new battery proper storage

mr_happyland

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
mr_happyland
I just purchased a new battery for my Tiger (Concorde 24v) as I can tell my current one (4.5yrs) is getting more and more sluggish with starting up. While I'm not quite ready to swap in the new one, I purchased it b/c I didn't want supply issues to bite me a couple months down the line if I was in a pinch.

Is my new battery OK to sit in its box for a month or two or three? or should I hook up my battery minder to maintain a full charge for that duration of time?

Is my new battery OK to sit in its box for a month or two or three? or should I hook up my battery minder to maintain a full charge for that duration of time?
Look at the battery manual which should/might show recommended storage practices. If not in that manual find the correct one online at Concorde for the info. Just make sure you use an aircraft battery minder as the charge rates are different than vehicle ones and you can shorten the battery life. Also, if your current battery is only 4.5 years may want to look over your aircraft electrical system and check for parasitic drains. No reason you shouldn't get 7+ years out of batteries with the proper care and a healthy electrical system.

This video answered my own question, in case anybody is interested. A cool and dry storage area seems to be most ideal. Sounds like my hangar should be a good place for the next several months.

Back