New and Don’t know what to do.

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by Madison890, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Madison890

Madison890 Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mady
    I don’t know what some of these acronyms are but I’ll learn quickly. It’s funny you mention that the mechanic has mentioned probably eight things that he says are on the nice to get to later list. He has a completely separate list in order to get it in annual. I thought it was funny when he said nice to get to later, I asked what it would take to get to it all now and he said a mechanic with more time on his hands. Haha most of the ‘nice to’ list involves cosmetics. He recommended I find a knowledgeable mechanic in my area.

2. Rgbeard

Rgbeard Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    rgbeard
    Not a joke - this is an issue with mouse infested cars, as well.

Wipe down EVERYTHING inside that you can. Hantavirus sucks.

benyflyguy and Zeldman like this.
  3. Madison890

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mady

Hahaha man there was some scary scary stuff in that hangar. I wish I had more pics of other things worse things than that toilet. If I wasn’t so excited about the plane I might have a Valid PTSD claim moving forward.

4. Tom-D

Tom-D Taxi to Parking PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom-D
    Once you get it flying you'll understand what I mean. things that have not run for a while tend to be short lifed.

mondtster likes this.
  5. Madison890

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mady

I left the logs with the mechanic, but there was a difference between last annual and tach time. I could be Wrong but I was thinking it was close to 20 hours difference. With the amount of dust on the outside of the plane I assumed it had been sitting for at least three years which would make sense being that’s how long it has been out of annual. Having Now spoken to more people in the area it now seems that maybe it had been sitting much less than that. That area of the country I guess is constantly gusty and has plenty of dirt to accumulate a larger amount of dust that I am used to. Again no way far me to tell, but I’ve been described as annoying optimistic so I’ll try and believe it’s sat less than three years. I can’t imagine it’s been flown in at least a year though. I am going to try and fly with it Is i can. Not concerned about logging flight hours just interested in the experience. I’m a former Army infantryman and find it hard to imagine anything too scary to get me to shy away from flying and having fun in the air. Ive been wrong before though so we will see. Whoever ends up flying it back will have final say on who rides though.

6. Tom-D

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom-D
    It could have flown for 12 calendar months after the date of the last annual. 20 hours wouldn't surprise me.
    then it only sat 2 years.

7. Madison890

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mady
    Yeah I would guess that is about right. There were some false statements made leading up to the purchase. The previous owner and I are pretty cool now and it seems more accurate information is being divulged. I wouldn’t say anyone lied its probably that now I am asking more exact question. Previous owner is actually pretty cool guy and held plane for a day with a bunch of over asking price offers. I’m lucky I got it, well that’s how I feel anyway. Thanks again for all the advice and encouragement.

8. ircphoenix

ircphoenix En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    ircphoenix
    It worries me a little to hear you say you haven't started flight training, you don't know much about the process of purchasing an aircraft, you haven't gotten your medical done... all seems like you've put the cart before the horse.

I sincerely hope it works out well for you.

Bobanna and SkyDog58 like this.
  9. SkyDog58

SkyDog58 Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Canis Non Grata
    But I do not believe that you have any experience with this particular plane or the mechanic doing the work so what you wrote is pure guess work. The fact is that you do not know how detailed and thorough of an inspection and maintenance process it will go through. None of us do. And speaking from experience, some mechanics don’t do as thorough of a job as others.

10. timwinters

timwinters Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    LTD
    That's what I did. I wrote a check for a pretty old '57, 172, scratched my nuts, and said, "hmmmm, guess I ought to learn how to fly."

Granted, mine was at my home field and I had a good friend who was an A/P on the field. That's a bit safer than buying one 4 states away.

I'd highly recommend buying a plane to learn how to fly in. It gave me a completely different and better attitude towards my training than had I been renting. Plus, I KNEW my plane was safely maintained.

11. Tom-D

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom-D
    I knew you'd be the one who wouldn't understand.
    Read my post and tell me what I guessed about.
    When you get experience in this area you know I'm right.
    Appliances like radios, instruments, alternators, starters simply don't do well after setting for long periods.
    every thing may work and be airworthy now, but the next 100 hours will tell.

Ryanb likes this.
  12. WannFly

WannFly En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    WannaFly
    aint that the truth...

13. WannFly

WannFly En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    WannaFly
    same here, only difference is I did have my medical and a student pilot license. but everytime I spoke about buying a plane to my then CFI, he told me in numerous direct and indirect ways not to do it since he wasn't confident that I will ever solo. I heard what he said (showed him the middle finger in my mind), paid little attention to it, hired a ferry pilot, went to WA , saw the plane for the first time, the ferry pilot did the pre-buy, next day flew over cascades and then at night over Midwest back home.

if one can afford it, learning in their own plane is invaluable. takes a little more time since now you are now an owner and thats a full time job by itself depending on how engaged you want to be.

14. Zeldman

Zeldman Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Billy

^^^^This ^^^^

If I had quit every time I was told I could not or should not attempt to do something I never would have left the first grade.

I used to carry a note in my wallet that said, ''If you don't try, you have already failed.''

azblackbird, 3393RP, Bobanna and 2 others like this.
  15. Tom-D

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom-D
    Maybe not this one, but I've been here before. Why do you think when I do an old birds wake up I replace every thing? This ain't my first rodeo.

Ryanb likes this.
  16. Madison890

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mady
    I’m pleased to report that my uncle has come to the rescue. He has bunches of experience around small and large aircraft. He will be there in the am as will I to meet and observe mechanic at work. He was in Air Force in Alaska for 20+ years. I thought he might have time to come take a look and it just so happened he was en-route. I’ll have pics and posts tomorrow afternoon. Thanks again guys.

UngaWunga, 3393RP, WannFly and 3 others like this.
  17. Ryanb

Ryanb Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    Looking forward to seeing them!

18. david.h

david.h Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    david.h
    Please post what you can.

19. Tom-D

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom-D
    My best advice on this aircraft.
    get ADlog.com
    start it at this annual, have the A&P check and comply with every AD listed.
    Log the annual in the new logs and go from there. place the old logs in safe keeping there is nothing in them that means anything anymore.

20. apr911

apr911 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    apr911
    At least until you go to sell the plane (hence why you should keep the logs in a safe place).

21. Tom-D

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom-D
    True, a buyer perspective not a maintenance issue, until a new AD comes out requiring research.

22. farmrjohn

farmrjohn Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    farmrjohn
    Ominously quiet, must have run into some "issues".

23. Jeff767

Jeff767 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jeff767
    I suspect given the pictures he posted there were a lot of issues. They will get sorted out but it will take time and money. Airplanes hate to sit!

24. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    UngaWunga
    Man, I'm proud of this forum. You guys/galls ALMOST got to the second page before getting all negative and preachy and ****. Congratulations.

Wish I was closer so I could help out. After getting it through an annual, I'd fly it around the pattern for 30min - an hour, land, and check everything out. If it looks good, head home. Have fun!

Mike Smith and 3393RP like this.
  25. deadeye99

deadeye99 Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    deadeye99
    I am eagerly awaiting the follow up. This could go in any direction. OP? @Madison890

26. farmrjohn

farmrjohn Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    farmrjohn
    I'm afraid no news is not good news. It's almost a week since "I’ll have pics and posts tomorrow afternoon" was posted. I was hoping for a happy ending to this tale.

27. Piperonca

Piperonca Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Piperonca