New cat story - for cat lovers

saddletramp

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
saddletramp
My wife & I are empty nesters. When we met 10 years ago my wife had a one year old cat. The cat has many bad habits from having the run of the place & we both desired a second cat.

A few weeks ago we were in Petsmart getting something for her old cat & they had kittens from the local humane society for sale. After looking at them we decided we'd rather rescue a cat. My wife made the comment that a needy cat would come our way eventually.

Last Thursday after work, I was the last one out of our building. When I went out to climb into my company issued Explorer I heard a "meow" from underneath my car. It was a cold, rainy evening. I looked & saw the silhouette of a small cat. When I called the typical "kitty kitty" out came a little grey tabby cat. It was very cold & snuggled right in. I put the cat in my car turned the heater on & called my wife. Of course she recommended me bringing the critter home.

The cat didn't mind the car at all. I stopped at a mini-mart & bought a small can of tuna fish. She was very hungry. After she had most of the the tuna fish she climbed around the car & got on the floor under my feet & went asleep.

We've had her a week now & my wife took her to the vet yesterday for a check-up & to schedule surgery for sterilization. The vet gave her a couple of shots & gave her a clean bill of health.

She has turned out be be a wonderful 7 month old cat. Cat box trained, mild-mannered, & very quiet. Bringing her into our house has been so easy. Even our old cat tolerates her.

Yup, the cat found us.
23244505_1844135012281987_4734067632320269755_n.jpg

Last edited:
They always seem to find us. Nice story, lucky cat to have found such a caring home.

We have two rescues and one we purchased, along with an American mastiff.

Great Story! Both my cats found me at the salvage yard. A gray one that followed me everywhere that became “Shadow”, and a black one that became “Mischief” because she got into trouble throughout the house.

Have a similar story, we have three cats and love them all. Oh, we have three birds too.

My cat said she doesn't like you any more and has you marked to be banned from owning a cat. :)

Tell your cat I have nothing against your cat personally. I just prefer dogs more.

My cat jumped out of my lap when she read that and is now hiding under the couch.

Tell that cat to c'mon out, I'm not mean to cats at all. My daughter has one and I'm nice to it when we go over there.

Tell that cat to c'mon out, I'm not mean to cats at all. My daughter has one and I'm nice to it when we go over there.
I am not sure it was what you said. I think she reacted to your Avitar.

Congratulations to the new addition to your family! She is a cutie!

IMG_20150620_124047.jpg We go ours from a rescue place through Petsmart.

It had lived its whole life in a cage and didn't even know how to navigate stairs. That was 9 years ago.

Last edited:
This poor thing found me at our old storage building. He kept going into the storage area with me and going to sleep. I guessed he did it with other people and someone would lock him in and he would die.
P1010250.JPG
He turned into this.
20141015_055911.jpg

Best cat ever

Our first cat chose us. She showed up on day on the back porch. A pretty orange, black and white calico. I told my wife to leave her alone and she will go away. I also told her not to feed her. Of course I would watch from the window as my wife would feed her on the back porch.

After a few days it started raining. There was a plastic box on the back porch. The cat got in it to get out of the rain. She just stayed there, looking up at the window in the back door. I finally let my wife get some cat food and feed her. She would follow us around in the yard.

A few days later we let her in the laundry room at night because of the temperatures outside. She did not like being locked in a small room, so we let her into the house. Within minutes she found a warm, safe place and was sound asleep. The next morning we found her curled up over a heating vent.

She has been with us 7 years now. She weighed 1/2 pound when she showed up. She had already been fixed when we got her, so I am thinking she might have left a house where she was not treated well. For the first couple of years when I would try to pet her on her head she would shy away.

Now she follows me like a dog. At night I will find her and ask her if she is ready to go to bed. She doesn't respond at first, but a few minutes later she will follow me into the bedroom. She gets playful then and likes to attack my feet as I walk, and we play for a while. But when I get into bed she will jump up and eventually she will lay down on my chest, until I chase her off and turn off the light.

The second cat showed up with my mom, along with her hog dog.

Now she follows me like a dog. At night I will find her and ask her if she is ready to go to bed. She doesn't respond at first, but a few minutes later she will follow me into the bedroom. She gets playful then and likes to attack my feet as I walk, and we play for a while. But when I get into bed she will jump up and eventually she will lay down on my chest, until I chase her off and turn off the light.
Are you describing your wife showing appreciation for you allowing her to bring the cat in the house?

