New Cessna 182 pricing?

genna

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
ТУ-104
Does anyone know what is a new Avgas Cessna 182 starting price?

Their website asks to call salesman and I'm just curious

Does anyone know what is a new Avgas Cessna 182 starting price?

Their website asks to call salesman and I'm just curious

I don't think they don't build avgas 182s anymore.

I don't think they don't build avgas 182s anymore.

They restarted. Diesel is on hold again.

I'm trying to compare JT-A($515,000) and Avgas($?) versions for a non-aviation friend.

Contact Laura Howell @ Van Bortel in Arlington.

Van Bortel is one of the larger Cessna dealers in my area and she's one of the good eggs over there.

Contact Laura Howell @ Van Bortel in Arlington.

Van Bortel is one of the larger Cessna dealers in my area and she's one of the good eggs over there.

If rather not waste everyone's time with this. It's not that important:). (You people don't count obviously :D)

Why on earth would anyone buy a new 182?

Almost as silly as paying more for a new 206 vs. a decked out 550ed U206.

They restarted. Diesel is on hold again.

I'm trying to compare JT-A($515,000) and Avgas($?) versions for a non-aviation friend.

If you want to burn JET-A

Why not just get a turbine converted FIKI pressurized C210 for less money :dunno:

http://www.controller.com/listingsd...GLE/1980-CESSNA-P210-SILVER-EAGLE/1174337.htm

Here's on with onboard radar too

image.jpg

http://www.controller.com/listingsd...GLE/1982-CESSNA-P210-SILVER-EAGLE/1354139.htm

Last edited:
You can buy a lot of gas for the difference between the price of the diesel 182 and the gas model. The difference starts at around 60 k depending on options. The diesel model hasn't been a big seller yet.

Look, guys.. No reason to start any arguments here. Nobody is buying anything. New, used, jet, diesel, avgas, twin, single, chute or not. NOTHING. I just wanted a price comparison between AVGAS and JT-A C182. That's all.

I know it's asking a lot, but please keep your airplane suggestions to yourselves! :)

Why would you spend that kind of money on a 182 when you could just borrow Byron's SR-22?

A fair number of people like new planes. Especially if they can depreciate them. It is their money and their choice. If no one bought new planes there wouldn't be any used ones on the market.

You should have your friend look at a Bonanza.

Or, one of the King Air-90's.

A fair number of people like new planes. Especially if they can depreciate them. It is their money and their choice. If no one bought new planes there wouldn't be any used ones on the market.

Exactly. Hats off to the people that have pre-ordered Icons. They are facilitating my ten grand purchase in five years.

Hey, it makes perfect sense.....when you consider Beechcraft wants a cool $Million for a new Baron!

It's amazing that people even buy new Barons. How many did they sell last year? 5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When even a 172 costs hundreds of thousands of dollars when new, is it any mystery that general aviation is shrinking?

Not to bring up the cole slaw eating, parachute pulling, amateur Cirrus pilots, bit those are going for $750k plus, think I saw one for $900k something.

Let's see... Baron, or Lancair Evolution.... I'm going with the Evo!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Price a new Pitts S-2C... I am sure they are way over $400,000 now for a tube and fabric biplane :-(
Greedy people are killing aviation.

I have seen new Huskies coming out of the same factory ( Aviat) in Afton Wy with full glass panels and the sticker in the window was 340,000.00:yikes::hairraise:

WHY IN THE WORLD would you buy a new 182? Dumb dumb dumb. Just buy a 1960s Mooney C.

Price a new Pitts S-2C... I am sure they are way over $400,000 now for a tube and fabric biplane :-(
Greedy people are killing aviation.
I don't think it has anything to do with greed. Think of the cost it takes to run a company, all the labor involved in building a plane, the cost of salaries, labor and health care nowadays, and the fact that with only a couple orders you can't get economies of scale. Put aside the cost of the parts, overhead, factory, etc. Let's say you have 50 employees (office staff, management, factory workers, all the miscellaneous stuff, etc.) at an average cost of 100k including all bennies, employment taxes, etc. That's $5 mil right there, before you even get to the cost of parts, land, machinery, equipment, buildings, insurance, taxes, and all other overhead. You sell a total of 10 planes a year. How are you going to price them at $50k and make a profit? Answer: you don't.

