NEW APPAREO Stratus ESG Pricing announced today..

If it receives 987 UAT and can display on Garmin products like the GTN-750 or GNS series then it's a winner for Class A/international flyers.

The problem now is that Garmin makes nothing that has has 1090ES out and 987 UAT in. So you pay to have the out but get no benefits from weather and traffic. Sucko.

Is it a re-badged or completely newly developed unit ?

I think the price is decent. $2500 is the starting point for the new transponders, and they don't have built in WAAS.

so the questions becomes . . . .

Do you spend $5000 to install this - or

$7000 upgrading my 530 to 530w and my GTX-330 to 330ex?

I'm still on the 530w track I think. . . .

Have a few prices to upgrade to the garmin 330 es transponder,6k with a 327 trade in installed. Seems easier for the price difference. Waiting to check out all the options at sun n fun.

So much can happen in five years, why are you guys rushing out to spend thousands now? :dunno:

So much can happen in five years, why are you guys rushing out to spend thousands now? :dunno:

Traffic doesn't work without ADS-B out. With ADS-B out traffic can work really well. Many people want that now.

Through most of my flying 'career' traffic display in the cockpit was the stuff of airliners. That I could have that (and WX which I get already) with the installation of an ADS-B out box (and the ipad/FF/stratus combo I'd have anyway) is, if not compelling, at least interesting.

I don't think I'd characterize it as "rushing" though. People will upgrade when money and functionality permit. And this is a discussion of both.

Last edited:
Anyone else looking at these Stratus ESG Ads-B Out All in One units?

I am - I fly to Canada and the Bahamas on occasion, so am interested in 1090 rather than 978/UAT for ADS-B out. I have Garmin 430s (non-WAAS) and Garmin 327 transponder, so the cheapest route for me, prior to this Appareo announcement, would be either to upgrade a 430 or two and buy a 330-es (which I think would be about $7000-$10000 in parts only depending on whether I upgrade both 430s), or to go with the L-3 Lynx 1090 solution, which is also in the $6000-7000 range [parts only].

So this $3450 solution from Appareo is attractive to me, even though I don't use a Stratus or Foreflight.

Of course none of the $$$ I mentioned above includes installation, but this Appareo solution seems to be, by far, the cheapest way so far for those of us without WAAS navigators to get to 1090-out.

Looks like they're not going to be certified and shipping until late this year, though, which means we still have Sun N Fun and Oshkosh to see if any other similar products are announced.

One concern I have is that Appareo doesn't have any experience building transponders, panel-mount avionics, or certified avionics in general. So will certification get bogged down? Will they have service & support issues? Reliability / heat issues (transponders put out a lot of power so can get hot pretty quickly), etc.?

Traffic doesn't work without ADS-B out. With ADS-B out traffic can work really well. Many people want that now.

Through most of my flying 'career' traffic display in the cockpit was the stuff of airliners. That I could have that (and WX which I get already) with the installation of an ADS-B out box (and the ipad/FF/stratus combo I'd have anyway) is, if not compelling, at least interesting.

I don't think I'd characterize it as "rushing" though. People will upgrade when money and functionality permit. And this is a discussion of both.

I can dig it. I'm going to wait and see if prices come down but on the flip side of the coin as the mandate approaches prices may go up so it's a roll of the dice as usual. :rolleyes:

... it's a roll of the dice as usual. :rolleyes:
Another aspect that doesn't get mentioned much is this: January 1, 2020 the ADS-B vendor shakeout will begin. There will be a hangover of airplanes that are still getting the hardware but from that point the fun is over. Only vendors for whom ADS-B is not a primary source of revenue are likely to survive. So the dice roll is to guess which vendor will still be there for you after you've had the hardware for a while.

Will they keep the Stratus ahrs functionality? That would be cool, but I doubt it could be certified with it.

Will they keep the Stratus ahrs functionality? That would be cool, but I doubt it could be certified with it.

As I understand it, this new Stratus ESG transponder is just a Mode S transponder that meets the ADS-B out mandate. It doesn't provide any ADS-B in, so no traffic, weather, let alone AHRS.

But, if you own or buy a Stratus portable unit, then you can piggyback on the antenna and obtain power from the Stratus transponder, and it is the portable Stratus unit that would provide all the ADS-B in (and AHRS if you have Status II) to your iPad.

I don't use an iPad or ForeFlight/Stratus portable, but even just the transponder itself is compelling for me since it seems to be the cheapest/easiest way currently announced to add 1090-ES ADS-B out if you don't already have a WAAS GPS navigator and/or Mode S transponder.

If it receives 987 UAT and can display on Garmin products like the GTN-750 or GNS series then it's a winner for Class A/international flyers.

The problem now is that Garmin makes nothing that has has 1090ES out and 987 UAT in. So you pay to have the out but get no benefits from weather and traffic. Sucko.

Use the GDL-39-3D for UAT in and piggy back it to Garmin Pilot devices as well.

so the questions becomes . . . .

