New Career

dstrw11

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
dstrw11
I wanted to see if anyone could possibly give me any insight into what the average day working as A&P is, particularly for a small to mid-size FBO. I'm trying to get a little deeper than just salary information and more into benefits and quality of life. I've found a certificate program at a community college about an hour away.

I'm 28 years old and have a B.S. in biology from UNC Chapel Hill. I've been working in a biotech lab for the past 5.5 years and I'm just not passionate about the job. I'm definitely thankful for the job because it provided me with a salary good enough to get my private pilot certificate back in June. I'm really trying to learn about careers in aviation outside of the cockpit because I'm not really interested in racking up a bunch of debt to get flight time and I don't think I'd enjoy being away from home and my new wife.

Thanks for any advice!

From a pilot standpoint, all the APs I've met who are happy and seem to enjoy a good QOL are working for themselves.

From a pilot standpoint, all the APs I've met who are happy and seem to enjoy a good QOL are working for themselves.

Heh.

My A&P is the hardest-working person I know, but he claims it's not work, because he loves what he is doing.

Particularly the ones drawing a retirement or pension elsewhere.

Or the ones who know how to run a business.

Lots of business around if you're smart enough to know how to take it.

If I got the certificate, that would be my plan eventually. I'd like to get a feel for what aspect I enjoy most about the work, and then start a business focusing on whatever aspect that is.

Is there anything in the regs that prohibit someone with an IA from doing the annual on their own aircraft?

Seems like hard work to me. What part of the Biology lab don't you like? I'd tell you to go to graduate school instead. They pay you, and the work may be hard, but it isn't physical and it is very clean. Also, if you're any good you can pretty much go wherever you want.

Of course, the other salient thing is are you a good mechanic?

Do keep in mind, the grass is always greener on the other side.

Last edited:
Get a part time job at the airport doing the stuff the A&P's don't want to, cleaning stuff, pulling covers, stuff you'd have to do if you were a mechanic without a helper monkey. Be the helper monkey, then you will know.

Get a part time job at the airport doing the stuff the A&P's don't want to, cleaning stuff, pulling covers, stuff you'd have to do if you were a mechanic without a helper monkey. Be the helper monkey, then you will know.

this.....it ain't all roses and I doubt the pay will be anything close to what you're making.:no:

Last edited:

I think this is probably what I need to do first. I believe the manager of my local FBO is working on getting his A/P so I'm going to have a sit down with him the next time I'm at the airport. Like steingar said, the grass is always greener, and I know I'll never be certain unless I at least dip my toe in the water.

As far as working in the lab, it's definitely not hard work and the pay and benefits are good for someone with a bachelor's degree. It's just something that I kind of fell into instead of being something that I care about. Graduate school is definitely a no go. Even if I enjoyed being in the lab, grad school seems to be a complete waste of time. I'm doing the same work that someone with a PhD is doing, but I haven't had to live in poverty the past five years.

Am I a good mechanic? :dunno:
I enjoy doing the maintenance on my pickup that I feel comfortable attempting. I'm going to be replacing the calipers and rotors on my F150 this week, but I'm definitely going to need to have someone looking over my shoulder.

this.....it ain't all roses and a doubt the pay will be anything close to what you're making.:no:
I think the suggestion to get a part-time job was a good one. That's not to say the OP should quit his or her current job.

Isn't there a way to get credit towards the A&P by performing work under supervision?

I think the suggestion to get a part-time job was a good one. That's not to say the OP should quit his or her current job.

Isn't there a way to get credit towards the A&P by performing work under supervision?

Yup.....don't quit your day job just yet. ....if you like $10-15/hr....that's what I'd expect.

Credit towards the A&P can be gained with work experience....but it usually requires "full time" work in a shop for 2-3 years.

Full disclosure.....part-time A&P/IA here.....note, I didn't quit my day job. :)

Last edited:
Yup.....don't quit your day job just yet. ....if you like $10-15/hr....that's what I'd expect.

Credit towards the A&P can be gained with work experience....but it usually requires "full time" work in a shop for 2-3 years.

Depends on what he enjoys, not everyone wants to do the 3-4 standard issue high school counselor recommend jobs.

$15hr starting is GREAT pay for not going to "work"

$40hr is a horrible exchange for waisting away for the majority of your life "doing" something you don't enjoy.

Also the APs I know own some nice planes, and have some decent homes, most also drink craft beer and enjoy steaks, many have a few motorcycles or other toys. If you're a entrepreneur type it ain't exactly a bad job, especially if it's not a job to you.

Just make sure you love it as much as you think, maybe take some vacation time and find a AP who would would let you apprentice for a week.

