New Airworthiness Certificate

JohnAJohnson

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
JohnAJohnson
I'll be changing my N Number when I paint and understand I must get a new Airworthiness Certificate from the FSDO. Anyone done this? And what is that process like? Will the FSDO go through the airplane, logs, records at OKC, etc. with a fine toothed comb to insure it meets the TCDS (+STCs)?

No, but they will probably want briefly look at the logbooks to determine the airplane has maintained and received inspections as required.

It’s an administrative action, not an airworthiness determination. Call your FSDO.

I must get a new Airworthiness Certificate from the FSDO. Anyone done this? And what is that process like?
Every FSDO seems to be different, but once you complete your registration change process, take your new registration form(s) and your current AWC to the FSDO and they will issue a replacement AWC. Or if you want, contact a local DAR and they will do the same but for a fee. A call to the FSDO prior and schedule an appointment and take care of any questions you have. Never experienced any record review due to reg change. A lost AWC is another matter.

I had to replace a missing AWC on a homebuilt I bought. Had to do it in person at the FSDO, they briefly looked at the logbooks to confirm the required inspection and signoffs had been done, and gave me the new certificate. Pretty painless except for having to a waste a vacation day from work to go there.

Am I missing something, the AWC doesn't have the N number on it?, does it, not near the plane now, but I am thinking no N # on it

Am I missing something, the AWC doesn't have the N number on it?, does it, not near the plane now, but I am thinking no N # on it
Yes, it does. Been caught twice on ramp checks with the wrong N-number on my AWC. :eek:

Yes, it does. Been caught twice on ramp checks with the wrong N-number on my AWC. :eek:
What are you doing and where that you get ramp checked?

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

@SixPapaCharlie did the number change on his Grumman so you can ask him about the process.

And for the ramp check, I've had one. The guys were out to do a checkride for someone and decided to ramp check people to kill time. No big deal.

but I am thinking no N # on it
FYI: wrong N number on AWC is in the top 5 of ramp check finds along with missing/outdated empty weight - equipment list, missing/illegible placards, and missing/outdated Operating Limitations for Experimental aircraft.

Back