Do you spend $5000 to install this - or

$7000 upgrading my 530 to 530w and my GTX-330 to 330ex?

I'm still on the 530w track I think. . . .

It's best designed for small airplanes with no GPS and no need for gps but still need to meet the ADS-B Out requirement.

Our glider tow rarely leaves the airport area, has zero available panel space but needs to meet the requirements inside the Class B Mode C ring.

I don't know that anyone is rushing.....but for some of us, this is tempting.

I already have Stratus 2 and ForeFlight. And my current Collins Xpdr is not likely to last another 5 years, so this is indeed tempting for me.

Yep, people buy the transponder to activate the local traffic system themselves rather than counting on someone else to do be compliant.

Yep, people buy the transponder to activate the local traffic system themselves rather than counting on someone else to do be compliant.

Thats why I did the GDL88. My Stratus was sporadic before. Now the whole package is outstanding.:yes:

What's the best route for someone who has a 430w and kt76a transponder? With or without traffic?

What's the best route for someone who has a 430w and kt76a transponder? With or without traffic?

We don't have the GPS, we are waiting for the new xpndrs with GPS and ADSB-out all in one unit. They are starting to show up in the marketplace.

Your KT76 is not ES "Extended Squitter" capable. So you will need something to broadcast either on 1090ES or UAT frequency for ADSB Out capability and connect to the 430W, I am not sure the 430W was designed for xpndr connection.

We don't have the GPS, we are waiting for the new xpndrs with GPS and ADSB-out all in one unit. They are starting to show up in the marketplace.

Your KT76 is not ES "Extended Squitter" capable. So you will need something to broadcast either on 1090ES or UAT frequency for ADSB Out capability and connect to the 430W, I am not sure the 430W was designed for xpndr connection.

The 430W connects to a transponder just fine since the 430w/330ES is an approved ADS-B out installation - I believe it is 429 out from the 430w. Of course the transponder will need an STC to connect to the 430w which may be your very valid concern.

This just in:

ForeFlight announced new panel connections to include FreeFlight integration today at Sun N Fun. FreeFlight integration isn't included in the upcoming version that'll. be available after Sun N Fun, but will be available to you all in a later release.

I am very disappointed as I thought this would be the $2000 solution. $3450 wouldn't be bad INSTALLED.

Oh well, we still have five years and a couple of wake-ups.

The 430W connects to a transponder just fine since the 430w/330ES is an approved ADS-B out installation - I believe it is 429 out from the 430w. Of course the transponder will need an STC to connect to the 430w which may be your very valid concern.

I don't have panel space in the Pawnee for a GPS unit like the 430w. Purchase price for a WAAS GPS and compatible transponder for ADSB out makes the all in one units the preferred option both on dollars and space. I don't need a GPS to navigate around a traffic pattern towing gliders.

I like it. I have an old Narco 150 xponder that cannot last forever so I was already thinking of getting a new transponder. I do not have any panel GPS, so this works for me. I like that they intend to work with other ADS-B receivers other than Status.

I'm definitely in the camp of those that will consider the ESG when it releases. I fly with ForeFlight, have a Stratus 2, and being able to put the Stratus 2 in the glovebox and run it from ship power and GPS antenna would be great--get it off the suction cup in the side window.

It's 1090ES, so it covers international flight / flight above FL180, both of which matter to me with a TR182 that has a "certificated maximum operating altitude" of FL200 (but can easily go higher in a pinch/emergency--Cessna didn't want the TR182 to compete with the T210/P210 sales).

So, I get 1090ES capability and 978 UAT services in... good deal.

If you view that video, stay for the end where the speaker tells you what was involved in installing this ADS-B box.

You'll see why the installation cost of any of these boxes is going to be the expensive part, compared to just the price of the box. I think a good rule of thumb would be to be ready to add 70-90% to the price of the box in order to fly away with your new ADSB unit, at least in the case of installing in an old airplane.

Question: If you just buy a transponder with 1090 ADS-b out, one that connects to your existing Garmin WAAS GPS, does the eliminate the need for a new antenna?

I just pre-ordered mine.. They say it will ship around April if the FAA tests go well.. If not then I get store credit for my deposit... I guess if I decide to get an Aspen then I will go another route but I am pretty sure the ESG is the way I am going to go still...

I just pre-ordered mine.. They say it will ship around April if the FAA tests go well.. If not then I get store credit for my deposit... I guess if I decide to get an Aspen then I will go another route but I am pretty sure the ESG is the way I am going to go still...

From where did you pre-order?

Have you got a rough quote for install? I was told around $2-2500. That makes this a $55 to 6k unit. Um.....yeah.

Question: If you just buy a transponder with 1090 ADS-b out, one that connects to your existing Garmin WAAS GPS, does the eliminate the need for a new antenna?

No new antenna was required when I had the 330ES installed. The 430W was existing.

Back