliant?}

I thought the law said FAA already was required to add photos but FAA has successfully dragged its feet on this.

The FAA hasn't "dragged their feet" on this. Congress mandated the change, but keeps failing to provide the funding to make the change.

It has SQUAT to do with medical requirements. It's a TSA grab that wants PRESCREENING of the applicants. Those who don't require medicals have always had the option to get them from the FSDOs on the spot. That too is GONE.

The FAA hasn't "dragged their feet" on this. Congress mandated the change, but keeps failing to provide the funding to make the change.

BULLPOOP. There has not been ANY such CONGRESSIONAL mandate. Besides, the FAA has never given any care to CONGRESSIONAL mandates having roundly IGNORED several of them over the past decades in VIOLATION of their authority and nothing happens.

Nope, this comes from another section of the executive branch and all of the likes and whitewashing disinformation from FAA employees will not change that.

Last edited:
BULLPOOP. There has not been ANY such CONGRESSIONAL mandate. Besides, the FAA has never given any care to CONGRESSIONAL mandates having roundly IGNORED several of them over the past decades in VIOLATION of their authority and nothing happens.

Nope, this comes from another section of the executive branch and all of the likes and whitewashing disinformation from FAA employees will not change that.

photo-2276_zpsjdlyvpdz.gif

:rolleyes2:

Wow, my words have finally come to fruition.

TSA started anally raping foreign student pilots years ago.
I prophesied that they will go after citizen next. Boy oh boy, it feels great to be right once in a while. :) (been married a long time, haven't been right in decades :D )

But the requirement is still on the books, waiting for someone to start waving their arms in front of the news cameras?

People in our FSDO said that FAA got the requirement sidelined because of the complaints of hassles and backlogs that would result processing 5 year renewals.

Doesn't say squat about student certificates (actually it says Pilot License which isn't the proper term anyhow). And here we are 11 years after the deadline and that's yet another thing the FAA has not bothered to follow the clear guidance of the congress.

I thought the law said FAA already was required to add photos but FAA has successfully dragged its feet on this.

--

Speaking of Real ID compliant: MO is one of those States whose driver's licenses don't comply. At the TSA checkpoints in airports, those DLs might not be valid as photo ID unless something changes soon.

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/editorials/article51583270.html
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/f45a...ak-feds-wont-accept-missouri-drivers-licenses

That has been put off until 2018:

http://legalinsurrection.com/2016/01/dhs-delays-travel-deadline-for-real-id-act-until-2018/

http://www.dni.gov/files/documents/IRTPA 2004.pdf

The "INTELLIGENCE REFORM AND TERRORISM PREVENTION ACT OF 2004"

(Section 4022, page 87) says FAA had one year from the passage of the act to begin issuing photo certificates.

I haven't followed up on why that never happened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence_Reform_and_Terrorism_Prevention_Act

Lack of funding was the primary reason.

According to [Docket No.: FAA–2010–1127; Amdt. Nos. 61–135 and 183–15] of yesterday's Federal Register:

"Section 321 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 supersedes section 4022 of the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act..."

This is FAA's explanation out of it: the certificate isn't, and was never intended to be, a form of ID. Unfunded mandate. & cetera.

https://www.faa.gov/about/plans_reports/modernization/media/Sec.321.pdf

...This is FAA's explanation out of it: the certificate isn't, and was never intended to be, a form of ID. Unfunded mandate. & cetera.

https://www.faa.gov/about/plans_reports/modernization/media/Sec.321.pdf

"Based on preliminary analysis, the total costs to all parties involved in this process over 12 years (initial implementation period and 2 renewal cycles) is estimated at approximately $1.125 billion. This includes the travel cost to applicants for application and certificate activation. It also includes the FAA processing costs for issuing a pilot certificate. The FAA must charge cost recovery fees pursuant to Section 122 of Public Law 112-95, which means the applicant would pay most FAA processing costs as a certificate fee. Therefore, the actual out-of-pocket pilot costs would be a significant portion of that total cost. Additionally, to the extent that TSA enrollment centers or FAA designees are used, the pilot likely would pay their processing costs, which are not included in this estimate. As noted above, this estimate does not include costs for infrastructure to take advantage of information contained on improved pilot certificates." [emphasis added]

$1.125 billion divided by 600,000 pilots = $1,875 per pilot. :hairraise:

That number is, ahem, inflated.

It seems to be based upon using PIV badging, including processes used by other Federal agencies. The process is similar to a security clearance. That's wild overkill and the very first thing that will happen is that the airlines will cry foul, and it will be ****canned like it should be. Why the airlines? It's about airport access, not flying a plane, and they will have to issue those to every janitor, plumber, baggage handler, Starbucks barista, and everything else. They are FAR more expensive than current FIPS badges.

So, the sky is not falling. This idea is dead on arrival. It's not going to go anywhere because it's STAHOOPID and really obviously so.

It took NASA four tries and almost a year to transition to PIV badges. And the reason they insisted was computer access. That's not going to be an issue for airmen.

As a data point, I recently moved and obtained new pilot's certificate and California drivers license with my now-current address. The pilot's certificate took 10 minutes and cost $2. The driver's license took 1.5 hours and cost $33. I think I'm happy with the way the FAA does it.

Off topic, buy can you laminate your medical/student pilot cert? Mine is looking sad

Back