New Drone Rules

If they set it up that way, that could eliminate places that don't have a suitable landing area, but it would also eliminate a lot of places where the suitable landing area is not visible to the driver.

I'm not saying that UPS can't work out a plan; I'm just wondering whether they HAVE worked out a plan, and if so, I'm curious about the details. It might not be feasible at many apartment buildings, for example, especially urban high-rises.
Drones wouldn't be more efficient for locations like that. You can load up a van with packages for dense areas like apartment buildings and city centers. For less dense and rural areas, where most of the effort is just getting from stop to stop, drones would work much better.

Yes, but how does the first drone know where to land while delivering it?

:D

That’s easy. Customer uses map with satellite (which can turn into coordinates) to identify preferred LZ on the property. That’s stored in your customer profile. Upon arriving drone identifies the landing pad (or simply the general area) through camera that recognizes it. You could get a text notifying you that drone is minutes away. Dump and go.

From what I gather, initial use of delivery drones will be truck-based, where the drone(s) are launched from the vehicle, completing the last 100 yards of delivery.

From what I gather, initial use of delivery drones will be truck-based, where the drone(s) are launched from the vehicle, completing the last 100 yards of delivery.
Yeah, that's the only way it makes much sense, and that gives the drones the opportunity to recharge after each flight off the truck's generator. There's no way any current drone could work all day off of "current" batteries...

I see very little logic in using drones for delivery...8 out of 10 times, packages are delivered to the wrong address...I have to point the driver to the correct address...google maps are incorrect in my neighborhood after I tried several times to get them corrected. If the driver is within 100 yards..why not complete the delivery in person .

I see very little logic in using drones for delivery...8 out of 10 times, packages are delivered to the wrong address...I have to point the driver to the correct address...google maps are incorrect in my neighborhood after I tried several times to get them corrected. If the driver is within 100 yards..why not complete the delivery in person .
Save time and accurate delivery location. The time the driver would be going from truck to doorstep can be used to find and launch next package. In some places it might not save a bunch of time if the drop off is only steps from the street, but in others it prevents the truck from having to drive down a driveway, double park, etc. also, the address is geotagged to a physical spot, so the item cannot be misdelivered if the spot is verified.

yeah, especially if there are 10 drones on the same truck... Make one stop, every house on the block, or a certain radius has delivery at the same time.

Generator? Maybe in the beginning. Soon they will have electric delivery vehicles. The drones will just charge their batteries from the package car batteries. Then the package car will be Level 5 autonomous. There may still be a delivery person onboard initially to supervise and move packages to the drones.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Autonomously driven trucks delivering Amazon Prime Chia Pets with drones. Yea right. Is all of this glorious new technology gonna work better than our spellcheckers?

Yes, but how does the first drone know where to land while delivering it?

:D
I'd imagine Amazon could just add a feature to their phone app that has the user stand in exactly the spot they want the package delivered. Phone geotags the coordinates and done. Only caveats may be having to choose locations that are a certain distance from obstructions and a clear vehicle path (no locations under trees, etc.

This sounds like a ripe opportunity for the drone jammin' software guys to practice (and sell) their diversion tactics on the drones to see how many of their neighbors deliveries they can acquire before someone figures it out ...

This sounds like a ripe opportunity for the drone jammin' software guys to practice (and sell) their diversion tactics on the drones to see how many of their neighbors deliveries they can acquire before someone figures it out ...

spoofing is more challenging than jamming

Back