New Certified Private Pilot

EppyGA

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Let's Fly
In 2015 EAA 690 launched a Youth Build Program designed to give youth an opportunity to work on aircraft projects and learn about airplanes and aviation as well as how to use tools and construction techniques.

In May of 2016 a young man by the name of Jeremy Welch began attending our build program. Jeremy had a goal of becoming a pilot and he set out a plan to do just that. His first goal was to solo on his 16th birthday. He missed that one by only two days and soloed on April 1st, 2017, the morning of our chapter pancake breakfast.

Over the next year Jeremy methodically checked off his intermediate goals along the way to his scheduled check ride date of March 30th, 2018, Jeremy's 17th birthday.

I am proud to say that Jeremy has achieved that goal and is the chapter's first Certificated Private Pilot to come out of our build program. We do want to thank the AeroVentures Flying Club for giving us the opportunity to rent their Cessna 150 for our youth and special thanks to John Post, Fred Huppertz and other CFIs in the club for donating their time and effort to help Jeremy achieve his goal.

The first picture is Jeremy with his parents and John Post after his solo. The second picture is Jeremy along with his DPE after his successful check ride.

Jeremy Welch Solo 1.jpg IMG_0044.jpeg

Last edited:
Many levels of awesome in this story.

Well done to Jeremy and well done to you and your program.

A big congrats to Jeremy and all involved.

Congrats to him! You are and continue to be a great ambassador for GA!

Wow this is so cool, I wish I would have stuck with it when I was that age. CONGRATS to him!!!

I had to return to the thread to have a poke at the grumps.

“Kids these days are only interested in video games.”

Pffffffft! :) :) :)

Congratulations to Jeremy!
Wonderful achievement, and thank you for posting the story.
Look forward to hearing about more of the build program participants achievements!

For those interested to see some pictures and such you can go to youth.eaa690.net Lots of pictures there. It is fun to watch the youth suck up knowledge, learn to operate and work with tools. I have found out that not everyone cna do that. I was working with one young man last week with the Dremel tool. We were trimming up a piece of aluminum angle for the aft fuselage of the BD-6 and he just could not get the hang of it. He managed to break two cut-off blades and that is hard to do.

Great story and awesome that your EAA chapter is out there making a difference in aviation for the next generation.

Back