New Drone Rules

Palmpilot

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Palm
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-drones-faa-idUSKBN2921R8

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Small drones will be allowed to fly over people and at night in the United States, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) said on Monday, a significant step toward their use for widespread commercial deliveries."

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/12/faa-finally-sets-rules-for-piloting-small-drones/

"After months of uncertainty, corporations and hobbyists alike finally have a set of drone guidelines from the Federal Aviation Administration. The final rules are a step back from some proposed restrictions, as they will allow flights over crowds and some nighttime operations. But all drones weighing over 0.25kg (0.55lb) will need to have a unique Remote ID, as will smaller drones that are flown over crowds."

I saw that a couple of days ago. What happens to existing drones? Many of the consumer DJI drones weigh more than 0.25 kg, for example. How do they get the remote ID?

RID is awful. Still needs to be opposed. It's ALL about drones playing where airplanes and helicopters will be displaced... and it's stupid. It's also terrible for the model airplane hobbyists.

Small drones will be allowed to fly over people and at night in the United States,

Should not have been passed without a companion law permitting 'shoot on sight', for those causing loss of privacy or posing a physical risk.

RID is awful. Still needs to be opposed. It's ALL about drones playing where airplanes and helicopters will be displaced... and it's stupid. It's also terrible for the model airplane hobbyists.

A poor analogy is the road system. Until the widespread use of the automobile, roads were for everyone - walkers, people on horses, horse drawn wagons and the like.

Try walking in the road today. You might get ticketed for jaywalking. Or try riding your horse there (hello, deathwish). Cars have elbowed everyone out of that space and we have to build special places for pedestrians, bikes, and the lot.

Give it a few years and the drones may elbow GA airplanes out of the airspace.

I saw that a couple of days ago. What happens to existing drones? Many of the consumer DJI drones weigh more than 0.25 kg, for example. How do they get the remote ID?
It can be a module attached to the drone.

should not have been passed without a companion law permitting 'shoot on sight',
I think the Remote ID requirement was the compromise on the shoot on sight paragraph. Now we just need a way to hack the Remote ID info and see who is flying it.;)

can we erect netting?

It can be a module attached to the drone.
It could- the question is whether someone will sell one. It wouldn't surprise me if the manufacturers said "you need to buy a new one". If they do, I suppose that's a business opportunity for someone else.

It's also terrible for the model airplane hobbyists.
That's the understatement of the year. The average kid is now **** out of luck.

Of course, with the remote ID system, if you have a mid-air collision with a model aircraft, the police would have known who to blame if they had bought the equipment to monitor RC activity. Huge safety improvement.

DJI got caught up in the fad of our govt listing Chinese companies they don’t like — as if they were Huawei, recently.

Haven’t seen any changes in how or where they’ll be selling drones yet. I suppose it bans them from some national security and public safety contracts... haven’t dug into it yet.

Figured it’s just someone’s political game to help their buddy sell more of theirs. Haven’t seen any news where DJI was being naughty in any way. They seem happy with... m o n e y.

LOL. Who knows.

Damn drone got in the way of my sporting clays...

"Damn thing sped in from nowhere. I might have heard it if I wasn't wearing hearing protection."

"You want a slice of this pizza?"

DJI got caught up in the fad of our govt listing Chinese companies they don’t like — as if they were Huawei, recently.

Haven’t seen any changes in how or where they’ll be selling drones yet. I suppose it bans them from some national security and public safety contracts... haven’t dug into it yet.

Figured it’s just someone’s political game to help their buddy sell more of theirs. Haven’t seen any news where DJI was being naughty in any way. They seem happy with... m o n e y.

LOL. Who knows.
It doesn't mean anything, anymore then the TicTok /WeChat "ban".

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...mpany-dji-to-economic-blacklist-idUSKBN28S24I
Separately, U.S. lawmakers this month opted not to ban the purchase of Chinese drone technology by U.S. agencies as part of an annual defense bill.
All it means is they their access to some technology is restricted:
https://www.commerce.gov/news/press...c-entity-list-restricting-access-key-enabling

Should not have been passed without a companion law permitting 'shoot on sight', for those causing loss of privacy or posing a physical risk.
Starting to sound like the guy who lives next to our airport... except he's talking about planes instead of drones.

It's worth destroying RC airplanes as a hobby for kids in order to get those "drone people".

It's worth destroying RC airplanes as a hobby for kids in order to get those "drone people".
Except it won't. What's going to stop a rogue droner flying at 5000' from also disabling RID??? This literally only affects the "good guys" not anyone that is already willing to hack / modify / disable components of their drone. SMH

I just don't get who are these people who believe that drones are going to be delivering packages? I don't think they have thought this through.