There I was, with my young lady in the privacy of her house, doing what young people have been doing since there were young people. In the throes of passion, penultimate to the climactic moment when one of her half dozen felines sat squarely on my six and dug in its very sharp claws.

My opinion of felines has not been altogether favorable since that time.

What kind of rip off is this?
I was expecting a recipe, and wine suggestions for cat.

My first cat adopted us, rather our Great Dane, one summer. Jerry (the dog) was fed during warm weather on the picnic bench. You are suppose to feed Danes at shoulder height. To our surprise, the cat decided to join Jerry for his evening meal. He had no problem letting his dinner date eat right out of his dish. This went on for the rest of the summer (Illinois) weather. Got to where if the cat was late for feed time, Jerry would wait on her. True Gentleman! When winter arrived and feeding moved indoors we let her in. Of course, she felt obligated to show her appreciation so one night she sneaked a mouse into the house keeping us entertained with cat\mouse antics. Jerry just laid on the floor watching his dinner partner play with her food. Brenda stayed with us for years. She actually outlived Jerry.

My current feline partner is a 16 lb. Maine Coon named Max that I adopted from the Humane Society 9 years ago. There have been others in between but these are my 2 favorites.

Before the boss closed the shop we had two 'hangar' cats, a tom and a tabby. The tom took his ornery pill every morning and just wanted to be left alone. OTOH, the tabby would sit on my lap while the boss and I planned the day and shot the bull, all the while purring her heart out.

A few weeks ago we were in Petsmart getting something for her old cat & they had kittens from the local humane society for sale. After looking at them we decided we'd rather rescue a cat. My wife made the comment that a needy cat would come our way eventually.
I really enjoyed your thread, but I have a question:

Why do you not consider a cat from the humane society, that is taken to Pet Smart to find a home, not a "rescue cat"?

That is the South East Asia cooking thread by Sac Arrow that you are looking for.
The correct answer is that the cat is fed to a dog then you wok the dog.

I saw no cats or dogs in Korea when I was stationed there....

Obviously you didn’t go to a restaurant.

Cheers

I may have unknowingly had some though. When I was there wasn't many restaurants, but many street vendors selling fried something.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed your thread, but I have a question:

Why do you not consider a cat from the humane society, that is taken to Pet Smart to find a home, not a "rescue cat"?

Good question JOhnH. The clerks at Petsmart told us they adopt out almost every cat they get from the humane society without fail. Some just take longer than others, so it's almost a guarantee for the cat. Whereas, the actual humane society ends up euthanizing the cats that nobody wants. So if this cat hadn't ended up under my car we probably would have gone to the HS & got one there.

It really is sad how careless our society is with pets.

You don't pick the cat, it picks you... the black and white showed up morning all to beat to hell and we nursed it back... a year later the grey on showed up same situation... I think they were brothers... Been around ever since.

DSC_0050.JPG

Our last cat died at 17 years last summer. He adopted us in Medicine Park, OK in ‘99 as tiny kitten and quickly became my cat. I seriously miss him as he sat in my lap every evening. It has taken two dogs to replace him.

44203f67238a9f172af01e7cd6138d6d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I saw no cats or dogs in Korea when I was stationed there....

Obviously you didn’t go to a restaurant.

One of my favorite Chinese restaurants gives you a free order of dumplings when you've had 5 orders and they track it by giving you a card and then tracking your order by stamping cats on the card. I don't know if they get the irony or if the joke is on us.

My current feline partner is a 16 lb. Maine Coon named Max that I adopted from the Humane Society 9 years ago. There have been others in between but these are my 2 favorites.

I would love a Maine Coon cat but I am afraid it would beat up the dogs....

I DON'T LIKE CATS. Hey someone had to spoil the moment. :dunno:
True story, short version. We had a cat named Amelia who specialized in people. Really understood them in a way I had never seen.

We wanted our house interior painted and one of the painters who gave us an estimate, Pete, took one look at Amelia and said, "oh, you have a cat. I don’t like cats." He gave an estimate anyway and we hired him. He spent a week being supervised by her.

Fast forward some years. We were selling our house and called Pete to change our walls to "move out white." First words out of his mouth: "do you still have that great cat?"

We have a number of other similar stories.

BTW, Amelia absolutely hated cats. She loved dogs.

Passed on last summer at 17. Irreplaceable.

Back