Last edited:
I think a lot of high school students could benefit from being told that. A four year degree is not a guarantee of happiness or financial security. Granted I graduated from a science and mathematics focused boarding high school that provided free tuition to any public university in North Carolina so I didn't accrue very much debt in college. However, I don't think most smart high school students realize the careers that are possible by learning a trade at a community college.

My brother in law is still in high school and I'm trying to point him towards aviation maintenance since he's already interested in welding and shop work.

Right now, she is a "new wife".

Some day she will be an " old wife".

Don't discount the allure of a flying job and being gone.....

Right now, she is a "new wife".

Some day she will be an " old wife".

Don't discount the allure of a flying job and being gone.....

:lol:

Honestly everything I've read about life as an airline pilot seems completely unappealing and I'd hate to grow to hate flying. The one flying job that sounds remotely appealing is jump pilot.

I think a lot of high school students could benefit from being told that. A four year degree is not a guarantee of happiness or financial security. Granted I graduated from a science and mathematics focused boarding high school that provided free tuition to any public university in North Carolina so I didn't accrue very much debt in college. However, I don't think most smart high school students realize the careers that are possible by learning a trade at a community college.

My brother in law is still in high school and I'm trying to point him towards aviation maintenance since he's already interested in welding and shop work.

I know far too many people who hold some kind of degree with education debt and are just scraping by. Most of those were "idealists" when they were younger, got knocked up post college and stopped perusing their career goals for kids and/or father.

BTW, there is very very little in-the-field welding on aircraft.

If I were to change careers I'd look at CNC machine operator, programming etc.

I was just saying that he's good with his hands and likes to be in a shop working. Not that he would be welding aircraft.

I was just saying that he's good with his hands and likes to be in a shop working. Not that he would be welding aircraft.

Its not uncommon for off the street people to get hired at a large FBO/Repair station into a back shop like a cabinet shop, paint shop or upholstery shop with basically zero experience and in a few years take Airframe and/or Powerplant exams then transfer to the floor.

The bottom line with aircraft is a sharp eye, integrity and a level head will make your career. Being able to read, write, competently type, conform parts, assemblies etc to drawings is a must.

Far too many mechanics can't write and its gets worse when they type. They are great at what they do but not when it comes to paperwork. Folks that are great at paperwork and catching errors end up in quality assurance.

Last edited:
As far as working in the lab, it's definitely not hard work and the pay and benefits are good for someone with a bachelor's degree. It's just something that I kind of fell into instead of being something that I care about. Graduate school is definitely a no go. Even if I enjoyed being in the lab, grad school seems to be a complete waste of time. I'm doing the same work that someone with a PhD is doing, but I haven't had to live in poverty the past five years.

I agree, you should not go to graduate school. If this is what you really think about scientific training you don't have the chops to be a scientist. Sorry to be negative.

Seems like hard work to me. What part of the Biology lab don't you like? I'd tell you to go to graduate school instead. They pay you, and the work may be hard, but it isn't physical and it is very clean. Also, if you're any good you can pretty much go wherever you want.

Of course, the other salient thing is are you a good mechanic?

Do keep in mind, the grass is always greener on the other side.

I think this is probably what I need to do first. I believe the manager of my local FBO is working on getting his A/P so I'm going to have a sit down with him the next time I'm at the airport. Like steingar said, the grass is always greener, and I know I'll never be certain unless I at least dip my toe in the water.

Am I a good mechanic? :dunno:
I enjoy doing the maintenance on my pickup that I feel comfortable attempting. I'm going to be replacing the calipers and rotors on my F150 this week, but I'm definitely going to need to have someone looking over my shoulder.

If working on airplanes is what you want to do, go for it. And if someone looks down on you for not being in a lab or going to grad school, it's no skin off your back. Give it a shot; you might find a calling.

If working on airplanes is what you want to do, go for it. And if someone looks down on you for not being in a lab or going to grad school, it's no skin off your back. Give it a shot; you might find a calling.

I wasn't "looking down" at anyone for wanting to be a mechanic. Like I said, I just think it's really hard physical work. Better money to be made more easily in lab science.

I said our OP didn't have the goods to be a scientist for because he doesn't. He sees graduate work as enforced poverty. A scientist sees it as a time of relatively unencumbered discovery. I didn't need much of a stipend when I was a graduate student because I spent the vast majority of my time doing research. One of the best times of my life. Ask most scientists and they'll get quite nostalgic about their graduate work.

Doesn't mean he wouldn't be good at it. It just means that he doesn't really want to do it. Just because he doesn't share your level of enthusiasm doesn't mean he isn't cut out to be a good scientist.

Doesn't mean he wouldn't be good at it. It just means that he doesn't really want to do it. Just because he doesn't share your level of enthusiasm doesn't mean he isn't cut out to be a good scientist.

Believe me, if he doesn't enjoy discovery he isn't cut out to be a scientist. That is the best part of the job.