Except it won't. What's going to stop a rogue droner flying at 5000' from also disabling RID??? This literally only affects the "good guys" not anyone that is already willing to hack / modify / disable components of their drone. SMH

nah - the good guys are not the only people who will comply...

nah - the good guys are not the only people who will comply...
Most of the DJI drones, for instance, have hard locks in place and you can't "just" fly them where you aren't supposed to. Don't believe me, get in your plane and come visit me here in DFW. Most of the "rogue" users KNOW what they are doing and have gone to efforts to do so.

Most of the DJI drones, for instance, have hard locks in place and you can't "just" fly them where you aren't supposed to. Don't believe me, get in your plane and come visit me here in DFW. Most of the "rogue" users KNOW what they are doing and have gone to efforts to do so.

I was actually agreeing with you (the green font was intended to indicate sarcasm... directed at the people who think rules will be followed by the bad guys)

I just don't get who are these people who believe that drones are going to be delivering packages? I don't think they have thought this through.
Yesterday I got three separate packages from Amazon that could have been delivered by drone. The capital cost of drones is likely on par with delivery trucks, and the labor and other variable costs would be a fraction.

UPS is already doing it.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/services/shipping-services/flight-forward-drones.page

The way the proposed rule was written (as of a number of months ago) was that there were (3) possible scenarios:
A. Buy a new drone that has full RID, with a down link from the drone back to the transmitter a.k.a. “controller”, with GPS, which in turn is linked to an internet site via cell service. Said drone will not lift off unless it gets permission via the website (checking for airspace, TFRs, etc.) The drone has a unique id that must be registered somehow, traceable to the owner in order to be operable. The RID device is factory embedded, and tamper resistant i.e you can’t add it on, ruling out building your own.
B. Buy a new drone with 400 ft. radius limitation (in any direction) from the transmitter. May include some form of tracking of the transmitter via cell (not sure about the details of this one).
C. Fly existing and home-built models at a ‘FRIA’ (FAA Recognized Identification Area) - typically an RC club flying field. All FRIAs have to be registered within 12 months of the rule taking effect, and no more can EVER be added after that date. Note that typical RC fields tend to come and go as ownership of property changes, etc. All FRIAs have to be registered as part of a community organization (yet to be defined) - so the guy who owns 20 acres and flys in his own field would not qualify. A kid flying a little electric foamy in a park that he/she built would be violating the law!

IMHO, this doesn’t make things any safer. It just provides a way to possibly track down stupid drone pilots.

IMHO, this doesn’t make things any safer. It just provides a way to possibly track down stupid drone pilots.
And if they cover their tracks properly, or worse yet, figure out how to "look" like they are somebody else, that won't be happening, and even "good guys" might get falsely implicated.

Most of the DJI drones, for instance, have hard locks in place and you can't "just" fly them where you aren't supposed to.
And the tens of thousands of existing RC aircraft do not. Of course, they also have not been a "problem" for the past 70 years, but never mind that.

Yesterday I got three separate packages from Amazon that could have been delivered by drone. The capital cost of drones is likely on par with delivery trucks, and the labor and other variable costs would be a fraction.

UPS is already doing it.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/services/shipping-services/flight-forward-drones.page
I wonder if they have a plan for how to verify that the customer has a safe place to receive a drone delivery.

Or maybe they're just planning to rely on customers to figure that out for themselves. :hairraise:

And the tens of thousands of existing RC aircraft do not. Of course, they also have not been a "problem" for the past 70 years, but never mind that.
Yeah.
I wonder if they have a plan for how to verify that the customer has a safe place to receive a drone delivery.

Or maybe they're just planning to rely on customers to figure that out for themselves. :hairraise:
There are a LOT of questions I'd like to know on this. Also, GPS jamming's gonna become big biz for thieves. Boom, GPS jammed, confused drone maybe loses it's way?

GPS jamming might also be used to deal with the drones from pesky neighbors...

Trivial. Human drivers check a box in their app every time they deliver a package. Just add a check box for "drone compatible."

Trivial. Human drivers check a box in their app every time they deliver a package. Just add a check box for "drone compatible."
If they set it up that way, that could eliminate places that don't have a suitable landing area, but it would also eliminate a lot of places where the suitable landing area is not visible to the driver.

I'm not saying that UPS can't work out a plan; I'm just wondering whether they HAVE worked out a plan, and if so, I'm curious about the details. It might not be feasible at many apartment buildings, for example, especially urban high-rises.

Back