On top of all of that, you have supply and demand considerations. There's very little demand for new propeller GA planes (with a glut of used planes on the market, the demand curve is very inelastic), and the supply curve is very expensive and also very inelastic, resulting in a very high equilibrium price at a very low quantity.

So how do you decrease the cost of new planes? A LOT more demand, resulting in increasing economies of scales and and increase in supply. But with a decreasing pilot population, less disposable income, etc. and all the used planes on the market, it's NEVER going to happen. So get used to it.

Last edited:
If the price was lowered significantly, would the volumes increase enough to make up (or exceed) the difference? Maybe someone needs to try what Redbird did with the $0.99/gal avgas..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the price was lowered significantly, would the volumes increase enough to make up (or exceed) the difference?

IMHO, not with a 182. Here's why:

You can buy a run out 182 for $45K, add a glass cockpit for $60K, a new engine for $60K, new paint for $20K, new interior for $10K, and have a virtually new Skylane for <$200K.

Is Cessna gonna beat that price? Nope.

Now, let's say it's worth an extra $100K for you to have a "real" brand, new zero-time airplane. Now we are at $300K. Is Cessna gonna beat that price?

Again, nope. That would be a $200K price reduction on a $500K airplane.

Bottom line: You'd have to be that rare combination of "stupid" and "wealthy" to buy a brand, new Skylane -- and I'm sure Cessna knows this. The only real question is: How long until Cessna shuts down the assembly line?

You can buy a run out 182 for $45K, add a glass cockpit for $60K, a new engine for $60K, new paint for $20K, new interior for $10K, and have a virtually new Skylane for <$200K.

Now, let's say it's worth an extra $100K for you to have a "real" brand, new zero-time airplane. Now we are at $300K. Is Cessna gonna beat that price?

Bottom line: You'd have to be that rare combination of "stupid" and "wealthy" to buy a brand, new Skylane -- and I'm sure Cessna knows this. The only real question is: How long until Cessna shuts down the assembly line?

Its not just a Cessna problem. It all who build single engine piston aircraft.

I've been saying if for years that there are too many airplane manufacturers. Too many manufacturer + low sales volume of each = constant in&out of bankruptcy and very high costs per plane delivered.

The reality is:

You can only do so much with

160 horse
180 horse
200 horse
260 horse
300 horse

There is no way 50 different companies can build and support a certified airplane that has a 180 horse engine, or a 300 horse engine. Too many airplanes are basically the same in terms of performance despite being manufactured by different companies.

Its all relative. For a FEW people 500k one way or the other isnt a big issue. They want a new plane, they buy a new plane. Its nice, like new car. Smells nice. No one else has used it. They have the money, they pay for it. You dont, so you dont. But you arent them are you?

A corporation isn't typically going to spend the time and effort to find a no corrosion plane and then refurbish it. Also, there are tax advantages for buying new, when the plane is primarily used for business.

The recently signed "Tax Increase Prevention Act" extends 50 percent bonus depreciation through tax year 2014. In some instances it extends bonus depreciation through 2015 for purchases of new aircraft as well as new equipment purchased and installed in used aircraft. In order for new aircraft and equipment to qualify for bonus depreciation, they must be original or first-use aircraft (or equipment), used primarily for business purposes, and must also meet existing tests necessary to qualify for accelerated depreciation under MACRS (modified accelerated cost recovery system). Bonus depreciation may also be available for aircraft delivered in 2015 subject to binding contracts entered into between January 1, 2008 and December 31, 2014. In order to qualify for bonus depreciation, the contracts must: (1) be in writing; (2) be binding under state law against the buyer; and (3) must not include any liquidated damage clause (a provision that sets an amount of damage for contract breach) that amounts to less than 5 percent of the aircraft or equipment sales price. If the aircraft is to be used in Part 91 (non-commercial operations), additional requirements must be met including: (1) the contract must provide for a non-refundable deposit that is greater than the lesser of $100,000 or 10 percent of the aircraft price; the aircraft must cost more than $200,000; and (3) the aircraft's production period exceeds 4 months.

So, how and why did this thread degenerated into what one should and shouldn't buy?

Nearly 40 replies and not a single answer to a question I asked.

I guess I should have expected that.

Back