I can think of no greater job satisfaction than having the responsibility of a "grounded" unairworthy aircraft and troubleshooting/repairing it, returning it to service, and watching it takeoff/depart. Nearly all the mechanics I know work for one of the better paying majors, most make six figures, work a 40 week, they don't take their work home and are very happy. My brother-in-law owns his own business, makes ?, obviously more, he owns a Mercedes CLS550... but works around the clock.

You definitely don't need a graduate degree to make scientific discoveries. I've already had my undergraduate research work published, and the vast majority of the time that I was doing that work, my principal investigator was having to beg for grant money.

There just isn't a lot of value in a graduate degree in biology unless you want to be a professor. The government just isn't funding basic research, especially with the House being run the way it is these days.

Having a job you love is a huge plus. Not all job satisfaction is measured in dollars. If you don't get your A&P maybe you can open a gym and help people be able to perform jobs requiring strength and hard work.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

You really need apprentice for a week. I am on day 3 of a owner assist annual. pretty darn sore and tired. It is not an office job. You will stay in shape and be flexible.

You really need apprentice for a week. I am on day 3 of a owner assist annual. pretty darn sore and tired. It is not an office job. You will stay in shape and be flexible.

Thanks. I believe you're right about jumping in and hanging out around the shop for a bit. Thanks everybody for the responses. I'm also going to talk to someone at the community college to see what a realistic timeframe is for getting the education required to take the exams.

Thanks. I believe you're right about jumping in and hanging out around the shop for a bit. Thanks everybody for the responses. I'm also going to talk to someone at the community college to see what a realistic timeframe is for getting the education required to take the exams.

I've been "apprenticing" for years. I don't really even care if I ever take the exams, though maybe I'll buckle down on it. Working in the ag world, when your plane breaks, you don't get to go nap while the mechanic fixes everything. It's good knowledge for any pilot, knowing how their machine operates, and is put together. Community college timeframe for your certificate? Two years.

Where I went to school:

The Federal Aviation Administration requires a minimum of 1900 hours of training in an Aviation Maintenance Technician Program. The program at Columbus State requires 4 semesters and 2 summer sessions of full time study to meet that requirement. Full-time students attend between 8:00 AM and 1-2:00 PM, Monday through Friday. There is also a night program that offers courses in the evening on a part-time basis.

In addition, an Associate of Applied Science Degree in Aviation Maintenance can be earned while completing the A&P certificate program.

I'm with the crowd of find someone to apprentice for for awhile and see what you think. There are lots of regs to learn, as well as you'll NEVER have a big enough tool box :D

Once you find out if its for you or not, look for a niche to work in. I do most all older aircraft, tube or wood and fabric. I do pretty well at it, but still have a day job, its been really tempting to leave the day job, and that may be coming sooner, rather than later..

One thing to consider if you decide to go the Part 147 route and pursue the certificate ( which I personally recommend), your bachelor's may allow you to shorten your time. I did mine after already having a B.S and was able to cut 3 months off of a 15 month full time program. I don't work as a mechanic currently but am glad I did the training and got the cert when I did. Made me a much better pilot and engineer because of the amazing level of understanding of the nuts and bolts (sorry, bad pun) of aircraft.

Patrick

The one flying job that sounds remotely appealing is jump pilot.

Only if you like flying in a circle for 15 - 20 minutes at a time. Ive got a LOT of jumps so I spend a LOT of time in jump planes and while it looks like something I could do for a while, it wouldn't be a long term gig

Only if you like flying in a circle for 15 - 20 minutes at a time. Ive got a LOT of jumps so I spend a LOT of time in jump planes and while it looks like something I could do for a while, it wouldn't be a long term gig

When I would sit co pilot in twotters they'd offer me the controls, I couldn't be bothered. Not a whole lot of fun. Plus Jump pilots are last allowed time off(if ever) when the weather sucks.

Credit towards the A&P can be gained with work experience....but it usually requires "full time" work in a shop for 2-3 years. :)

That's just not so. Without looking it up to quote verbatim, I believe it is 18 months to sit for the A part and another 18 months to sit for the P exam. Or 30 months combined to sit for both at the same time.

Again, without looking it up, I believe that the FAA accepts a 30 hour work week, so if you work 10 hours a week, in 3 weeks you get an "FAA week".

It takes one HELL of a long time doing it that way; you can get the same credits at a community college and it is mostly fun along the way, but you don't get paid a dime.

BUT, the "hours" aren't all with a wrench in your hand. If you find an A/P to mentor you and you want to wrench under his/her supervision, that counts. If you want to read maintenance manuals at home and the A/P is willing to sign off for "work" under those conditions, so be it. Each minute counts, and when you get 76,500 minutes you get to sit for the A&P written, then take a practical test in front of a designated examiner.

Jim

Back