New Cessna 182 pricing?

IMHO, not with a 182. Here's why:

You can buy a run out 182 for $45K, add a glass cockpit for $60K, a new engine for $60K, new paint for $20K, new interior for $10K, and have a virtually new Skylane for <$200K.

Is Cessna gonna beat that price? Nope.

Now, let's say it's worth an extra $100K for you to have a "real" brand, new zero-time airplane. Now we are at $300K. Is Cessna gonna beat that price?

Again, nope. That would be a $200K price reduction on a $500K airplane.

Bottom line: You'd have to be that rare combination of "stupid" and "wealthy" to buy a brand, new Skylane -- and I'm sure Cessna knows this. The only real question is: How long until Cessna shuts down the assembly line?

How realistic are these prices? I ask because an "opportunity" has presented itself for a 1967 model, all original equip. My quick run of the numbers says to run away, but I'm wondering if I can get 2 years of VFR flying out of it, then do something different.

WHY IN THE WORLD would you buy a new 182? Dumb dumb dumb. Just buy a 1960s Mooney C.

Hmmmm...I bought a new 172SP ...flew it for 300 hours...sold it for 5K less than I paid for it...

I bought a brand new 182T..flew it for 880 hours +/- a few...sold it for 30K less than I bought it...

So for 35K and the opportunity cost of some money, I have almost 1200 hours in glass aircraft...I bought them because I wanted to fly a new aircraft...I wanted dispatch reliability...and I achieved both...

Oh..and I sold them both within a week of listing them...both seamless deals...

Dumb Dumb Dumb...:wink2::D

Last edited:
So, how and why did this thread degenerated into what one should and shouldn't buy?

Nearly 40 replies and not a single answer to a question I asked.

I guess I should have expected that.

Call the local Cessna dealer...you will get a price in a flash...
or look here...jiminy crickets...

So, how and why did this thread degenerated into what one should and shouldn't buy?

Nearly 40 replies and not a single answer to a question I asked.

I guess I should have expected that.

$500,000... How in the hell did you miss that?

$500,000... How in the hell did you miss that?

"Showing around $500k in tradeaplane " does not sound like a definitive answer, but a guess from a classified side that has no new pricing on 182.

When CAP stops buying. Not kidding. They're the largest T182T customer.

There is more truth to that statement....

CAP purchases alone have propped up Cessna sales for several years....

After all,, it ain't their money...:mad2::mad2:...

Now.. All you hard working conservatives, get back to earning money so you can write the guvmint a check next quarter...:redface:

I would also imagine in addition to CAP, there is also a lot of law enforcement, government, and educational institutions that buy new planes. I was told by the Cessna rep that (IIRC) Embry-Riddle is one of their largest customers.

I'm sure with all the planes Sporty's [supposedly] gives away, they're up there too :)

The economies of scale are sad when it comes to new planes. The only cost they don't have is the tooling costs since they haven't changed a darn thing in 50 years on these planes. The FAA doesn't help matters either. I was told by both the HondaJet rep and the Epic rep that it takes tens of millions of dollars to certify a plane... and then there are full-time FAA agents onsite constantly auditing the factory. When I toured Piper in Vero Beach, it was almost sad to see how these guys talked about how big things used to be. They run a first-class operation, but I could tell the volume was way down. Sad.

There is more truth to that statement....

CAP purchases alone have propped up Cessna sales for several years....

After all,, it ain't their money...:mad2::mad2:...

Now.. All you hard working conservatives, get back to earning money so you can write the guvmint a check next quarter...:redface:

Really it's not an awful aircraft for their mission, but it is too heavy for three standard males and full fuel.

The real waste of money was the non-turbo GA-8 to carry a specific piece of hardware that was outdated before it even flew.

Bought the airframe around the gear, for someone's wet dream of how useful it would be.

I would also imagine in addition to CAP, there is also a lot of law enforcement, government, and educational institutions that buy new planes. I was told by the Cessna rep that (IIRC) Embry-Riddle is one of their largest customers.

I'm sure with all the planes Sporty's [supposedly] gives away, they're up there too :)

The schools do buy some. UND helped keep Piper on life support too.

Sporty's only gives away a plane a year though, AFAIK. Not even a drop in the bucket.

The real and slowly worsening crisis is the lack of retracts in trainer sizes for Commercial ticket candidates. Nobody is making them. And they get wrecked with gear up's in the training environment with slow destructive continuous clockwork.

The R-182 I flew many years ago at one of the local clubs had the nose gear collapse at the end of an FAA checkride recently. Wasn't anyone I knew that had flown it that hadn't had a gear problem in it eventually over time.

The photo from the freshly minted CFI (he passed. It collapsed while taxiing in...) was pretty funny. "How I ended my CFI checkride..." with the venerable old bird with her butt in the air and nose on the ground.

Of course we also have a newish private pilot who also passed his checkride when the prop departed his LSA with the DPE on board. All PTS items were complete so the DPE shook his hand and said "congratulations" after he landed it in a field. Heh.

So it can happen to anyone. Nice if it happens after all the PTS requirements are already completed. LOL.

Retracts just get their butts kicked anytime they're on a rental line. The schools beat the crap out of them until they break and then see if they can put Humpty Dumpty back on the wall for some more abuse.

It's one of the things as an older guy thinking about doing the rating "for fun" that really turns me off -- flying a claptrap retract that's had the holy hell kicked out of it for more than three decades.

Why on earth would anyone buy a new 182?

Almost as silly as paying more for a new 206 vs. a decked out 550ed U206.

Believe it or not, there are people who make decisions from perspective other than yours and they live quite fine lives....

The depreciation rules don't fit your perspective, for one.

If I told my corporate clients to buy a refurbished plane, they'd fire me, and be justified in doing so.

I do work for a new homebuilder here in Houston who also does work in a nearby growing town. A new 182 might make sense for him. Your modified 206? No sense at all.

Last edited:
Back