New cylinders

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
brand new Superior cylinders, should they be painted prior to installation?

Heard yes, and I've heard no.

Which do you believe?

Nope, unless you want them to run hotter than they already will when breaking in ;-)

who is paying?....and how much? ;)

will someone pay more or less for the painted ones?

Attachments

• ECFBB871-9174-4CA7-B9EF-CD5E5DC6F3B4.jpg
    ECFBB871-9174-4CA7-B9EF-CD5E5DC6F3B4.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 49
  • 62DA75CF-CF18-42CE-8330-F7FEC77F7307.jpg
    62DA75CF-CF18-42CE-8330-F7FEC77F7307.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 49
brand new Superior cylinders, should they be painted prior to installation?

Heard yes, and I've heard no.

Which do you believe?
Superior prides themselves on their castings looking so good they don't need paint. I was in their facility last week and I agree, their cylinders look great on the bench. Run them awhile and they collect dust and grime and they aren't as pretty, but they look as good as any painted cylinders. Lycoming paints their cylinders so I don't think it makes any difference other than cosmetic. But some guys pay Lycoming $2k extra to polish the fins on painted cylinders. Its all about what matters to the guy writing the check. Me? I'm ordering a new Lycoming today and it'll have standard Lycoming gray painted cylinders.

Last edited:
I wish new Lycoming cylinders were available unpainted.

I wish new Lycoming cylinders were available unpainted.
Superior cylinders are alodine treated for corrosion lycoming are not, Hence the need for paint, polished fins are a PIA just like polished motorcycle parts lots of elbow grease to keep looking good.

Last edited:
they go un-painted.

Attachments

• ZA30QH96Sy6aImPxiL194A.jpg
    ZA30QH96Sy6aImPxiL194A.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 54
The steel barrels are painted fins are alodined usually alodine has light gold or yellow tint
There is a type of Alodine that leaves no stain.

Might be a good question for Superior. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• RxB2BAmHTMm+9GmjbLDzvA.jpg
    RxB2BAmHTMm+9GmjbLDzvA.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 47
  • 4HmmnHz7TJegHWURDgP6GQ.jpg
    4HmmnHz7TJegHWURDgP6GQ.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 46
  • MITcUaibQkms4DOHEppfBQ.jpg
    MITcUaibQkms4DOHEppfBQ.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 1fedvSBkQaqTuCjEAIpyRw.jpg
    1fedvSBkQaqTuCjEAIpyRw.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 44
There is a type of Alodine that leaves no stain.
As I recall from chem class several decades ago, the yellow alodine gets its color from a chromate solution, while the clear uses something other than chrome to passivate the metal underneath. The chromate seals better but is environmentally horrible.

Jim

As I recall from chem class several decades ago, the yellow alodine gets its color from a chromate solution, while the clear uses something other than chrome to passivate the metal underneath. The chromate seals better but is environmentally horrible.

Jim
According to the link I posted earlier....
Alodine® 1500, is also a registered trademark of Henkel Surface Technologies
and is a chemical treatment process for aluminum used to provide corrosion protection
and as a surface preparation for paint and adhesives. Sometimes called “aluminum
passivation,” it contains hexavalent chromium and is intended to provide corrosion
prevention even when left unpainted.

Back